Horseback riding question..

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by king kamehameha, Oct 3, 2012.

1. king kamehameha

king kamehameha Poly Beach Comber

Does anyone know if everyone needs to where a helmet regardless of age, and can you take a camera along for the ride? pirate:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. KIRSTIN'S MOMMY

KIRSTIN'S MOMMY <font color=0099FF>Creates edible masterpieces<br>

I've done the trail ride at Ft. Wilderness a few times and never had to wear a helmet, but the kids did.

4. ppony

ppony Artist in residence DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I'm shocked any place would allow anyone to go w/o a helmet. Especially Disney! I always used to wear one. Didn't matter my age. Even riding my own horse. Horses, are animals and as such accidents can happen. Even at Disney. I've never ride w/o one. Period.

5. Mickeyrella

Mickeyrella Mouseketeer

The ride is pretty boring especially if you ride horses. I only say this because I do showjumping and equitation with my horse and I was pretty excited of doing this... But it was actually pretty boring and extremely s....loooooooo.....w. When I went guests under the age of 16 had to wear a helmet, older than 16 optional. I don't remember but I think you had to sign a waiver saying you understand what horseback riding implies and that accidents could happen. I might be wrong about the age since this was a few years ago.

6. ppony

All riding places make you sign the waiver. I'm still just shocked, no matter how well trained and now laid back a horse is, falling off of one (as I'm sure you've done too) can hurt, a LOT. Though I'll grant you, a lot more at speed. Ouch, bad memories. My horse was 16.2 hands too, it was a l-o-n-g way down. I've been grateful to have my helmet on, even in an arena, let alone out where there are rocks and hard things to fall on. :upsidedow If they say it's optional, I hope people do wear it. Bicyclists do w/o batting an eye. You won't look "stupid".

7. cgattis

cgattis DIS Veteran

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but a helmet won't keep you from breaking your neck. Do I make my kids wear one--yes. And while skiing too. Do I? Nope. Should I? Probably. Also a note--on any of the Disney watercraft, only the kids are required to wear a lifejacket. No matter how well you swim, I'd you get knocked out in the water, you sink. Hypocritical? I guess. But I promise I always wear my seatbelt :)

8. Dorisk3

Dorisk3 DIS Veteran

My kids just did this and loved it. Neither had ever really rode a horse before, so it was an adventure to them. Everyone had helmets on, I'm not sure if adults are required to wear them or optional. They said no cameras. I wasn't on the ride so I don't know if people took pictures on the trail, but you are not supposed to.

9. ppony

Um, it's not meant to protect your neck. Just like bicycle and motorcycle helmets aren't protecting your neck either.