Hotel in Jacksonville?

lorilori

DIS Veteran
Hi all. We're supposed to leave tomorrow to drive to Disney which is normally a 10 hour trip. HOWEVER, half the household (myself included) are just getting over 3 days of a horrible, horrible flu so we are considering driving 3/4 of the way and stopping in Jacksonville. My question: has anyone ever stopped over in Jacksonville and can recommend where (or where not) to stay? Thank you!!

Jacksonville, is really only two and a half hours away. (well the way we drive!)

It well, looks like a smallish city!

When we drive through the night, its usually 6 am ish in Jacksonville so traffic is light.

You know, I just found my map and realized Jacksonville is closer than I thought...any thoughts on somewhere maybe an hour or so ABOVE Jacksonville to stop over? Thanks!

I don't know specific hotels to tell you - but there are plenty around Brunswick - it's kind of a touristy "gateway" to Jekyll Island and St. Simons.

And Jax is NOT a "smallish" city! It's no NYC - but there will definitely be plenty of places to stay there. I'd go look on-line for Marriott Courtyards - they're always safe and not too expensive.

There are plenty of places in Savannah and Richmond Hill, which are just after you get into GA. It takes us about 4.5 hours to get to WDW. I'm not as familar with Brunswick. You might also look at Darien - there is an outlet mall there and I think a few hotels. That's before Brunswick.

We used to live in Jax and it's got a population of over 1 million people, so yes, there are hotels. The best areas to stay are J. Turner Butler Blvd. which has every chain, plus a Dave and Busters, or Baymeadows at the Embassy Suites, not cheap but has an indoor pool if the kids need to burn some energy, plus that nice breakfast buffet.

Thank you so much for the replies. We're still home so I'm still researching ideas. If we could just get there and dry out in the sun, I'm sure we'd all be fine - LOL!

We live in NC also. When we drove down last year we stopped in Jacksonville, just north of Jax at the Jax airport exit. We stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott. It seems new, very clean, I believe it was around $70. We left Winston-Salem at 4 pm and checked into this Courtyard at 11:00 pm. We would stay there again.

(posted before seeing the original message date, info still might help someone else out)

we are staying in Jacksonville Friday night, doing the same thing as you. We are staying at the Homestead Village Jacksonville/Southside for 24.00 per night from priceline.
here is the site to get good info on how the bidding is going for this area
http://pub109.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddingfrm133

The following is a pretty good list of the hotels that can come up while bidding for this area:

JACKSONVILLE AREA

Jacksonville

3 Star
Omni Jacksonville
Hilton Riverfront

Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra Beach

3 Star
Marriott Sawgrass Ponte Vedra Beach

2 Star
Hampton Inn

Jacksonville Airport (JAX) North

2 Star
La Quinta Jacksonville Airport North

Jacksonville South

3 Star
Holiday Inn Jacksonville Baymeadows Road

2.5 Star
Amerisuites Jacksonville Baymeadows

2 Star
Candlewood Suites Jacksonville
Homestead Village Jacksonville/South Side
La Quinta Jacksonville Baymeadows

1 Star
Baymont Inn

Hi & thanks to you fellow NC'ers for the info. I'm up here in Mooresville, race week last week, had to get out of town! I've saved your info for our next trip. We drove straight through this time and I think next time I'd rather not. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter