• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Honey, We're going to Disney! - A November 2015 PTR/TR

LaBelleVie

Nose In A Book
Hi! This is my first trip report of any kind (but it's also just my second trip). Since I tend to be a chronic oversharer (and don't have a lot of time at the moment to get into everything), this will likely be done in installments. I'd love to hear feedback on our trip plans!

Pre-Trip Plans
1.) Who We Are
2.) How This Trip Came About

3.) When We're Going
4.) Where We're Staying
5.) Time to Eat!
6.) Day 1 - Arrival
7.) Day 2 - Magic Kingdom
8.) Day 3 - Epcot
9.) Day 4 - Hollywood Studios
10.) Day 5 - Disney Springs/Departure

How It All Went Down
1.) We're Here!
2.) Magic Kingdom

Last edited:
Who We Are

21obq1l.jpg

This is literally the only picture I have of the two of us at Disney (by one of the fountains in Morocco), because I spent all my time behind the lens.
Me: I'm Alex. I'm 27, and I teach preschool. My hobbies include genealogy, reading, baking, cross stitch, gaming, and bingewatching Netflix.

Tom: My husband, who is 28. He's the human resources coordinator at a small trucking company. He enjoys watching wrestling, playing pinball, and eating steak.

My Disney obsession started at a very young age. Back in 1996, my dad promised he would take us soon. He bought a guide book, and I read that book so many times that by the time I was 14, the spine had broken into three separate pieces (I have updated my guide book twice so far as an adult!). I always joked that I knew more about Disney than anyone else who had never been. We had wanted to go to Disney for our honeymoon in 2011, but due to financial reasons, we weren't able to take a honeymoon at all. We thought it would probably still be several years before we got to go on any vacation at all, let alone Disney, but when my beloved grandmother died a year ago, I decided life was too short to keep putting off things I wanted to do, and we went in May, as a kind of delayed honeymoon/4th anniversary/27th birthday trip (our anniversary is May 7, and my birthday is May 21; we were there in between).

Tom was never really into Disney (though he likes the Toy Story films), but he knew how much I had always wanted to go to Disney and wanted to make sure it happened at some point. I was really worried he wouldn't enjoy it as much as I hoped he would, but he absolutely fell in love with it and decided that we should come back every year.

Last edited:
How This Trip Came About
As previously mentioned, we planned on coming back again yearly. We figured we would have plenty of time to come near Christmas and see all the holiday decorations. I had always particularly wanted to see the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

When I heard this would be the last year for the Osborne lights, I was devastated. I figured I would never get to see them, because there was no way we would be able to make it this year.

But then, I was in a car accident.

The accident totally sucked, and it was a really emotional thing for me, but there ended up being a silver lining. My car was paid off and was in excellent condition, so I got a decent payment when it was totaled. I decided to hold back some of that money to go to Disney and just buy a car that wasn't quite as nice.

I knew my husband would be thrilled, but I wanted to surprise him. I thought about not saying anything at all, and just letting him know while we were on the plane to Orlando, but I couldn't keep it in that long (I always want to tell someone immediately when I have a surprise for them). He ended up guessing where we were going, and was glad that he knew ahead of time (he said if I would have waited until we were on the plane to tell him, he would have had a massive anxiety attack). The look on his face when I confirmed his guess was definitely still worth it :)

When We're Going
Originally, the plan was to come down, go to Hollywood Studios, and then go home. It would be time efficient and cost efficient. In, out, done.

But then I figured, why not make this an actual Christmas trip? I knew we wouldn't stay as long as we did on our first trip, but I figured we could still fit in the things we wanted to do.

Since I teach, my only options were taking time off work (the more undesirable choice when you have bills to pay), or go during school breaks. Our Christmas break goes from December 19-January 3, and I knew that no part of that sounded like a good idea. Those crowds during those weeks at Disney? No thank you. Not this year.

So then I considered Thanksgiving break. I'd still end up needing to take a couple of days off, but it would fit our schedules a little better in a way that wouldn't make it miserable to be in the parks. So even though it's still going to be busier than our May trip was, we decided going during Thanksgiving weekend was our best choice.

We will be leaving November 27 (Black Friday), and arriving back home December 1.

Where We're Staying

Deciding where to stay was a bit of a conundrum this time. We were originally thinking about a Value since we were trying to do this trip as cheaply as possible, and had narrowed it down to All-Star Movies or Pop Century. But then we got to thinking about how this is probably our last trip without kids (we are in the process of becoming foster parents and have a potential placement of two little boys that we are planning to adopt), so we figured it would be worth it to splurge on a Moderate (as much as I'd love a Deluxe -- I really want to stay at BoardWalk and Wilderness Lodge! -- our budget is just not ready for that yet.

But then the problem was deciding which Moderate to stay at.

On our first trip, we stayed at POFQ and absolutely adored the resort, and while I was tempted to book it again, we decided we wanted to try as many different resorts as possible. I am a little intimidated by what I've heard about the size of CBR, so we were pretty much down to POR or CSR. We ultimately decided to go with the more adult-oriented CSR. We've booked a Cabanas room, and we're really excited!

13z8niq.jpg

Time to Eat!

On our first trip, we pretty much only ate quick service meals in an effort to maximize our time and save some money (with the exception of Big River Grille & Brewing Works at BoardWalk). This trip, we have a little more time to play with since we know what we MUST do and what we can live without doing. We ultimately decided to get the dining plan; even though it may not necessarily save a ton of money in the long run, we decided the peace of mind was worth it. We can't wait to try out new restaurants this trip!

Our ADRs:

• 50's Prime Time Cafe (lunch) -- I've wanted to go ever since I read about it in the 1996 guide book I read to bits. The experience sounds like an absolute hoot. The menu isn't exactly my cup of tea (but it's definitely my husband's!), but I think it'll be a lot of fun!
  • Be Our Guest (lunch) -- We ate breakfast at BOG first thing on our first day in the parks on our May trip, and loved it. I was able to snag a random lunch reservation, so we decided to take it! We pre-ordered the other day; Tom is getting the carved turkey sandwich with pommes frites and the Mmster's cupcake, and I ordered the croque monsieur with green bean jardiniere and an eclair à l'orange.
  • Chefs de France (dinner) -- I love French food, and I've always wanted to eat here.
  • Coral Reef Restaurant (lunch) -- I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the food here, but we do a Full House podcast, and the restaurant was an important location in the episodes where the Tanners went to Disney World, so we're going for...journalistic purposes? Something like that. Plus, seafood.
  • Raglan Road (lunch) -- We're heading to Disney Springs on our departure day. I almost went for Fulton's, but ultimately decided on Raglan Road. I've heard a lot of good things about it, my picky eater husband approves of the menu, and I used to work at an Irish pub in college, so I just think it would be fun.
I was really hoping to get a Fantasmic dinner package, but I haven't had any luck getting one so far.

Day 1 - Arrival

We will be flying out of Indianapolis International via Southwest on Friday afternoon. We flew Southwest when we went in May, and we were pleased with the service for the price.

We won't get to Orlando International until around 7pm, after which will be taking advantage of Magical Express. We used ME last time, and loved it. It was like already getting a bit of the Disney experience as we entered Disney for the first time. On our last trip, our luggage tags did not arrive until after we were already in Orlando, so we just took our luggage with us on the coach. I think that's probably going to end up happening again, because we only have one more mail day between now and leaving (the mail will probably not arrive Friday until after we leave), and we still haven't received them.

We'll check in at Coronado Springs and probably just hang around the resort and have dinner at Pepper Market so we can prepare for a long day at MK!

Day 2 - Magic Kingdom

MK is our favorite park, and in a perfect world, we'd end our trip with it, but we're not doing MVMCP, and we still want to see MSEP (which we missed our first trip) and Wishes up close (last time, we watched from Poly); as such, doing MK first fit in the best with our plans.

We're planning on using this trip to ride some first trip favorites, as well as to try some rides we didn't get to ride on our first trip.

Tentatively, our attraction/entertainment list includes:

• Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (1st time, FP+)
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (favorite, FP+)
  • Carousel of Progress (favorite)
  • Celebrate the Magic (1st time)
  • Enchanted Tiki Room (1st time)
  • Hall of Presidents (favorite)
  • Haunted Mansion (favorite, FP+)
  • It's A Small World (favorite)
  • Jungle Cruise (favorite)
  • Liberty Square Riverboat (favorite, if there's time)
  • Main Street Electrical Parade (1st time, super excited!)
  • Mickey's PhilharMagic (favorite)
  • PeopleMover (favorite)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (favorite)
  • Wishes (as previously mentioned, we watched from the Poly on our non-park day, but we would like to see it up close!)
Things we haven't tried, but would like to if there's time and we feel up to it:
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • Dream Along With Mickey (we saw parts of it on our first trip and thought it was interesting)
  • Swiss Family Treehouse
  • Tom Sawyer Island
We're also planning on taking a little more time taking in our surroundings, enjoying the entertainers and looking for hidden Mickeys.

We're having lunch at Be Our Guest, and I plan on having dinner at Columbia Harbour House (I want a lobster roll!).

After the evening festivities, we're planning on catching the monorail to the Contemporary to see the Electrical Water Pageant, which is something I've wanted to see for a very long time.

Last edited:
Day 3 - Epcot

Sunday is our Epcot day. I'm really looking forward to trying some new restaurants and getting to explore the World Showcase a little more in-depth this time.

We plan on experiencing:

• The American Adventure (favorite, plus it's a good place to get off your feet in the middle of the day!)
  • Captain EO (we haven't seen it, so I figured we should since it's about to close)
  • Impressions de France (1st time)
  • Innoventions (1st time)
  • Mission: SPACE (favorite, FP+)
  • O Canada! (1st time)
  • Reflections of China (1st time)
  • Soarin (favorite, FP+)
  • Spaceship Earth (favorite, FP+)
I'm really looking forward to watching some of the entertainers in the World Showcase! Last time we saw Voices of Liberty (AMAZING), Sergio, and British Revolution, but I'm really hoping to see some more this time!

We'll be having lunch at Coral Reef and dinner at Chefs de France.

Day 4 - Hollywood Studios
And finally, we've made it to the whole reason we planned the trip in the first place. I cannot even begin to describe how excited I am to see the Osborne Lights! I LOVE Christmas, and Christmas lights are one of my favorite parts of the holiday season -- I just can't wait!

I've been constantly checking back to try to get a Fantasmic! Dining Package ADR, and I finally got one a couple of days ago for Mama Melrose's. Unfortunately, by that time, I all the Toy Story FP+s were gone. I'll keep checking back, but I'm forseeing an awfully long wait if we decide to do standby.

We're not big thrill junkies (my husband thought he was dying on Space Mountain), so we're not doing RnR or ToT.

We plan on experiencing:

• Fantasmic! (our favorite thing at any park!)
  • The Great Movie Ride (we're hoping we might have a better guide this time, unnecessary FP+)
  • Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular (favorite)
  • Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show (1st time, DH really wanted to see it last time, but the timing didn't work out)
  • Muppet*Vision 3D (favorite -- my husband is a HUGE Muppets fan, and this is the only thing we did more than once on our first trip)
  • Star Tours (favorite, FP+)
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid (favorite, FP+)
  • Walt Disney: One Man's Dream (favorite)
As previously mentioned, we're having an early lunch at Mama Melrose's, and we'll grab a QS dinner somewhere in the evening.

Day 1 - We're Here!
I'm typing this from our Cabanas room at Coronado Springs! Our flight from Indianapolis got in almost 40 minutes early, but Magical Express took longer than expected, so we still didn't get to the resort until around 8pm. And I was right -- we never did receive our luggage tags, so we just brought our one checked bag with us.

We dropped off our bags at our room and headed to Pepper Market to grab some dinner. I had the Texas bacon burger (monstrously huge, but delicious!), and my husband had the bacon cheeseburger. We brought it back to the room to eat and relax.

So far, I really like CSR. My husband is especially impressed; he thinks it's way nicer than POFQ. I'm not sure that I prefer CSR to POFQ, but we'll see how things go.

Tomorrow is MK day!

Last edited:
Day 5 - Disney Springs/Departure
On our last day at Disney, we figured we'd go to Disney Springs. We didn't explore it too much last time, and we wanted to try a new restaurant. We had planned on going to DisneyQuest (we got a package, so we received passes for a day), but I realized while we were on ME that I totally forgot to bring the little coupon booklet (normally, I'm the kind of person who's packed days ahead and has a checklist to go by, but things have been so hectic lately that I didn't have time to pack until this morning, so things didn't quite go as planned).

We'll be eating lunch at Raglan Road, but we haven't really decided what else we'll be doing yet. I definitely want to go back to the tea store!

Magic Kingdom

4qldw3.jpg

Since we are not morning people, and we weren't in a big rush, we got a bit of a late start to the day, arriving at MK a little after 11. I was so excited that I almost cried as we walked up to the train station. As we walked in, I was overwhelmed (in a good way) by the Christmas decorations; my husband said my face completely lit up when I saw the Christmas tree. We ended up meandering down Main Street to Tomorrowland, where we had fastpasses for Buzz Lightyear (I kicked my husband's butt...again). After, we decided to head back to Main Street and check things out with a little more detail, because on our first trip, we didn't really spend a lot of time there.

We stopped in at Crystal Arts and got to watch the glassblower make an ornament. I've always been fascinated by glassblowing, so it was a lot of fun to get to see it up close and in person!
We walked around, I took a lot of photos, and then we decided it would be fun to try Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. I was SO excited to get started, but after two fights with Jasper where my spell cards wouldn't work, I was pretty discouraged. I got him on the third try, but at that point I was ready to move on to something else. We finally got to see the Partners statue for the first time, since it was boarded up on our first trip.

wio4rp.jpg

We headed toward the castle, intent on going to Fantasyland, but a performance of Dream Along with Mickey was about to start, so we stayed to watch (and we really enjoyed it).

After the performance, it was almost time for our lunch reservation at Be Our Guest, so we killed some time taking photos and watching the Mine Train go by.

wml2s4.jpg
We headed to lunch, where, of course, the West Wing was full, so we decided to eat in the Rose Gallery since we had eaten in the ballroom on our first trip. Unlike our first trip, we got to bypass the line completely since we had preordered (they gave us a yellow rose); on our first trip, even though we had preordered, we still had to go through the line and confirm our choices. They said sometimes they use the yellow roses and sometimes they don't (I say it's pretty handy). Tom got the carved turkey sandwich and pommes frites with the master's cupcake, and I got the croque monsieur with green bean jardiniere and the eclair a l'orange. We both really liked the food (the croque monsieur was especially good), and I tried his cupcake (I wanted some grey stuff, which, though more whipped than I like, WAS delicious), and would definitely have lunch there again (between this lunch and our first trip's breakfast, we've never had anything but great food at BoG!)! Even though we had only been there for a couple of hours, Tom's feet were already bothering him (he had a gout flare up a few weeks ago, so that may have contributed), so we had a leisurely lunch. It was nice to not have to be rushing around!

330xvg3.jpg
After lunch, we headed to Mickey's PhilharMagic, my favorite MK attraction. We timed it nicely, and got right in, but they were having technical difficulties and we had to go back out to the holding area so they could run the show all the way through once. Many people left, but we stayed (it IS my favorite, after all!), and it was just as good as it was the first time.

We then headed to the Tangled area so my husband could use the bathroom before we rode It's A Small World. On our May trip, we had a 5 minute wait, so we were a little surprised to have a 35 minute wait, but we figured it was probably due to it being Thanksgiving weekend. The ride was wonderful, and possibly even better than our first trip, because there were no teenage boys in our boat complaining about how lame it was this time!

ejxu1i.jpg

After It's A Small World, we had a fastpass for Haunted Mansion, which was great as usual (and this time, my husband didn't think the stretching room was going to plunge downward like Tower of Terror, which made him much more at ease).

We had changed our last fastpass (BTMR, which my husband decided he didn't want to ride) to Jungle Cruise, which had a really long wait, but I really wanted to ride it for the Christmas experience (plus, it's just a lot of fun). We then headed over to Tom's favorite MK ride, Pirates of the Caribbean (I had forgotten how insanely long the queue is, especially when the projected 30 minute standby wait turned into 45+). We ended up sitting in the front (we were in the back last time), and I hadn't realized just how wet we were going to get.

We had a little time to kill until Jungle Cruise, and I really want to try a LeFou's brew (which was odd, but not in an unpleasant way), so we went to Gaston's. Tom ordered a cinnamon roll, not expecting it to be gargantuan, so we shared it. It was tasty, though a little dry (which probably isn't odd around 7pm).

We rode Jungle Cruise, and I thought the holiday angle was a hoot; our skipper was pretty good too (though not as good as our first trip skipper). By the time we were done, it was almost 8:00, so we hightailed it to Main Street to try to find a spot for the Main Street Electrical Parade. We ended up finding a spot near the Partners statue, but everything was really mobbed.

2n9dvti.jpg
The parade was very good, but I think I had built it up so much in my head that I was just a *little* disappointed. We had a great view of the castle for fireworks and Celebrate the Magic, but as previously mentioned, everything was mobbed. People were sitting in the walkways completely blocking them, and then other people would try to push through with strollers, and it was just all really overwhelming. I figured maybe we could find a place farther back that wasn't so packed.

My husband was getting annoyed by having to step through and over everyone, and became a little irritated that we had given up our vantage point, especially when the place went to watch (a bridge by the courtyards from Main Street to the hub) was somewhere we were told we couldn't be for safety reasons. We ended up moving over to the Tomorrowland bridge, which worked out well, though a tree in front of us made it difficult to fully enjoy Celebrate the Magic. Tom, who had, during the parade, been waxing poetic about Disney and how it brings out the best in him, was now so upset by how crazy firework viewing had been that he was talking about never coming back because it had pretty much soured him on the experience. He enjoyed Wishes (which we had only seen from the Poly previously), but not enough to make the magic come back.

After Wishes, in hopes of avoiding the worst of the crowds rushing to the buses, we went on the PeopleMover (which was a lot of fun at night!). After, he had calmed down enough to acknowledge that he DOES want to return to Disney, but he probably won't ever want to watch Wishes in the park again.

We caught the bus back to CSR. Because we had been so full from lunch, we weren't hungry enough to eat in the park (no lobster roll for me this trip :( ), so we headed to Pepper Market for dinner. He got tacos (which he said looked terrible but tasted great), and I got the crab cake sandwich, which was good. We ate outside under the lights before heading back to our room to relax for the night.

Last edited:
Epcot

Epcot doesn't really rank particularly high on my husband's favorites list (though he does love Soarin'!), but I LOVE Epcot, especially the World Showcase.

29260w1.jpg

We slept in again and got a leisurely start, and we ended up arriving with only a few minutes to wait for our reservation at Coral Reef Restaurant. I've heard a lot of bad things about the food over the years, but since we do a Full House podcast, it kind of felt like we needed to go. I was really impressed with the decor before we even got to the dining area. The dining area itself is beautiful and romantic, with dimmed lighting and cozy booths (the view, of course, certainly doesn't hurt!).

15s53rk.jpg

My husband was (pleasantly) surprised that they brought us bread, though, being the picky, vanilla eater that he is, he was a little freaked out by the black Hawaiian sea salt on the butter and only ate the salt-less corner. I had checked out the menu ahead of time on All Ears, and had planned on getting the baked cheese manicotti, but it wasn't on the menu; I ended up getting the shrimp and grits (which I loved), and my husband got the grilled New York strip steak (which he deemed one of the three best steaks he'd ever eaten, high praise from him). He opted to skip dessert, but I got the Baileys and Jack Daniel's mousse, and it was AWESOME (though I wasn't impressed by the caramel crisp on top).

We headed over to watch Captain EO. I had never been particularly interested in seeing it, but I figured we should see it while we could. I thought it was trying too hard to capture the charm of Labyrinth (but in space!), but failed miserably; Tom, however, loved it for how terrible it was.

nfjiqc.jpg

Afterward, we had FastPasses for Soarin' (where I remarked that it would make so much more sense for Soarin' to feature the countries of the World Showcase, so I was super excited to hear about Soarin' Around the World!) and Spaceship Earth, which we rode before heading over to World Showcase.

We checked out the Christmas decorations in Mexico before heading over to Norway for my favorite Disney World treat -- school bread! When we were leaving Norway to head to China, we noticed a crowd gathered around a small stage. We stayed and watched Sigrid and Julenissen tell us about Norwegian holiday traditions, and we thought it was great (educational and entertaining!).

2yxnr6x.jpg

At China, we finally watched Reflections of China. I thought it could use an update, but it was beautiful, and it showed me some sides of China's landscape that I hadn't realized existed.

We spent a lot of time looking at the intricacies of the little railroad garden at the Germany pavilion.

260x0nc.jpg

We spent a lot of time just people watching at the Italy pavilion. It wasn't crowded, and it just gave off a very relaxing vibe.

2urti4x.jpg

We hit The American Adventure just as the Candlelight Processional was beginning, so we sat by the fountain and listened to the choir and Gary Sinise for a bit. After a little while, we moved on to Japan and then Morocco (one of my favorite pavilions!), where we got to listen to part of a presentation on Moroccan festivals.

We finally headed to France, and realized we had time to watch Impressions de France (which we hadn't seen before) before dinner. Like Reflections of China, it was beautiful, but could probably use an update. It did make me think that all of the pavilions should have a movie that showcases the natural beauty of their countries (we didn't have time to watch O Canada!).

We had dinner at Les Chefs de France, where I had the macaroni and cheese (very good, but not the best meal I've eaten at Disney World) and the creme brulee (excellent), and Tom had the half chicken, which he proclaimed the best chicken he's ever eaten and the best thing he's ever eaten at Disney World.

den0g4.jpg

After dinner, we planned to catch the boat to Hollywood Studios and take the bus to the Polynesian, because I had planned on surprising Tom with watching the Electrical Water Pageant (which he didn't even know existed) from the beach. Tom had to go to the bathroom, and the boat left as he came out of the bathroom. The next one was running behind, so we decided to just trek back to the front of the park to catch the monorail. We got to the Polynesian much quicker than we would have otherwise, so we had plenty of time to grab a drink at Captain Cook's, find a spot on the beach (a porch swing!), and relax with our toes on the sand. Normally, I would have gotten a Dole Whip at Pineapple Lanai, but I was full of French food.

It was a party night at Magic Kingdom, so I wasn't sure what time the fireworks were starting, but the Pageant started on time. I thought it was so cool how they used the old school floats with music from The Little Mermaid! We both loved it, and definitely plan on watching again on our next trip!

We decided to take the boat to Magic Kingdom (we were right by the marina) so we could catch the bus back to Coronado Springs. While we were in the boat on the lagoon, the fireworks started; we noticed when we saw their reflection on the water. It was absolutely dazzling, and it was an entirely different experience than we had the night before (and different fireworks -- since it was a party night, they were doing Holiday Wishes, which was very impressive!). We arrived just in time to beat the fireworks, be the first ones in the bus queue (we were almost the only people on the bus period -- the driver started to pull away twice but was flagged down by people chasing him down), and watch the rest of the fireworks from the holding area.

It was a night we'll never forget!

There hasn't been much of an update recently because my computer decided it no longer wanted to live, taking half of my vacation photos with it. I'm hoping to have a replacement computer soon, because a friend of ours thinks he can salvage my files.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter