Home Resort and Use Year Question

luckytso

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis
Hi,

This board has been extremely helpful. However, I have the following questions. I would really appreciate it if you can help me out.

1. I am thinking about buying DVC points. Does it really matter which home resort you have in terms of getting an on-site reservations?

I am very tempted with the discount difference for VB and HH (Disney charges $75/point for these 2 and the resale market seems to be asking around $60/point). Once Disney sells out these 2 resorts, if I buy them from resale, do you think I have a good chance to sell them at a much higher price?

2. Do you think it will be more and more difficult to get on-site reservation if I have VB or HH (since I cannot even lock in to a on-site home resort at the 11-monthth window)?

3. BCV seems to be the newest and possibly smallest DVC properties on site (I am not sure how many units WL has though). Do you think this will be the hardest one to get reservation if your home resort is not there? Also, do you think, if I rent out the points, I may be able to get the most $ for it)?

Also, later down the road, do you think it may be easier to sell BCV?

4. About use year, for someone with yougn children who plan to go the WDW in the summer or immediately before/after Xmas, June seems to be the best use year. If that is the case, I am probably a typical DVC owner (famly with young children), wouldn't June be a popular use year?

Again, thanks in advance for your response.

Buying HH or VB to use primarily on site is a bad idea.

Regardless of the lies told by DVC sales folk, HOME RESORT DOES MATTER!

I think that HH and VB are cheapest now because most people realize the value of owning on site. Also, many were tricked by DVC sales staff into buying at these resorts, they found out that HOME RESORT DOES MATTER, and are now selling.

VB has the highest dues of all DVC properties, doesn't it seem kind of silly to consider buying VB for WDW stays?

I think HH and VB differential in cost will only widen. The resorts don't jump when they are sold out. DISNEY has been forced to offer HH and VB at a discount to other DVC properties. The MB program has almost always been much sweeter for HH and VB.

They were even giving out free VB points with breakfast at Olivia's for a while:D

The difference in cost will be made up by dues savings very quickly with an OKW resale.

The number one pices of advice given on the board is to buy where you plan to stay most.

I agree with Rich that I'd only buy where I wanted to stay the most. If price is the issue, consider resale, esp. OKW. That way you'd be assured on onsite if you plan ahead and you can change over to other resorts if available at the 7 month window. Also lowest dues and most resales. NO way I'd buy off property to mainly use on property, no reason to complicate your life more than necessary.

I would buy onsite at WDW if that is where you are planning to spend the majority of your time. Also, the dues at WDW are cheaper than HH or VB. My HH dues are almost double my OKW dues and I own 200 at HH and 150 at OKW. I would look at the location, themeing, etc of the various onsite resorts and pick the one that best suites your family's needs.

luckytso - Welcome to the DIS.

As Rich said, buy where you plan to stay. Home resort is very important. Use year is not that important if you plan your trips in advance and don't have to cancel at the last minute.

If you browse these boards, you will find much more information. Good luck.

VWL has the fewest units at WDW; BCV will have the second fewest but quite a bit more than VWL. Resale values at WDW resorts will likely remain higher than non-WDW ones. However, don't buy with the idea you can get good resale later (at any of the resorts). It is too unpredictable and you should assume eventually the bottom will fall out of resales as you start to get closer to the end 2042 date. Currently, BWV remains the hardest of the group to get with the 7 month window. BCV may be similar as it approaches sell-out. The 7 month window does not block you out at the WDW resorts but you often need more flexibility in both time to go and resort; for example, holiday times are very difficult to get (in other words, with the 7 month window, don't count on getting WDW at Christmas time, one of the times you mention, or any time in December as that month is a very high demand DVC time); also, OKW with the most units is often available when others are not other times of year. If your current plan is to go mostly in summer or sometimes around Christmas, June would be fine as a use year. Nevertheless do not get overly concerned with use year as it does not have anything to do with when you can go (any time of year) or when you can call to make ressies (11 months out at home, 7 at others). If all you ever do is go in summer then any use year from Feb to June is ideal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter