Homemade Pirate costume ideas wanted for female

Tink-n-MrIncredible

DIS Veteran
Hi all. Show me pictures of your homemade pirate costumes. Anyone have some ideas or suggestions. They will be greatly appreciated. BTW this is for a female. TIA Tink

I don't have pics, but gaucho pants(maybe cut them jagged at the bottom), a white poofy blouse and vest and a sash. A peasant skirt and corset. Just google and I'm sure a ton of things will come up:thumbsup2

I put mine together from findings at thrift stores, etc. over the space of a few months. White peasant shirt, black lace bodice (that got a few looks at the thrift store :blush:), an oversized Captain Jack type jackets, a shabby, peasanty skirt and then pirate jewelry and accessories galore : skull necklaces, shell bracelets, old compasses, red satin sash, etc., etc.

I just picked stuff up when I saw it and then mixed and matched with dh and the kids. It was a blast. I refused to buy boots to wear tho' as it would take up just too much suitcase space. Instead I bought some cheapo sandals that had a kind of cuff around the ankle to make them look like low boots or something.

Dh really wanted to bring boots but his mean wife wouldn't let him so we compromised and he bought those 'boot toppers' from a costume store to wear over black shoes. I'll post a link if I can find a pic handy.

Here ya' go:
pirate_family.jpg

Hi all. Show me pictures of your homemade pirate costumes. Anyone have some ideas or suggestions. They will be greatly appreciated. BTW this is for a female. TIA Tink

For my costume, I used a black mid-length skirt I already had, DD made me a "Renaissance-faire" shirt (she's into that), a "corset", black stockings and black shoes. Added the Disney bandanda with beads and that's me. For DH, I cut out a black felt vest, added some gold trim, bought a pirate hat at Disneyland. He wore just regular pants and shoes.

With our kids, DD and BF had costumes from their Faire stuff, DS wore a mockturtleneck sweater of mine, with thrift store kahkis cut off, an old sash off a blouse of mine and the DCL bandana.

Last edited:

Thrist stores are awesome. I got my skirt and boots there, also a great belt. I ordered a pirate hat on clearance through a costume store. I'm still looking for a shirt and will get some jewelry too.

For my costume, I used a black mid-length skirt I already had, DD made me a "Renaissance-faire" shirt (she's into that), a "corset", black stockings and black shoes. Added the Disney bandanda with beads and that's me. For DH, I cut out a black felt vest, added some gold trim, bought a pirate hat at Disneyland. He wore just regular pants and shoes.

Great photos - Thanks for sharing! This might just help me convince my husband that guys can have fun and dress up too. :)

My sister and I decided last minute that we wanted to dress up for pirates night. We had gotten a little costume for my nephew on clearance after Halloween.
I wore a black ruffled mid-length skirt. A white "crinkled" ( wrinkled) white blouse that I wore open over a tank top. I used a thick black belt to hold the shirt together under my chest. We went on a Wal-mart run and got the tackiest "gold" costume jewellery we would find. I wore thick hoop earrings, the bandana like a head scarf and some huge metal rings. My sister wore similar clothes with probably 15 necklaces. We found a toy Skully from Jake and the Neverland Pirates that we pinned to my brother-in-laws plain black top and found a pirate hat to stick on him.
It was fun! I saw people in great full costumes and others that were dressed up at all and neither seemed out of place.

I like to be comfortable and keep packing to a minimum...so I wear cropped black yoga pants, a long sleeve red & white striped t-shirt (from Kohls), a black skull & crossbones bandana and one big gold hoop earring. Guess you could call me the female Smee! :goodvibes

[And if I run out of clean clothes toward the end of the cruise, I can always wear the shirt and pants with other things...]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter