High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

It will be my babys last year in school. He has a idea where he wants to go but he needs to get more info if they have the program he wants to do. We plan on going to the college this summer because we are going to be right by it. So far he is doing really great his jr year. Just waiting to see what his schedule will be next year.

My DS is having a decent year, he is back to all of his sports after a summer sidelined with a broken ankle. He did very well on his PSATs with the highest total score in his school. He's taking the March SAT. He has no idea where he wants to go yet, but he knows he wants a "big school".
We started the college visit process in the fall, and we are plugging along slowly- he hates going to visit schools, but he is finally starting to admit that it's necessary to visit the campus and get a feel for what life would be like there for four years. I made a prediction when he was in 7th grade that UConn would be the school for him (it's a silly story about my older one going to Hofstra where the mascot is a lion that looks exactly like his childhood lovey, a stuffed lion named booboo. This son's lovey was a husky named Sparky, UConn is the Huskies, so I started the running joke) well, so far UConn is near the top of his list, and holding steady.
We're encouraging him to apply to a few summer programs, not only to get a feel for college life, but to see if he really wants to pursue his intended major, mechanical engineering. He's never been a tinkerer, so I wonder what's driving him, I just hope he doesn't get into a program and later regret his choice.

Just bumping to check in.

Only a couple months left, they get out in June here.

Oh,.dd is pregnant, 4 months along. We found out last month. It has been really hard this past month any time sickness. Trying to keep her on track so working with the school, her guidance counselor is wonderful.

Oh, wow, hereyago! So you are going to be a grandmother! Glad your DD has your support and will try to stay on track for school. Wasn't she interested in veterinary assisting? Hopefully she can still keep going with it. :hug:

School will be getting out pretty late here with all the snow days.

Hard to believe pretty soon we'll have Seniors! Even DD can't believe how fast the time has gone!

Yea, it has been a big tilt a whirl ride last 6 months,mom passing, getting a new normal then last month,lol.

But she can still do vet assistant course if she doesnt get in for 12 th.grade, there is an adult course.

Her df wants us to move an hour away to be.closer to him,step mom and step sis. I dont know.

How many days did yall end up having? Ugh snow.

Congratulations to the "won't be long now" addition to the family. I'm sure this has been an emotional time for you all.

The last day of school here is June 16th. Thank goodness we don't have to make up the snow days we had. We actually had a two hour delay yesterday due to the snow and ice we got Wednesday night into Thursday morning. I'm sure hoping that is the last of it because I am so done.

DS17 is busy, busy and adding more things to his calander all the time. He is signed up to take the ACT, SAT, SAT Subject Test and will be taking his AP History exam along with all the other class finals. He was accepted into the Navel Academy's Summer Seminar and will be spending 6 days down in Maryland for that. This just happens to take place while he is still in school so he'll miss 4 days in May/June for that. Then 3 days after the last day of school he will be away for 5 1/2 weeks to St. Paul's School in NH for their Advanced Studies Program. Add to all that his participation in Track & Field and I have no idea how he does it. Makes me tired just typing it out.

It is hard to believe that we will have Seniors soon!

The countdown is on, dd gets out on May. Junior year has been a whirlwind and Senior year will be more so.

Dd has taken the ACT but will take it again next year, trying for one of the big scholarships, already has one of the smaller ones in the bag. She will attend the school I work at so its easy for me to check and see what she quaifies for. She's pretty sure on her transfer school but with choir and theater that may change. Seeing so many of this year's Seniors stressing about what school and which offers are better makes me glad that at least the first two years are settled for her. Good luck to all your upcoming Seniors on getting the school of their choice, I know it can be stressful worrying about it.

Next week we will be going to the Choir State Festival. So proud of these kids. 6 groups and 5 recieved supeior ratings at district so now they are state bound!

Spring is a huge time for choir so she's about worn out from that. But it will be over too soon and then she and her fellow upcoming Seniors will start preparing for college auditions. Concert, show choir and a capella.

Hit reply too soon!

Hereyago! Grandma! It really is great that your dd has you behind her and supporting her through all thIs. So glad to hear she is keeping school on track and her future plans moving forward.

Dd will dual enroll next year. She can take one online class each semester for free. Have any of your kids taken online classes? I took most of my college classes that way but was much older and preferred it. I am a little concerned about her handling not having the classroom lectures but at least she will still have her hs teachers close by.

Last edited:
My dd will be a Senior next year. She hasn't taken the SAT yet, might take it next year or might not. Her plan is to go to the community college here and has made her schedule for next year, she will be taking 3 of her CC classes. She has an idea of where she wants to transfer but isn't 100% sure. We'll take a couple road trips over the summer to check out some campuses so she can narrow it down.

I pictured the whole getting ready for college thing very differently for her but I'm just happy she has a plan and that she isn't as stressed out as I see some of her friends.

Oh,.dd is pregnant, 4 months along. We found out last month. It has been really hard this past month any time sickness. Trying to keep her on track so working with the school, her guidance counselor is wonderful.

I'm so glad that she has great support system. Congratulations on the upcoming arrival :)

We are just finishing up Spring Break here and the reality of being a senior soon is starting to set in. DD has done really well with her Ryman art classes and is still very focused on getting into an Art college. As long as her art instructor approves, she will renew her scholorship with Ryman for the Fall Semester and keep going :)

But how hard it is to get in colleges (at least here in CA) is really stressing her out. A friend of hers is a senior this year and is what most would consider a prime college candidate. He is on the student council, does sports, does volunteer work with Make-a-wish, takes honors and AP classes, etc. But still didn't get into the colleges he wanted. He was only accepted by one and it was one he applied for because his Mom told him to apply for at least 5. So he has decided to go the Community College route on the Honors program instead of taking that last choice school that he doesn't really want anyway. His other friend that does not get quite as good of grades applied for 11 schools and was rejected by all :( So yeah, DD is starting to worry and I hate that it is so much pressure for them. If she doesn't get the schools that she wants, she will also go the Community College route and transfer.

But how hard it is to get in colleges (at least here in CA) is really stressing her out. A friend of hers is a senior this year and is what most would consider a prime college candidate. He is on the student council, does sports, does volunteer work with Make-a-wish, takes honors and AP classes, etc. But still didn't get into the colleges he wanted. He was only accepted by one and it was one he applied for because his Mom told him to apply for at least 5. So he has decided to go the Community College route on the Honors program instead of taking that last choice school that he doesn't really want anyway. His other friend that does not get quite as good of grades applied for 11 schools and was rejected by all :( So yeah, DD is starting to worry and I hate that it is so much pressure for them. If she doesn't get the schools that she wants, she will also go the Community College route and transfer.
That's crazy! Keeping my fingers crossed for your DD!

I know that community colleges are very different from state to state, but here, at least, its a great option. And it really takes some of the pressure off some of these students. Plus the ones in this state offer some great scholarships. DD's prom date as a full ride to play football at one and several other students have gotten great athletic as well as academic scholarships to community colleges across the state. A lot of students here, if they don't get in somewhere as a freshman, go to comm. college and then re-apply and get in with no trouble.

DD is thinking her transfer school will be a state school but with her, as of right now, chosen major, I think that may change.

It as been a busy spring so far for DD. She made the varsity soccer team, and added a biology class (Molecular Genetics) to her schedule. She dropped her third trimester of AP Chemistry, since it is only AP test prep, and she decided not to take the test. She has the MolGen class, Physics, Pre Calculus, Latin, and American Studies. She also is taking a twice-a-week Mentoring prep class to get ready for her Mentoring research she will be involved in next year.

The Prom is tomorrow night, and the SAT is coming up early next month. The juniors are very involved with Commencement in June as well, so there is that to look forward to. Soccer games twice a week and practices every other day keep her super busy as well.

The college search has been a bit of a challenge- DD seems to be in denial about the whole thing. She doesn't want to visit campuses or even discuss which schools she is considering. Hopefully over the summer, when she doesn't have as much other stuff going on, she will get serious about making decisions. We have been getting information from a multitude of schools all over the country- I think she may just be a little overwhelmed by the choices. It doesn't help that we are very worried about the real possibility that we won't be able to afford many of the schools she might be interested in.

DD17 is having terrible migraines right now and we have tried a laundry list of cures without any lasting success. Our PCP has her on 2 different preventative meds, she is taking B12 and magnesium daily, uses Young Living essential oils in a diffuser each night and carries them in her purse to apply topically as needed. She is sensitive to noise and light, does not care for cold packs or cloths, but does like warmth. We have a big tube sock filled with raw rice we microwave for a couple of minutes to use for her head and neck.

She has an appointment to see a neurologist in early May, that was soonest I could get her in!

Same with the gyno. I still see the dr that delivered DD, but she is not accepting new patients right now. I did try to convince them that DD was technically an existing patient, but the front desk gal was not amused. LOL I think the headaches might be hormonal.

She has missed several days of school this spring and it is very frustrating. I hate not being able to help her more!

School is fine, the college search is somewhat on hold. I had Achilles' tendon surgery a couple of months ago and I am just now back to walking, but slowly and painfully! I am not up to a campus tour and DD is a bit too stressed to consider it.

She has end of course exams, AP exams, the SAT and the ACT coming up in the next 6 weeks. I don't even want to think about adding anything else to her plate. She tends to get overwhelmed if she has too much going on.

DD17 is having terrible migraines right now and we have tried a laundry list of cures without any lasting success. Our PCP has her on 2 different preventative meds, she is taking B12 and magnesium daily, uses Young Living essential oils in a diffuser each night and carries them in her purse to apply topically as needed. She is sensitive to noise and light, does not care for cold packs or cloths, but does like warmth. We have a big tube sock filled with raw rice we microwave for a couple of minutes to use for her head and neck.

She has an appointment to see a neurologist in early May, that was soonest I could get her in!

Same with the gyno. I still see the dr that delivered DD, but she is not accepting new patients right now. I did try to convince them that DD was technically an existing patient, but the front desk gal was not amused. LOL I think the headaches might be hormonal.

She has missed several days of school this spring and it is very frustrating. I hate not being able to help her more!

School is fine, the college search is somewhat on hold. I had Achilles' tendon surgery a couple of months ago and I am just now back to walking, but slowly and painfully! I am not up to a campus tour and DD is a bit too stressed to consider it.

She has end of course exams, AP exams, the SAT and the ACT coming up in the next 6 weeks. I don't even want to think about adding anything else to her plate. She tends to get overwhelmed if she has too much going on.

I can't even imagine dealing with all that plus a migraine. Dang! I hope you are able to find her the relief she needs.

Aww, the poor thing! Are the headaches cyclical?

Aww, the poor thing! Are the headaches cyclical?
I think so. Her cycles are not regular and I am hoping a gyno can help with that. I just really hate that she cannot see my dr. :mad:

I just looked at the attendance website and she has missed 4 full days of school since January and 6 partial days. :scared: She is in danger of not getting credit for this term. I have emailed her counselor to set-up a face to face meeting to discuss it. Her only saving grace is that they have 4 classes on "A" day and 4 different classes on "B" day and the absences have been pretty even so it is more like missing 4 class days per class. The max is 5 before she has to start making it up in Saturday school. We have to pay $5 an hour for her to attend. Not fun, but WAY better than her repeating her junior year.

Poor baby! I know she is 17 and will be 18 in 8 months, but she is still my baby! :lovestruc

How is your DD doing? Is she feeling well?

I had my son when I was 21. Not quite the same as your DD, but decidedly sooner than I had planned. My BF became my husband and we started our little family with lots of love and support from friends and family. We both finished school and everything worked out fine. Everyone tells me I don't look old enough to have a 22 year old graduating from college and they are right, but I just smile and say thank you.

I also had several HS students with babies and it is doable. They did not have the stereotypical high school experience but they all did well. I wish her all of the best!

What is your "grandma" name going to be? :)

HannaBelle: I.hope your dd.gets relief soon from the migraines.

Pregnancy hasnt been good to dd at
all. Any time sickness, the anti sickness pills either make her sleepy or dizzy. She has lost some weight and she was 105 lbs soaking wet, small.frame.

She passed out the other day, hit her head and had to be taken to the ER. They didnt want to.scan her head due to being pregnant, so they said to keep an eye on her if she starts acting odd.

I am not sure about the grandma names yet.

So, how is everyone's summer going?? Can you believe we all have SENIORS now???

DD ended up getting a summer mentorship at UNC- she is working in a chem lab, separating plant proteins with grad students and her mentor, an associate professor in the Chemistry department. She is staying at school until the end of July, when she will come home for 2 weeks before starting senior year in mid-August.

We are headed out of state to visit a few college campuses this week. We will visit a few more in August, then it will be time to start the application process.

What are all of your rising seniors up to?

Dd is enjoying summer when she can. Wisdom teeth removed in June, tonsils coming out Thursday. In between she has been at the lake and beach and as secretary and librarian of the choir she has had to go to the school a few timess to work on the choir room and plans for next year's music.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter