Home made household cleaners?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Chicago526, May 25, 2007.

1. Chicago526

Chicago526 <font color=red>Any dream will do...<br><font colo

Once I run out of my current batch of traditional cleaners, I want to switch to home made cleaners that don't use chemicals. I'm going to clean with things like vinager and baking soda. One reason is for cost, the other is because I think we are exposed to way too many chemicals, and I don't think that's healthy, for people and the enviroment as a whole.

Anyway, I know vinager and baking soda are great for counters and tables and such, but what should I use for floors? I have vinyl in the kitchen and baths, and hardwood in the rest of the house. Oh, and once the bath remodle is done, we'll have ceramic tile.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tinker&belle

tinker&belle DIS Veteran

I wanted to bump this up, I'm curious about this as well. I like the Method products, but they are kind of high.

4. ceecee

ceecee DIS Veteran

I tried that for a while and didn't have much luck. I really don't like the smell of vinegar either. I know someone said to use coke as a toilet cleaner, but it didn't work well either.

5. Goofyzgurl

Goofyzgurl DIS Veteran

I haven't made my own cleaner, but I do use a "green" cleaner. I just began using a couple of weeks ago and I LOVE it. No fumes and it's natural.

6. Mrs.Reese

Mrs.Reese <font color=darkorange>My name is Dr. Reese and I

Another "green" cleaner user here. I use it for everything. Smells great and no harsh chemicals.

7. Lisa AF

Lisa AF DIS Veteran

THere is a new book called Clean Green or something. Has lots of info on this topic. I'll do a little searching and post the title if i find it.

8. Lisa AF

Lisa AF DIS Veteran

Found it!
    Green This! Volume 1: Greening Your Cleaning by Deirdre Imus

9. Adi12982

Adi12982 DIS Veteran

My whole life my grandmother has mopped her floors (tile) with warm water and some vinegar (not enough that the house smells like vinegar - BUT maybe my sense of smell is not so strong?). The floors are always clean and shiny :)

10. VanessasMom

VanessasMom Disney Bound!