Horseback Riding

DentalDana2

Mouseketeer
ODS(7) seems to be in a bit of a pickle for horseback riding at FW. He is young enough, but too tall (and too grown up in his opinion) to do the pony ride. He is tall enough, but too young for the trail ride! He is tall, but not insanely so for his age (80th percentile). I'm really surprised that Disney wouldn't have a category to accommodate this in between group, I'm sure DS isn't the only kid that has run into this problem!

Sounds like a problem only time can solve. Or a fake ID. :rolleyes2

We just returned from WDW on Monday and we ran into this same problem. We made a special trip over to Fort Wilderness just to do the pony ride and my daughter was too tall. It was the one thing she couldn't wait to do and she was super upset. I'm planning to send an email letting them know how they're missing the mark on this! :confused3

Yes same thing here- my 2 youngest were 6 last year when we went, and really not that big either. But nope- they were a hair too tall. And of course way too young for the trail ride. My little girl especially was so sad- she is a true horse lover. Thankfully we have a horse farm at home, so that did make it easier to get her past her disappointment, but I imagine there's a lot of heartbroken kids down there that don't have a horse at home to fall back on. I wish they had some bigger ponies- that would solve the problem so simply....Maybe someday when my dream of working at the Disney barns comes true :wizard: I can make that suggestion!

Does anyone know the height limit for the pony rides? My 6 year old is REALLY looking forward to that.

ssg012 said:
Does anyone know the height limit for the pony rides? My 6 year old is REALLY looking forward to that.

48" is the upper limit for pony rides, it's also the lower limit for horse trail riding but you need to be 9.

the issue with getting a larger pony is that the parent has to lead the ponies them around the path. the CM working there cannot do it. I was there last year and there was a kid who really wanted to ride but the parent was petrified of the tiny pony. The parent begged the CM to lead them and was told that legally they were not allowed to. Since I own horses I volunteered to lead her dd around. If they went with larger ponies, they would have to pay someone to lead the pony around and supply helmets ( which I do not think they do)

Could someone offer information on the horseback riding. One of our children is 10 but has never gone horseback riding before. She is apprehensive about it. My son really wants to do it. How large is the group? How many guides?

she will be on her own horse but the ride is at a slow walk. boring for the one who rides at home. just right for the beginner. the other difference is it on a trail not around a ring. remember closed toe shoes, no sandles or open shoes.

I don't see how this is any worse than having a short child (17th percentile) who is too short to ride many rides that she is "old" enough for.

As a previous poster said, in time all will work out.

suemom2kay said:
I don't see how this is any worse than having a short child (17th percentile) who is too short to ride many rides that she is "old" enough for.

As a previous poster said, in time all will work out.

Height has a lot more to do with safety than being 18mo too young for horseback riding when you are 3" over the required height. Just MO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter