Hollywood Studios - What are the Best Snacks, CS and TS meals

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by IMwink, May 16, 2009.

1. IMwink

IMwink Mouseketeer

I love to cook and with all the restaurants, I believe that food is a essential part of experiencing Disney. It is a great place to try things that maybe you haven't had before. Not to mention it is a chance to sit down and take a break.

I am trying to get Ideas for what are the best foods to eat (or try for the first time) at Holywood Studios if I am only going to be there one day

Please provide me with your Favorite Snack, CS meals and TS meals.

This is what I've got so far

Must Have Snack
    Banana Cooler – Herbie’s Drive-In
    Turkey Leg - Toluca Legs Turkey Co
    Frozen Coolers - Herbie's Drive-In

Better Table Service Restaurant (TS
    50’s Prime Time Café - S'mores Dessert, Pot Roast (Great Atmoshphere)
    Sci-fi Diner - Milkshakes, Burgers, Great atmosphere
    Hollywood and Vine - hit and miss, buffet style, Good Character meal for preschoolers
    Mama Melrose - Hit or Miss. Good Chicken Parm

Good Counter Service (CS)
    The Writers Stop – Coffee shop, Good Coffee, good atmosphere, and has coffee shop snacks (almost all are on the DDP snack option)
    Studio Catering Co. (good chicken Caesar wrap)
    Toy Story Pizza Planet - good for salads, descent Pizza (like a boboli bread pizza), (for the kids, it has an arcade)
    Starring Rolls Bakery – Huge Sandwiches for QS, Great for a quick breakfast, almost all the pastries are on the Snack DDP
    Sunset Market
    Catalina Eddie's - Italian Sandwich

Stay away from Restaurant
    ABC Commissary (severely dissed on other DISboards)

If you like this thread then check out my Tips Threads and please Contribute
    Epcot Tips
    Hollywood Studios Tips
    Animal Kingdom Tips
    Magic Kingdom Tips

Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. NOLA_Tink

NOLA_Tink NOLA_Tink

Snack: turkey leg from Toluca Turkey Leg
    CS: Fairfax Fare (yummy & fresh salads) or the Italian sandwich at Catalina Eddies' (it's the same delicious sandwich that's available at Pizzafari)
    TS: 50's for the home-style meals, great s'mores, & fun atmosphere

4. Tinker_Belle

Tinker_Belle DIS Veteran

Does Starring Rolls still serve sandwiches too? I heard that was the best place to go for a quick lunch. (Plus, they have that yummy grapefruit cake. ;))

5. RainbowWit

RainbowWit ToT makes me SQUEEEEE

50's PT - LOVE the Pot Roast and the kids loved the s'mores dessert. Atmosphere A+
    Meh...nothing to say about anything else

6. IMwink

IMwink Mouseketeer

Starring Rolls is listed as having sandwiches. I've never been to HS so I can't comment on whether they are good or not.

Sounds like Starring Rolls is a lot like Main Street Bakery in MK.

Common y'all, should I list a turkey leg as a Snack or a CS? I'm big guy (6ft 220) and I don't think I could eat one of those legs without help. Is it a snack because it is one of those sharing snacks?

I've heard that they smell better than they taste. But I bet if you got one for lunch rather than later in the day, it would probably be better.

7. ceecee

ceecee DIS Veteran

About the only place we like there is 50's PT. Sci Fi was fun once for the atmosphere not the food. H & V so so as was Mama Melrose.

8. TXMomof3boys

TXMomof3boys Mouseketeer

I have looked at the menus on DIS and All Ears but can not find a place that lists popcorn. Can someone share a place that carries the popcorn buckets? We would like to get a souvenir bucket from each park for movie nights at home. Thank you!

9. CR Resort Fan 4 Life

CR Resort Fan 4 Life DIS Veteran

For table service I enjoy 50's Prime Time Cafe because of it's theme and amazing atmosphere. As for counter service even though it does not have the greatest reputation on here, I like the ABC Commissary.

10. NOLA_Tink

NOLA_Tink NOLA_Tink

DH & I usually share it as a snack. I don't think one turkey leg would fill either of us up by itself, but some people may consider it for a meal.

11. a1tinkfans

a1tinkfans Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

POPcorn bucket "stand" was in MK last year by Space Mountain, but since it is in rehab, not sure if they moved....usually alone Main street in front of Castle too!!

12. jcemom

jcemom Official Tag Fairy Assistant

CS: Italian Sandwich at Catalina Eddie's
    TS: Burgers, onion rings and milkshakes at Sci Fi
    Snack: Frozen Coolers from Herbie's

13. IMwink

IMwink Mouseketeer

Sorry to anyone I may have offended earlier in the post. I edited the post to be more precise.

Common y'all, should I list a turkey leg as a Snack or a CS? I'm big guy (6ft 220) and I don't think I could eat one of those legs without help. Is it a snack because it is one of those sharing snacks?

I've heard that they smell better than they taste. But I bet if you got one for lunch rather than later in the day, it would probably be better.

Any thoughts?

14. catne

catne DIS Veteran

I think you better list that turkey leg as a counter service meal, because while some may want to buy it as a snack, you cannot actually get it for a snack credit...it's like $6 or more.

and Starring Rolls has a couple of choices of delicious gourmet/deli style sandwiches at lunch time. You can use DDP counter service credit to get the sandwich, chips, drink & pick one of the wonderful bakery items as your DDP dessert.

15. tksbaskets

tksbaskets DIS Veteran

LOVE the turkey leg but it is a CS meal. They include chips and a drink. No dessert with that one.

Table Service:
    Mama Melrose - DELICIOUS
    50's PTC - Very fun and the food is tasty
    Sci-FI - DON'T DO IT!! We were SO disappointed. If you have to see it, I suggest having the Oreo shake and burger. It was dark and we did not enjoy not being able to see our pricey food.

Counter Service. Better values that the Turkey Legs can be found. My guys eat there and I walk behind to the place that sells burgers/salads.

We had a 'hit' at the ABC commissary. The Pizza Planet Pizza is like a boboli bread pizza. It is OK.

16. tksbaskets

tksbaskets DIS Veteran

Hollywood Studios:
    You can get a bucket of popcorn down by the sidewalk that leads to Fantasmic (beyond Beauty and the Beast on the right before you get to the tower or terror)

Another spot for popcorn is by the hat as you walk in and turn right towards Animation avenue.

The final one I know is by Toy Story Mania.

Magic Kingdom:
    In front of Liberty Tree Tavern

The other parks are popcorn mysteries to me.

Happy pop-corning!

17. MrBean

MrBean Runnin' Dopey

Starring Rolls is great for lunch. Huge sandwiches and gourmet desserts (yummy Tiramasu)!

Mama Melrose was great last time we went too. Loved the calamari and chicken parm. I've heard some off things about other dishes, but what we had very delish. That, and the Fantasmic package was very worth it ;)

18. TXMomof3boys

TXMomof3boys Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info on where to get popcorn buckets at DHS and MK! I will be on the hunt for the other to parks when we get there! :)

19. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Mouseketeer

What do folks think about the Brown Derby. I have reservations there for next weekend but I can't seem to find anything on anyone saying, "Oh, it's great!"

The only thing I found that said, "Oh, it's horrible!," was in the "restaurants to avoid"-thread which, if you were to take all of that info to heart it'd mean you wouldn't eat at WDW.

I'm considering swapping to Mama Melrose for cost and I've seen a few folks recommend it.

Stick with Brown Derby (I'm not doing the Fantasmic Dinner deal although, I really don't get how that works as the restaurant is nowhere near Fantasmic) or swap to Mama Melrose?

It's just me and my 15yo daughter.

20. Tinker_Belle

Tinker_Belle DIS Veteran

We LOVED the Brown Derby! The food was amazing, and it was so quiet (not a lot of small children eat there)! It was our favorite dinner when we went 2 years ago! Since your DD is older, she is more likely to appreciate it too. Also, if you like wine, the wine flight is great! :goodvibes

21. mc'smommy

mc'smommy Troublemaker Tours

This is a great thread with some great suggestions....Thanks