Home Resort

ErinInCT

Someday my tag will come...
Can weuy small numbers of points at each resort & then they would all be our Home resort thus making usligible to reserve 11 months out? For ex, can I buy resale 40 pts at BCV, 40 at OKW, 40 at WVL and 40 at BW for a total of160 points & then use all points at whichever resort I choose? Or do I just buy all points at one resort & hope for the best in getting a different resort? Thanks for any advice!

Maybe next time I should preview first!! weuy = we buy!!!
Should "we buy"...

You would only have 11 month reservation capability for the number of points you have at THAT RESORT. ie, in your example, you would only be able to make a ressie with 40 points at OKW at 11 months, unless you banked from one year into the next, and that year used the two years plus borrowed the following years points for your ressie. Then you would have 120 points for a ressie every 3rd year. You could use the other points at that resort too, but not until the 7 month mark.

Well, let me ask this...Is it hard to get ressies 7 months out? We will be travelling off season most of the time (Nov or Jan time frames). I am debating buying resale at VB which seems to have the best deals ($60+ per point) & then booking at a WDW resort. I have no interest in VB so I need to know that I can get a WDW location FOR SURE! Has anyone tried to reserve & NOT gotten something at the 7 month mark? If I bought OKW would I at least be guaranteed to get someting at OKW at ANY time or can they "refuse" you even if you are a DVC owner if you do not give enough notice? Sorry for dumb questions but I am new to this & want to make the most economical decision!

I think you would be able to do 7 month ressies at those times, but be aware that Vero also has the highest yearly dues, so while your initial outlay is less, you will have higher annual dues. The resale type resort with the lowest dues, is OKW.

Originally posted by ErinInCT
Well, let me ask this...Is it hard to get ressies 7 months out? We will be travelling off season most of the time (Nov or Jan time frames). I am debating buying resale at VB which seems to have the best deals ($60+ per point) & then booking at a WDW resort. I have no interest in VB so I need to know that I can get a WDW location FOR SURE! Has anyone tried to reserve & NOT gotten something at the 7 month mark? If I bought OKW would I at least be guaranteed to get someting at OKW at ANY time or can they "refuse" you even if you are a DVC owner if you do not give enough notice? Sorry for dumb questions but I am new to this & want to make the most economical decision!

It is more difficult to get ressies in November than in January, but if you are flexible with dates and/or are willing to use the waitlist you should be able to get a room at one of the WDW DVC resorts.

Before you buy VB, be aware that the annual dues there are the highest of all the DVC resorts and are likely to stay that way. What looks like a good deal now may not turn out to be such a good deal - especially if you don't think you would want to stay there! The best (and most often repeated) piece of advice from this forum is "Buy where you want to stay the most." Or at least where you wouldn't mind staying if everything else is booked!

The only thing you are guaranteed by contract (concerning reservations) is that you will have at least a one month booking advantage over other owners for your home resort. Currently, owners have a 4 month advantage or head start at their home resort. Reservations are on a first come, first served basis. If you buy at OKW and call 11 months ahead of your desired check outdate, it is very, very, very unlikely that you will not get your reservation. If you call for a reservation a couple of months prior to your vacation dates, you could easily find that there is nothing left for you.

HTH.

P.S. I don't think your questions are dumb at all!

My thoughts on a home resort if I were doing it again or buying additional points would be to buy at OKW, where the maintenance fee is cheaper. I don't know if theres much difference between 7mos. vs 11mos. out. I just booked 7 mos. out @ my home resort...BC with no problem for a 2 bdrm. :sunny:

Originally posted by senecabeach
My thoughts on a home resort if I were doing it again or buying additional points would be to buy at OKW, where the maintenance fee is cheaper. I don't know if theres much difference between 7mos. vs 11mos. out. I just booked 7 mos. out @ my home resort...BC with no problem for a 2 bdrm. :sunny:

I'm glad you got your reservation.

There are many times during the course of the year that a member can book at 7 months and be reasonably assured of getting a reservation. FWIW, September is one of the easier times to book DVC - it's not nearly as popular as October, November or December (Food & Wine Festival, Golf Tournament & various holiday activities).

I still think it is important to buy where you plan to stay the most often. In the long run, those who do will be much happier with their purchase. IMHO, the only time the home resort advantage isn't important is when someone is regularly unable to book more than 7 months ahead of time. If that is the case, I would suggest that DVC may not be right for them. JMHO. YMMV.

Originally posted by senecabeach
Just because OKW has the lowest dues now does not mean this will always remain so. Dues can and do change. Matter of fact OKW had the highest dues increase from the WDW DVC resorts for 2003 and I believe also for 2004.
I would say buying where you want to stay is more sound advice then buying at the cheapest dues resort, because this may or may not always be the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!