Hotel and Length of Stay??

cookie334

DIS Veteran
Hi all

I've not been on here for a good few years, but we're planning a trip in December and looking for some thoughts on which hotel and how long to stay.

We're going early December but can't decide between New York for 4 nights and 5 days or Cheyenne for 6 nights and 7 days. Both are coming up about the same price.

I've never been as long as 6 nights before, but we are taking 3 kids and a baby and it'll be cold in December so was thinking it might be nice to have a bit longer and have a more relaxed approach to it. But at the same time was thinking if we stayed at the New York it's a bit closer and 5 days is still quite a bit so we could pop back to the hotel once or twice a day with the baby?

We're taking the half board option so tempted by the New York as it'll be a better meal plan but have never stayed there and do love the Cheyenne and have always thought of the hotel as just a place to sleep so it's always filled the purpose when we've gone before.

Sorry, quite a long post, but what are your thoughts? Especially if you've gone with a baby before? (She'll be 10 months in December.

Thanks
Viv xxx

in winter with a baby and young children, when you know you are likely to be popping back to the hotel during the day, i'd go for the New York hotel. 5 days is still loads of time in early December, midweek.

i was in a very similar position as you cookie. my children are 5 and 9 and we were looking to book for christmas. We have only ever stayed in Santa Fe and the Cheyenne before, and have always gone when the weather was warmer. We enjoyed the walk to and from the parks.

My wife was made redundant just before Christmas and she has had a very good redundancy package so she has decided to spoil us with another disney trip, and she has always fancied going for the Christmas celebrations.
so we are spoiling ourselves by booking the New York for 5 days December 5-9th. We have been a "little" bit sensible though, as we couldnt justify the extra for the DLH which is a shame as the location would be perfect for the cold weather. so we have booked the next best location we think. short walk to the park and the village, and if the weather really is bad, then we could always use the indoor pool possibly. And a less frantic breakfast time would be nice as we all know the breakfast scrums in the Santa Fe and the Cheyenne! :-)

Thank you both for your reply. You're both thinking the same way I am. The kids keep saying stay longer and stay in Cheyenne as they loved it there, but I think given the time of year and the age of the wee one, the New York is defo the best bet. We also considered DLH adr2.8i I would absolutely LOVE to stay there especially at Christmas time. We've got a specific budget so it was a case of seeing what was available for the amount we want to spend so I did look at DLH and we could've done it without the half board for a similar price, but kids weren't keen and OH thinks it's a bit of a waste... I'll just have to go on my own for that one haha.

I hadn't even thought about the scrum for breakfast :tongue: that's a very good point!! Our dates are almost the same, depending if they're still available when it comes time to book, we're looking at 9th-13th. My other kids are older 9, 13 and almost 15 at the time we go, so like you say at least at the New York there are other things to do, such as the pool. If I remember rightly, most of the activities at Cheyenne are seasonal and weather dependent.

Bear in mind that the Cheyenne is currently undergoing some renovation work, and I doubt it'll be completed by December, so there's no guarantee whether you'll get an old style room or new style room. I don't think the work is causing too much disruption, but still.

We went in March to HNY with a 7 month old. It was bliss having a more calm breakfast and even something as simple as your luggage being taken up to your room! 3 kids and a baby I'm sure will result in a lot of luggage!! lol It's also very easy for one of you (or the eldest child?) if, for example, you're back at the hotel early one evening because of the baby, to pop back out to Earl of Sandwich or McDonalds to grab food for you all. The Village being that close is great.

C x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter