Hotel New York - some daft questions!

HappySlinky

Earning My Ears
We are booked into Hotel New York this September (stayed in Newport Bay 3 years ago - and I stayed at Cheyenne about 22 years ago!) and I just have a few daft questions as I don't like surprises!

- Would we have a kettle in the room, could we request one or would we have to take a travel one?

- Are all the safes very small? I think we would at least want to put a standard ipad, passports etc into one.

- Are the minibars all locked now? I don't want to use the stuff out of it, but like to empty it and fill it with my own water and Babybels ;-) We did have problems 3 years ago as we kept getting loads of stuff coming up on the room bill when I was taking things in and out but this was cancelled at reception with no problem.

- Is there any particular room / area of the hotel I should try and request or are they all generally quite similar? Apart from the above the main thing would be if there was a slightly bigger room with space for the kids to play (we got this through sheer luck in Newport Bay as we had a top one with a bay window), apart from that I guess close to the main doors would be better and as far as views go my preference would be seeing the park - no matter how far away! I guess I should add that my partner would always go for a room with a better tv.

Sorry, I'm sure I should be able to find this info somewhere, but honestly I have looked and can't find anything recent, although as HNY is due a refurb after we leave, probably the old information is as good as any.

We are booked into Hotel New York this September (stayed in Newport Bay 3 years ago - and I stayed at Cheyenne about 22 years ago!) and I just have a few daft questions as I don't like surprises!

- Would we have a kettle in the room, could we request one or would we have to take a travel one?

Kettles are not provided but you can request one from housekeeping, no charge.

- Are all the safes very small? I think we would at least want to put a standard ipad, passports etc into one.

The safe size varies. The original ones are very small, passport size, but there are some newer safes that are digital and will take a 15" laptop.

- Are the minibars all locked now? I don't want to use the stuff out of it, but like to empty it and fill it with my own water and Babybels ;-) We did have problems 3 years ago as we kept getting loads of stuff coming up on the room bill when I was taking things in and out but this was cancelled at reception with no problem.

Mini bars are locked. They'll ask if you want it unlocked and take your card details. We had it unlocked once as we wanted to use the fridge for my daughters medicine, but even moving a single item will generate a charge.

- Is there any particular room / area of the hotel I should try and request or are they all generally quite similar? Apart from the above the main thing would be if there was a slightly bigger room with space for the kids to play (we got this through sheer luck in Newport Bay as we had a top one with a bay window), apart from that I guess close to the main doors would be better and as far as views go my preference would be seeing the park - no matter how far away! I guess I should add that my partner would always go for a room with a better tv.

The rooms are same size in my experience. We like Midtown which is the central area of the hotel, either overlooking the lake or car park. Car parks not all bad though, if you're lucky and up high enough you might see the castle! If you plan to use the pool often you could request a room at the Gramercy Park end which is handy for the lifts.

Sorry, I'm sure I should be able to find this info somewhere, but honestly I have looked and can't find anything recent, although as HNY is due a refurb after we leave, probably the old information is as good as an

I've put reports on my sig and also on the hotel sticky thread.

Hi, I've answered above, under your questions. Hope this helps

Just to add to the excellent information above, as the weather can be lovely in September you might like to consider a terrace room in Gramercy Park. These are ground floor rooms obviously, with individual terrace areas given some privacy with plants and bushes. They are equipped with a pair of outdoor chairs and a stool/small table. The terraces are fairly private and offer extra outdoor space for sitting out or playing in - try and choose a south facing one. :goodvibes

Thanks so much for the help. I don't know what a sig is but will see if I can find out! Gramercy park sounds lovely but very much like home as we live in the south of Spain, and expect Paris in September will seem freezing in comparison! I think we may follow your example and go for high-rise Midtown city living. And looks like we may have to take our coolbag, but not a kettle at least. Every memory of Disneyland last time around is fond, but I do feel very clever for thinking of taking pot noodles which we enjoyed in the room at siesta time one day while gearing ourselves up for dinner then a long wait for dreams later on.

Thanks so much for the help. I don't know what a sig is but will see if I can find out! Gramercy park sounds lovely but very much like home as we live in the south of Spain, and expect Paris in September will seem freezing in comparison! I think we may follow your example and go for high-rise Midtown city living. And looks like we may have to take our coolbag, but not a kettle at least. Every memory of Disneyland last time around is fond, but I do feel very clever for thinking of taking pot noodles which we enjoyed in the room at siesta time one day while gearing ourselves up for dinner then a long wait for dreams later on.

A sig (signature) is the bit that people put at the bottom of their posts and shows up on every post. Ms Poppins has links to her trip reports which are almost all (if not all ) at Hotel New York so if you go back to her post and click on one you can read her report which has lots of photos in of the hotel.

Also look at the hotel sticky at the top of the page and you will find more photos and reviews of the hotel

Thanks, the best I'd managed so far was special interest group, but yes signature makes a lot of sense now! I have looked at the hotel sticky, but a lot of it seems so old, I guess probably not much has changed though, and I'm such a worrier I'd just like to know exactly what we're getting so I can plan!

Sorry, yes, signature!

Hotel thread should have ours from last October, but you'll notice that nothing much has changed over the years which is probably why a refurb is planned. It's just your pot luck if your room has the larger safe, but you could email approx 1 week before your visit to request preferred area and safe, you might get lucky :goodvibes

We were in two rooms in midtown 3225 & 3227 overlooking car park but really central to everything, a few rooms down from lifts by the restaurants/gift shop and could just see the castle for dreams.

i cant see the replys? we staying at Hotel New York, completely new for me coz always had Santa Fe ha. Do they do character meet n greets in the hotel? i heard they had been cancelled xx

Wow, it would be amazing to be able to see the castle, might have to make a note of those room numbers, thanks!

Wow, it would be amazing to be able to see the castle, might have to make a note of those room numbers, thanks!

This was the view, would have been better on a higher floor but we were pretty pleased and my daughter sat and watched dreams fireworks on the nights we went back early.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 13

Sorry, I'm sure I should be able to find this info somewhere, but honestly I have looked and can't find anything recent, although as HNY is due a refurb after we leave, probably the old information is as good as any.

ok.........long time lurker ---- gotta ask.....what is a "kettle?":confused3

reason why I ask is a am putting together a trip to France in June '17.:woohoo:

Thanks!!

TTFN
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:wave2:

It's like a jug that you plug in and it boils water ... does that make sense?

Yes -:yay:
(thank you) -
I can see me flipping every other night between Hot cocoa some sort of a DISney munchie and then Tea and dont know yet........
Got time to figure this out -:goodvibes

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter