Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue or Mickey's Backyard BBQ

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by SumWhrOvrThRanBo, Jan 21, 2013.

1. SumWhrOvrThRanBo

SumWhrOvrThRanBo Mouseketeer

Which do you reccomend? It will be our first time to Disney (2 adults & 5 kids aged 16yrs-16mos). I've read more about HDDR on the board- is the backyard BBQ new? I like that there is a larger selection at the backyard BBQ- we don't drink alcohol but are not opposed to others having a great time so the budlight & sangria are not a major deciding factor for us.
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. stargazertechie

stargazertechie Toy Story Midway Maniac

I haven't done the backyard BBQ, but HDDR is one of my family's favorite memories.

4. Masonmj84

Masonmj84 DIS Veteran

I've done neither but the general consensus is that HDDR is the better experience.

Here's what I've gathered from the reviews:

1. HDDR has better overall food.
    2. The food at HDDR is brought to your table whereas the BBQ is a buffet (in that regard, I've read that the buffet can sometimes get a bit chaotic).
    3. The seating is more comfortable at HDDR (BBQ is on benches).
    4. HDDR is in a climate-controlled indoor enviornment whereas the BBQ is in an outdoor covered pavillion that's more exposed to the elements.
    5. Entertainment, while a bit hokey at both, is more polished and professional at HDDR (HDDR is a choreographed show whereas BBQ is more random singing/dancing).
    6. More likely to have negative encounters with rude/agressive guests at backyard BBQ.

In that regard, I'd like to try the HDDR. I don't have much interest in the BBQ.

5. quandrea

quandrea DIS Veteran

We've done the BBQ three time and just did the HDDR in October and have another ressie booked for next week. Love both, but I think the HDDR is more fun. The kids howled (as did I). The BBQ is a bit more chaotic, we like the food variety too. THe HDDR food was tasty. as well. If you can do only one go for the HDDR.

6. Paradise18

Paradise18 DIS Veteran

HDDR for sure. Family favourite for us.

7. Hopefully

Hopefully DIS Veteran

I have not done the BBQ, but I have done HDDR 4 times and I love it.
    I believe that the BBQ is geared mainly toward families with young children. I think your 16 yo, and any other older kids, would be bored and not enjoy it.
    I highly recommend the HDDR