Hostess is Toast

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by tvguy, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Gumbo4x4

Gumbo4x4 Note to the ladies who forgot to

Certainly someone (or a combination of someones) will have to fill that void. Some Hostess products will resurface, some won't. Some all-new products will surface, some existing products will see an increase in sales. And someone will have to produce these goods. Like the PP who said her husband is on OT now as he works for a competitor. It's the nature of the World. Someone's heartbreak will be to someone else's benefit.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Princess Dolly

Princess Dolly <font color=green>Unfortunately it encroached the

Yes it's sad that the rank and file workers bear all of the burden while the executives live high off the hog. Sad that corporations are so greedy and uncaring.

4. castleview

castleview <font color=blue>I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown

Let's see: Management givens themselves hefty salaries while asking lowest paid employees to take an 8% cut (their third cut, btw) and no work is being done in the R&D department even though we live in a far more health conscience society, two bankruptcy filings over the last decade…and it's the union's fault? Now the hedge fund owners will liquidate the assets and sell the brands to companies who hire 15 year temp workers. I love this country.

5. donaldlovesdaisy

donaldlovesdaisy DIS Veteran

This is America we all have the opportunity to be those greedy cooperate executives ! I sometimes wonder if all this hate and rage people have for the wealthy is no more than just plain old jealousy.

6. furb & dez

furb & dez City Bear Jamboreers

Twinkies changed at some point in the late 80's/early 90's and I lost interest. Then they changed again and just became absolutely foul.

Because that's worked so well for Pilots and Stewardessess in our crumbling air travel industry? ;) (re-regulate the air travel industry!!)

It's really very simple... it's in their contracts/agreements. If you draw up a contract that says "in year X, CEO receives a 300% increase" and attach no riders or stipulations, then guess what... in year X, the CEO will receive a 300% increase, regardless of how the company is performing financially. It's not rocket science.

If it's in the contract it happens. If it didn't, they'd be in a lot more trouble for breaking the contract, and then they would get sued on top of still owing the money.

7. castleview

Here's my rules…and I had this conversation once with a small publishing house owner who defended hiring unpaid interns because she couldn't afford an employee. If you can't afford it, you can't have it.

8. castleview

No, that's not the case. There are plenty of business owners who realize they have to treat their employees well in order to sleep at night and run a successful business. I worked for a man who dipped into his own personal savings account to cover salaries when times were hard (and the company did come through).

If you honestly think it's okay for someone to pull in millions as a CEO while the lowest paid employee is paid minimum wage, has temporary or "independent contractor" status, doesn't get any benefits or rights as a worker, then you need to grow a conscience. That IS greed.

9. pumpkinmomma

pumpkinmomma DIS Veteran

This. This is the 2nd trip for Hostess into bankruptcy in 10 years. This has been coming for a while and I think the strike was just an excuse. They were a failing business and have been for quite a while.

10. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

I think this is it.

11. Gumbo4x4

It's not the union's fault the company was in trouble. It's the union's fault the doors are shut today. Certainly, there were lots of problems with Hostess that may never have been solved. And what happened today may just be the inevitable. But, plain & simple, now was not the right time for a strike. The Teamsters recognized that, but the bakers did not.

12. donaldlovesdaisy

If the lowest paid employee had very little skill or education then why should he be paid more than what they are worth? Oh and your genius remark is rude and condescending and really does not help your argument. Do you always insult people who don't agree with you?

13. luvmy3

luvmy3 <font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t

That is life in the corporate world, we aren't all equal.

14. ilovemk76

ilovemk76 DIS Veteran

How is that new reality going to work better?:confused3

We have survived two simultaneous layoff, could happen again in the future, paycuts, jobs with not benefits and what is this pension you talk of.

15. Thundergod

Thundergod Mouseketeer

God Bless our unions.

They can brag about how they brought hostess to it's knees while they stand in the unemployment line.

16. donaldlovesdaisy

:rotfl2::thumbsup2

17. JennaDeeDooDah

JennaDeeDooDah My oh my what a wonderful day!

Let's be fair. Everyone is "greedy" because everyone wants to make money. Now, in this specific situation, Hostess told the Union workers that they (Hostess) could no longer contribute 2% towards their (the union) retirement and that the union would need to pick up that tab. They told the union that if they (Hostess) continued to contribute that amount, it would put them out of business. The union refused to budge and now EVERYONE is out of a job. In this specific situation, it sounds like the union was greedy and uncaring.

18. FireDancer

FireDancer DIS Veteran

But the CEO isn't the business owner, they are just employees like everyone else. The stock holders are the business owners. If someone is to be blamed for the pay structure of the executives blame them and the board that is supposed to be representing their best interests but often doesn't.

I always hear about CEOs giving themselves raises but I have never worked for a company in which management was able to determine their own raise or pay structure. It is always a negotiation between the board and the executive. That would be congress.

And thank God! Employment, like everything, comes down to supply and demand. If you can supply needed skills better than most other people you can demand a higher price for them. If you can only supply a skill that is essentially a commodity you can not demand as high of a price for them. That isn't a problem, it is how it should work. Luckily we can all learn new skills to change what we can both supply and demand. That is what I love about the free market even though it doesn't always work perfectly. Then again nothing works perfectly 100% of the time.

19. Gumbo4x4

I do believe there is something to this as well. Fact is, some jobs are just plain easy. One issue I have with unions is that the easiest jobs go to the most experienced workers. The idea of staying in a BIG company for a LONG time is that you should start out at a low-pay, low-skill job. Over time, as your skill increases, you move into a more difficult job with higher pay. And as more time passes, hopefully you repeat this process. But, because union wages often pay the same across the board, it works in the opposite direction. New hires are given the most difficult tasks, while seasoned veterans use their seniority to work their way DOWN the corporate ladder. That system benefits nobody. The company loses because they don't have the benefit of their best people doing the toughest jobs, and the workers lose because you don't have the opportunity to really work your way UP. Obviously, this is speaking in general terms & it doesn't work that way EVERYWHERE the unions exist. But, it does happen.

20. ilovemk76

ilovemk76 DIS Veteran

I am so glad that you helped me see the light!!!!!

I use my brain to decide what will be best in the short run and the long run. I would have made a short term concession with the company and then decided it this was a company that was viable in the long run, if I it was a company I could work for in the long run and then look for another job, if that is best.

It is better to find another job when you have a job then when you are unemployed. The longer the unemployment the less employable you become.

21. luvmy3

luvmy3 <font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t

That isn't what you said though, this is what you said
    If the problem is they are making minimum wage, and they can't live on it, take it up with the legislators. If a person agrees to take a job as a temp, or work as an IC then blame them not the company. They are the ones agreeing to those conditions.
    Yes I think its okay for a CEO to pull in millions while some workers in that same company make minimum wage, or while some are just temps or ICs. Its not greed, it is life in the corporate world.