Hostess gift - What do you bring when you don't know them well?

I like the ideas of a candle, potted plant, or wind chimes. We had a housewarming party and received several gift cards to places like Target, Home Depot, etc for house stuff.

A fresh Christmas wreath with door hanger would be nice.

If you are going for a meal, I would bring a dessert too. (since you don't want to bring wine)

We usually bring wine or a Yankee candle. Really, isn't it the thought that counts?! If I invited someone to my house and they bought me a gift, I wouldn't whine about what the gift was, I would think it was a nice gesture.

I always go with something consumable because frankly most people don't want more "stuff". High end chocolate, macaroons, or coffee samplers are nice since they are a special treat and can be regifted if they aren't someone's cup of tea.

A scented candle would be the last thing I'd want somebody to bring me, followed closely by brownies as the second last. If you really don't know these people very well just go with something ubiquitous like flowers.

Glad to know, next time I'll bring my usual gift of rocks and lima beans. Didn't know candles and brownies were so offensive.

Glad to know, next time I'll bring my usual gift of rocks and lima beans. Didn't know candles and brownies were so offensive.

I think candles can be a bad choice just because of the scent factor. Some people are very particular about that.

A friend just had a huge housewarming. Everybody brought gifts because that is what is expected around here for a housewarming party. It is viewed as a type of shower, just a house shower. There was mostly wine, then some personal gifts like sports team memorabilia for their favorite sports team, lots of kitchen stuff, quite a few pretty frames, one live plant but not a candle or a plate of cookies/brownies to be seen.

I have to admit that with any kind of candle in a jar, while the thought would be most appreciated, it would be put aside for regifting (actually donation pile because I would never give a candle unless I knew somebody was really, really into them.) Same with homemade brownies or cookies, the thought would be much appreciated but they would just be thrown away as I do not eat a whole lot of sugar for medical reasons.

I would also never bring a plate of homemade goods to a party of somebody I didn't know very well. The hosts may have a menu planned which my food may not fit in well with but they may feel obliged to put the dessert out with their menu anyway. Seems a bit rude to me.

Last edited:
Wind chimes or a set of Nicer Coasters

I can see that food may not be appreciated-with all the specific diets and allergies nowadays ;)

I think candles can be a bad choice just because of the scent factor. Some people are very particular about that.
"Offensive" is a bit dramatic, but it's definitely something I don't use and wouldn't want. Food, especially homemade, is also something I really don't think should be brought to a party except by prior arrangement with the host/ess. (I've taken plenty of heat for this opinion on other threads - I realize not everybody thinks this way.)

All that said though, if anybody brings me a gift I'd really appreciate the gesture and thank them very graciously. If ever I'm in a situation where gifts are appropriate and I don't know the recipient very well I just feel it's better to go with something super-innocuous.

YC Mistletoe candle. If hey don't like it they can regift.

I like to give a few foaming hand soaps from Bath and Body Works. I put two or three in a gift bag. They have so many different kind. I get in a bunch for the holiday and this is my go to gift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter