Hotel breakfast changes

Ms Poppins

I'm sure I'm very affected by all this Disney talk
Just found information on FB forum that there will be changes next year meaning that breakfast is no longer free/included in package.

Info comes from Magic Breaks - strangely I can read the info on their mobile site but not the full site. Another forum member has confirmed they were also told about the changes by Thomas Cook.

From what I can gather, all bookings made after 13 October 2016 for arrivals after 27 March 2017 will not include breakfast. There will be an option to add breakfast on what they call a 'breakfast menu plan'.

Includes all on-site and Disney associated hotels, ie Kyriad etc.

Suites and Club level options still get breakfast ie: Golden Forest, Compass Club and Castle Club. I notice that Empire State Club is not mentioned.

If you have already booked for a stay after 27 March 2017 there is no change and breakfast is still included.

:(:sad1::sad:

Last edited:
Wow! Is this the end to the mass sandwich making extravaganza at breakfast?
Breakfast at DLP has always been a real perk to staying onsite, we've missed it when staying at DCR. Those prices are quite expensive - maybe it will be Salon Mickey breakfast from now on!

I haven't seen people make up lunches at breakfast but I've read lots of comments from others that have. Maybe it's more noticeable at the continental breakfasts only?

I'll miss the breakfast as we normally have it later so we can eat later at night, but I think we'll be hitting Salon Mickey instead too :goodvibes

if true then those prices are on the tad expensive side dont you think!?! £46 for a family of 4 for breakfast! wow!

I guess the Village eateries are going to start making good money. There's no way I'm paying those prices for breakfast.

I wouldn't pay those prices for breakfast - in the DLH it would cost us 4, £88! That is just ridiculous.

I am a SH too but you know, I really think it won't be long before we see an end to that perk at SM....

This also makes me believe that those 'rumoured' AP hikes (some were ridiculous), may actually not be such a rumour.

They are clearly in financial straits (visitor numbers are down due to many reasons not least the volatility of the area). They are going to wring out every last euro they can. I am not sure this is the way to do it though. It will alienate people, as as pps have said, they'll simply take their business elsewhere i.e. EoS, McDs etc.

Julie - I can't see it on their main site either - makes me think someone has dropped a clanger and published before it should have been seen?!

Im kinda not surprised, having stayed at Santa Fe and Sequoia and saw how much food people were taking. They must have been loosing so much money.

I agree that the prices are expensive, the only one which is ok to me is Disneyland Hotel, all the others no way will I spend that on breakfast. And yes The Village, especially McDonalds will be manic busy for breakfast now.

Also €11 for Hotel l'Elysee in Val de Europe??/ Having stayed there in February, their breakfast in no where near the standard of Disney so thats just a no go for me too.

Considering hotels in UK and Ireland all include breakfast in the prices, I can defiantly see a drop in numbers from first or second time Irish and UK families

I can't see anything on the main site either - but if you search 'breakfast menu' a link does come up, but you can't see anything when you click. This is probably the travel agent trying to get ahead of the game and informing their customers, which gives people a chance to book now and still have breakfast included.

I think in true Disney style, it probably won't be confirmed until 13 October when you actually try to book for dates after 27 March 2017.

I never pay for breakfast at any hotel - if I don't get a good b&b rate then I never pay extra for breakfast. I'm pretty sure that if you book half board then breakfast would still be included, that will by their way of making half board more expensive no doubt.

It will be breakfast bars or Salon Mickey for us in future - if we get really hungry then McD's will do :)

Considering hotels in UK and Ireland all include breakfast in the prices, I can defiantly see a drop in numbers from first or second time Irish and UK families

Not all hotels include breakfast these days in the UK. More and more now do a room only rate or a b&b rate, even some of the top end hotels I've been to.

As much as I like the breakfast it wouldn't put me off going back again in the future, will take more than that to keep me away :laughing:

I wouldn't pay over £200 per night (and actually our May trip is currently showing at £400+ per night) for the DLH not to have breakfast included and I don't think for those prices, you'd find many other hotels not including it either. I can't believe they can include it in Club rooms in SQL/NPB but not in standard rooms at DLH which are actually more expensive!! It just doesn't make sense. Your most expensive rooms (bar Castle Club) onsite don't get breakfast but your cheaper 'Club' rooms in other hotels do?

I never saw anyone taking food at DLH at breakfast time. I didn't see it at SQL either, but I was staying GF. We used and loved breakfast at DLH - we often used to go back at 10 am after EMH and have it then. Missed out the need for lunch many a time.

I agree that many hotels in Europe include breakfast.

Let's hope the prices are going to reduce to reflect it eh? Next it'll be no park tickets included - watch this space. They are saying they want to bring it in line with other resorts after all....

I also have a horrible feeling about Salon Mickey. I think it will go eventually.

Magic Breaks also mention that Character Breakfasts are to be relocated from Café Mickey in the Disney Village to Plaza Gardens in the Disneyland Park from 29 March 2017.

img_0991.jpg

Is DLP the only Disney resort that offers park tickets and breakfast in their package?

such a shame if it goes the way of not including park tickets in your booking, unless they drop the hotel room rates obviously, maybe then it will balance itself out a bit??

im not liking the breakfast plans if they are true. disney is barely affordable for me as it is.

Is DLP the only Disney resort that offers park tickets and breakfast in their package?
Yes it is. You have to add tickets in order to qualify for free dining in WDW.
I never saw anyone taking food at DLH at breakfast time. I didn't see it at SQL either, but I was staying GF.
I think it's worse the further down market you go. I've seen people filling bags at the Santa Fe. Last time they served nicer ham, but had a waitress to serve it so it was limited, otherwise people would take a lot. I didn't notice anyone taking breakfast items at HNY!

Magic Breaks also mention that Character Breakfasts are to be relocated from Café Mickey in the Disney Village to Plaza Gardens in the Disneyland Park from 29 March 2017.

I quite like the sound of this, I've always enjoyed breakfast in there when it's been offered. I wouldn't mind paying so much for this, but it will be busy. I think they will have to open more places for breakfast. I would rather pay to eat in the parks after EMH's than pay for an early breakfast in the hotels.

The thing that confuses me about all this is - I'm assuming the £13 for character breakfast is an upcharge to regular breakfast as it is currently, otherwise it's cheaper to do a character breakfast in the park than have a regular breakfast at the SL/NPB/HNY/DLH which makes no sense. If to do the character breakfast you have to pay for hotel breakfast + the upcharge the figures above suggest a guest at the DLH has to pay £36 (£23 + £13) whereas someone at the Cheyenne pays £25 (£12 + £13). All seems a bit strange.

I saw this on FB today as well, really disappointing... we are planing to go in May but dont think hubby will get his AL approved for next year before 13th Oct plus I was planing on adding myself to the booking as have AP so would end up with no breakfast and they do?

Thank you for posting this.

My first reaction is that it will make the "paying for one person, adding others on at check in" route more expensive when breakfast is factored in. So are the hotel prices going down by this amount per night per person? I very much doubt it... Perhaps we have been spoilt up to now, I didn't realise we were the only park with packages.

I'm not sure that it would stop people wasting/taking food from breakfast either if that is what is happening as those that do might feel even more entitled if they have paid separately.

On the other hand character breakfasts at PG sounds a good idea and should prove popular.

I was hoping for that change for quite some time actually, in the hope that a paying breakfast will improve quality. Let's face it, I wouldn't enjoy a breakfast at most DLP properties unless they actually *paid* me for the effort.

I was hoping for that change for quite some time actually, in the hope that a paying breakfast will improve quality. Let's face it, I wouldn't enjoy a breakfast at most DLP properties unless they actually *paid* me for the effort.
]

I think the breakfast at DLH is lovely. We've stayed a good few times and always enjoyed it. But we've often done it at the end of EMH rather than early morning, I think that way it is great value and works well with the day. I would not, however, pay £23 pp for it. Perhaps if they added characters - but it certainly wouldn't be an every day occurrence!

I like the idea of Plaza Gardens too and was positive when it was first rumoured this would happen. They've wanted to move away from the Village for a while so that you need park entry to enjoy the priviledges. We've vetoed Cafe Mickey for a few years now - it's just awful!

I was talking earlier about our May trip - my initial gut feeling was to book now for the breakfast (we are still looking at the DLH). However, now I've had time to reflect I'm thinking differently. We have 4 mornings. We may pay for breakfast at DLH one morning (we'll see what reports say), we will probably do a Plaza Gardens breakfast too. I am a shareholder so can use Salon Mickey the other two mornings - so that's us done then! I'd be looking to do the DLH and PG breakfasts as late as possible though in order to treat them as more of a brunch! I need good value at those prices!

I think the thing that annoys me about it the most is the fact they are removing a major perk of the holiday, without removing any part of the associated cost!

Still think I'll hang on for a French/German etc offer before booking after all.... rather than booking on the current UK/Ireland booking.

PS - Dav I think you are spot on about the pricing. That is exactly how it will be - those staying at the higher category hotels pay more. Is it fair? Nope, just because someone saves to stay in the DLH/HNY does that mean they should pay more for the same thing - I think not! You could argue the bar drinks are like that already, more expensive in higher end hotels - however, you could also argue that's not 100% correct as when you buy a drink in Cafe Fantasia, you are paying more for the experience of being in there too. It's a bit different with the breakfast as everyone will be together, in the same place. Unless they are going to cordon off areas for different hotels lol!! That would be fun!

is it fair? Nope, just because someone saves to stay in the DLH/HNY does that mean they should pay more for the same thing - I think not! You could argue the bar drinks are like that already, more expensive in higher end hotels - however, you could also argue that's not 100% correct as when you buy a drink in Cafe Fantasia, you are paying more for the experience of being in there too.
I see what you mean, however the breakfast at Santa Fe for example is by far a lower quality than HNY and I assume DLH. You couldn't possibly pay the same price otherwise everyone would go to DLH. Also with drinks you always get nice nibbles etc with drinks at DLH and they are waitress served, whereas it's service at the bar and no nibbles at the values. I suppose you get what you pay for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!