Holy Cow- so many resorts booked full

heidijanesmith

DIS Veteran
for our trip, Oct 4-Oct 11. Is it really going to be that busy?

We were booked Dec 16-23rd, but had to change for my son's graduation from Marine Boot camp is a couple days prior.

I thought that the 1st week of Oct was a "slow" time for WDW. Will it be busier than our last trip, 2nd week of Aug 2012?

for our trip, Oct 4-Oct 11. Is it really going to be that busy?

We were booked Dec 16-23rd, but had to change for my son's graduation from Marine Boot camp is a couple days prior.

I thought that the 1st week of Oct was a "slow" time for WDW. Will it be busier than our last trip, 2nd week of Aug 2012?

The Gartner Symposium is scheduled for October 6-10. Many of the deluxe and moderate resorts are usually booked for the conference. Most of the meetings are scheduled at the Swan/Dolphin.

ALso alot of schools have a Fall break the 1st and 2nd weeks of October, plus Food and Wine is at Epcot so that books the Epcot resorts

Yes, that tends to be the busiest week in October. Lots of fall breakers, F&W Festival and other things I am sure. It probably won't be "middle of summer" busy, but it won't be slow either.

That is also the weekend for the Tower of Terror 10 mile run at the Studios so that will also be a big draw for runners.

Before all of the events that were mentioned above it was considered "convention" month so October has become a fairly busy month in WDW, but I think F&W has become the most popular event that is bringing in the higher crowds although if you look at a lot of the crowd calendars it's still considered "low" to "moderate" as opposed to "high".

There is a lull around Halloween (few days before and after), this is when we've gone a few years and the crowds are definitely more manageable.

Because of the various other events and Columbus Day you will find quite a variation. :)

The Gartner IT convention is that week. They have it every year in October at the Swan and Dolphin. They offer special rates for the convention participants at almost all resorts. You will be hard pressed to find anywhere to stay those 4 days. You might want to consider changing your dates. The convention is usually around the 20th. I guess they moved it up this year.

The Gartner IT convention is that week. They have it every year in October at the Swan and Dolphin. They offer special rates for the convention participants at almost all resorts. You will be hard pressed to find anywhere to stay those 4 days. You might want to consider changing your dates. The convention is usually around the 20th. I guess they moved it up this year.

Does the convention make the PARKS a lot busier that week, or just the hotels?

nat8199 said:
Does the convention make the PARKS a lot busier that week, or just the hotels?

There is no significant increase in the parks, but its definitely more busy around the boardwalk area.

We can't change our dates, we are locked in with my husbands work. It was hard to get him changed from our Dec dates. We are staying at AKL this time, so I am not too worried about the convention goers at the EPCOT area. Just concerned about the parks and crowds. We are used to July and August touring, so if it's better than that, we will be ok.

Before all of the events that were mentioned above it was considered "convention" month so October has become a fairly busy month in WDW, but I think F&W has become the most popular event that is bringing in the higher crowds although if you look at a lot of the crowd calendars it's still considered "low" to "moderate" as opposed to "high".

There is a lull around Halloween (few days before and after), this is when we've gone a few years and the crowds are definitely more manageable.

Because of the various other events and Columbus Day you will find quite a variation. :)

Glad to see this. This past year we went Sept 15-23 and the low crowds were FANTASTIC! This year we are Oct 26-Nov 3 because of my sister's job and I was worried the crowds would be too much for us.

Yes it is very possible certain days at certain parks will be busier than when you went in August.

October is a prime time for conventions, Food and Wine, Halloween parties and it gets busier each year.

Symposium takes over both S&D and bc/YC conference centers. Also, extends with tents to the parking lots. Plus lots of bus traffic in addition to Wdw buses as they bring attendees from all other deluxes.

In the past only Epcot resorts where available, but now they've extended it to all other deluxes. This does reduce the demand for these, but gartner brings 6-7k attendees and employees.

Parks are not an issue. There's a private event and one of the parks is closed at night for attendees (including food and open bar). Except three years ago when the event was held at IOA after HP opened.

But dinner at the expensive restaurants in the Epcot resorts is an issue. Many vendor dinners and special events. Two years ago at house if blues, Bon Joci did a private concert...

It's a it money maker. Tickets do cost about 4K.

Lets not forget that that is Columbus Day weekend too, so many schools have a little longer weekend/break. I actually considered coming down that weekend...but maybe not...:rolleyes1

My original choice was for Coronado Springs, but rooms were completely booked for my dates in October, except for suites which were thousands extra! (No thanks!) I was wondering the reason for this... guess I know why. All choices of rooms were available at POFQ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!