Hilton Head on a budget?

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
We are thinking f taking a *gasp* non disney vacation. Want to do something different. Hilton head is a driveable distance for us.
We are willing to spend a little (doesn't have to be super budget) but have no idea about the area or wat to do or costs, etc.
Any insights? Thanks so much!

There are plenty of ways to get a place to stay on the island. I'd look into timeshare rentals (Redweek) or VRBO to start out. Google Hilton Head rental and you'll come up with lots of options.

I'd suggest looking in Sea Pines or Shipyard if you want to be near good biking paths (the best way to get around), beach access, shopping, and restaurants. Forest Beach would be a non-gated area to look as well. I'd avoid Hilton Head Plantation as it's at the top of the island far from the 'hot spots for touring'.

With a rental and a kitchen, you can do a lot of meals in your unit. We usually eat out once a day while there to keep expenses down.

What time of year are you thinking of going? Hopefully not June-Aug... too hot and too crowded. Spring and Fall are best.

We love Hilton Head. Have you considered renting DVC points and staying at the Disney resort? It is fabulous! Not exactly budget friendly, but doable. Depending on when you are going, it can be pretty affordable.

I do agree with the PP who said that summer is not the best time for a visit-- really crowded.

We love Hilton Head and visit a couple times a year. We like to rent a villa in Palmetto Dunes Resort. Within the resort, we like the villas at Queens Grant.....very large...ground level with a deck and about an 8 min walk to the beach. it is mid Island so it is centrally located. We like Queens Grant because some of the units are pet friendly and we can bring our Cocker Spaniel. Anywhere in Palmetto Dunes is great. We always rent through home away or VRBO.com.

If you don't care about staying in a Plantation, Hilton Head Beach and Tennis Resort is right on the beach
and very affordable.

For a budget rental with great beach access, Hilton Head Resort has villas for about $700 a week. It is an older resort, but they have made improvements and the beach itself is beautiful. ThEy also have an indoor pool...not fancy at all...very basic, but nice for little ones if weather isn't great. The units are small, however.

Disney does have a resort here, but be aware that it is NOT on or near the beach per say. They do have a shuttle that will take you to their beach pavilion in Palmetto Dunes Resort. But you can rent a place yourself right in Palmetto Dunes and be closer to the beach for a lot less money.

There are bike trails all over....golf and tennis courses and tons of shopping, horseback riding, zip line, boating, fishing, etc.

Hilton Head is also easily accessible to Savannah and about two hours from Charleston.

If you rent through home away or VRBO, you will most likely pay less than renting a timeshare week. We have never paid over $900 a week and have stayed in some great places.

Hope this helps!! Have fun planning!!

Last edited:

Have spent many weeks in Hilton Head, summer and late fall. Just wondering if you have been there before? It's a unique beach destination and if really depends on what you like to do on your beach vacations to know if it's the right spot for you. If I didn't have a free place to stay on the beach each time - I would not be going there.

I am a local in Hilton Head. Most people rent their homes on VRBO and you can find very affordable rates. Obviously some can be expensive but take a look at what there is to offer.

Eating out can be expensive in Hilton Head but some great places that are a little cheaper are- Signes or Sunraise Cafe for breakfest. Seashack for lunch. Charbar or Holy Tequla for dinner.

We have 2 large tanger outlets for shopping

Charthouse is a Landry select restaurant just like Rainforest Cafe or TRex in disney so if you have a 25$ Landry credit for your birthday it will work there. Charthouse can be expensive but its great food.

Explore Harbour Town and South Beach Marina (5$ to get in seapines per car)- Beach- I recommend Colginy Beach Park.

Shelter Cove Mall has been redeveloped into a mixed use lifestyle center with a water front park. A new 90k square foot Kroger and Whole Foods are located in this area

Kayak Guided trip with Outside Hilton Head

Side trip to Savannah for a walking tour of historic downtown - https://www.citywalkingguide.com/squaresofsavannah (hour away from south island, Less than a hour from north island or bluffton)

Old Town BLuffton farmers market on thursdays and exploring the 150+ year old waterfront church http://www.oldtownbluffton.com/

Let me know specific questions and I will answer them

I love Hilton Head. It is a very nice, big beach with lots of bike riding. We've rented from VRBO before and there are tons of options. I don't think the Disney property would be ideal for beach time. We like to eat at little places like Fat Baby's Pizza and Kenny B's (shrimp po boys!!) which aren't expensive. We go late August/early September so it isn't crowded.

Savannah is very close. It is an easy day trip and I really enjoy visiting there.

Thank you so much for all your responses! We would like to go the third week of April, (vacation here for my teacher husband) It's meant to be a belated 25th anniversary trip for the two of us as both kids are away at school We love the beach, and would like to be oceanfront. Unfortunately my knees are shot and biking is out for me until i get a replacement. Kayaking would be great. Would love to visit Savannah and see the history there, we are both history buffs. Nice dining but not high end $$ dining.

Thank you so much for all your responses! We would like to go the third week of April, (vacation here for my teacher husband) It's meant to be a belated 25th anniversary trip for the two of us as both kids are away at school We love the beach, and would like to be oceanfront. Unfortunately my knees are shot and biking is out for me until i get a replacement. Kayaking would be great. Would love to visit Savannah and see the history there, we are both history buffs. Nice dining but not high end $$ dining.

Just be sure to check that your dates are not when the big golf tournament is going on. I think it is early in April so you are probably fine, but trust me-- you don't want to be anywhere near HHI then!!

Just be sure to check that your dates are not when the big golf tournament is going on. I think it is early in April so you are probably fine, but trust me-- you don't want to be anywhere near HHI then!!
The RBC heritage golf tournament is April 13th to 19th. Yes it gets very busy but outside of sea pines (where the tournament is) it's not bad. But that week you will not be able to visit Harbour town or south beach most likely and many of the restaurants have special events so will be closed. Since everyone is at the golf tournament. The beach will feel a lot less crowded. Oh and the rates will be much higher that week.

Last edited:
We were there last year for Heritage week. It wasn't bad at all outside of SeaPines.

I love Hilton Head and had always stayed in Sea Pines (My grandparents used to live them!)

Last year we stayed at a condo about a block off the beach is South Forest Beach and we LOVED it Once we parked the car we were DONE driving for the week. Walked to dinner, I rented a bike and rode around etc. We didn't spend much at all. Since it was drivable we bought LOTS of food and supplies from home where we could get a little better deal (plus it saved a lot of time) We had breakfast and lunch in our villa and went out to dinner every night at restaurants in the area. Lots of good choices

We rented off of VRBO and it worked out great. Just read the reviews.

We love Hilton Head. Have you considered renting DVC points and staying at the Disney resort? It is fabulous! Not exactly budget friendly, but doable. Depending on when you are going, it can be pretty affordable.

It's actually cheaper to pay out of pocket for DVC at Hilton Head than to rent points.

Check Groupon and Living Social. There are always great groupon deals for dolphin cruises and kayak trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter