High School Class of 2015

sj&k, if your daughter ends up having to have a roommate, tell her to seek out an engineering major (if there are any at her school). I am a female engineer and, much like your daughter, I have had mostly male friends throughout my life, and I despise girl drama. Strangely enough, 99% of all female engineers I've met are very low on the drama. For whatever reason, we are just a different "breed" of woman! LOL Also, I can't stress this enough, it is important for women to find a few like-minded female friends; guy friends are great, but there's nothing like a girlfriend that you can trust and rely on. Perhaps having a roommate will start a great friendship!! I hope your daughter has a great college experience!!

Thank you so much! Considering that her best girlfriend is planning on majoring in engineering, I can definitely see where that would be true. They've had little to no drama between them since becoming friends as very young children and very few disagreements. Unfortunately they won't be going to college together or the roommate situation would be a non-issue. She does have a few other girlfriends and she is talking to a few girls who will be her future classmates so hopefully if she winds up needing a roommate she'll be able to work something out with one of them.

It's probably late, but you can request a transcript from IRS right off their website. I had it in 2 minutes.

Also, it may not apply to many here, but it did for us. I had an IRA rollover, and when using the DRT, the IRS transfers this number to the FAFSA as a distribution. It increases the EFC. It clearly states on the FAFSA that if this is a rollover it needs to be manually adjusted.

The college FA departments do not consider this and every single college DS applied to kept changing our FAFSA.

I had to call every single college and explain this to them, plus provide a copy of our 1040 as well.

I also had to explain to them how to read the official IRS transcript, that although the rollover was listed it was NOT added as income and was not included in the AGI.

I was telling my friend about this, she works in a CPA office, and she said she had a call this week about the same thing. The husband rolled over an IRA for $900,000, and their EFC was huge! The DRT listed it as income! She told the client to call the college and explain that it needs to be removed from the FAFSA.

If you don’t understand things, and apparently many of the colleges financial aid departments don’t either, it can have a huge negative impact.

It's probably late, but you can request a transcript from IRS right off their website. I had it in 2 minutes.

Also, it may not apply to many here, but it did for us. I had an IRA rollover, and when using the DRT, the IRS transfers this number to the FAFSA as a distribution. It increases the EFC. It clearly states on the FAFSA that if this is a rollover it needs to be manually adjusted.

The college FA departments do not consider this and every single college DS applied to kept changing our FAFSA.

I had to call every single college and explain this to them, plus provide a copy of our 1040 as well.

I also had to explain to them how to read the official IRS transcript, that although the rollover was listed it was NOT added as income and was not included in the AGI.

I was telling my friend about this, she works in a CPA office, and she said she had a call this week about the same thing. The husband rolled over an IRA for $900,000, and their EFC was huge! The DRT listed it as income! She told the client to call the college and explain that it needs to be removed from the FAFSA.

If you don’t understand things, and apparently many of the colleges financial aid departments don’t either, it can have a huge negative impact.
Our EFC is huge, due to investments we have. Our yearly EFC is more than triple the cost of a year's tuition at the state school DS is considering. In-freakin-sane.

DS's announcements and cap/gown came earlier this week and once he finishes them this weekend, they should be mailed out on Monday. Plan are being finalized for his party and we went on another college tour last week to a very large state school, the very opposite of what DS had been considering up to this point. Now he's leaning towards the state school instead of the small liberal arts college he had been leaning towards. He has about a week to make up his mind.

He has a well-paying summer job lined up and we're speeding toward the finish line of his senior year. Having 4 baseball games a week keeps all of us busy. :)

Due to some huge scholarships, DS was down to 2 schools. One is about 2 ½ hours away, and the other is 14+ hour drive!

He has chosen the southern college and it is an incredible opportunity, but I worry about the distance & the size, but no matter where he went it would be an adjustment.

I had a conversation with him yesterday about this being crunch time, he really needs to be comfortable w/ his choice while still having a little time to change his mind.

I think I have been far more stressed than he has. Second kid in college, but first one to move away. :sad:

Our announcements came last week, the name inserts came this week. We are getting them ready to mail now. DS went to "Days on the Lawn", accepted students day, at UVA this past Monday. It solidified his choice. We are sending the deposit in this weekend and starting the roommate search.

Senior Prom was last night...it is really starting to feel like the end. DH asked me to fill out a summer calendar with all our commitments listed. When I wrote down the college move in dates in August, I got a little teary. And his college is only an hour and 15 minutes from home!

We're sending out DS's graduation announcements this week, prom is next week and graduation day is May 16th! I can't believe that he has less than a month of high school left. He has already picked out his dorm room for next year and on June 3-4 he will be at UI for orientation and registering for next year's classes. As if that weren't enough, he and his buddies have rented a condo in Floriday for the week after graduation -- my baby isn't a baby anymore!

Ds has decided on his school. His first choice, they offered the most scholarship $, looks like we'll be out if pocket under $4000 per year. Not too bad. He's accepted into an early entry pre pharmacy program, which if he maintains the requirements the first four years, he's guaranteed a spot for the last 3 years.

He'll be a five hour drive away. So we probably won't see him too much. Sad, sad, sad. But many of his high school classmates have chosen that college, too.
He thinks he's#2 in his class. Didn't have the desire to push for #1, though he could have. Grades are now locked in and the decision is made, they'll announce it next Thursday at senior awards.

Prom was a few weeks ago. He wasn't interested in going. So he didn't. Waiting on announcements, invitations to come in. Should be soon as graduation is less than a month away.

He and dh will attend a 2 day honors college orientation at his school in May a couple of days before graduation.

I've put my emotions in check for now. Otherwise, I'd be a basket case from now until October.

It's kind of nice to be too busy to think about him moving so far away.

Well, I thought we were done since my boy had sent in his deposit and we had our finalized financial aid package, and then last week, a pretty, heavy envelope came in the mail from the Financial Aid office. Turns out he was selected for an additional 10 grand outside scholarship by some foundation that "pays it forward"! He didn't apply, this was just an additional award by the college! I almost fainted out of excitement because we had such a bear of the verification process since we couldn't use the IRS retrieval tool.

Now, we are on the 2 week countdown for classes to be over, and then it's a week off before graduation on May 19th. My kid has absolutely hated his whole high school experience so we are all about to pee on ourselves with excitement :thumbsup2

Great NEWS jt's mom!!!!

My dd is filling out her grad announcements this week. We are having a family party on Sunday May 17th and her graduation is Monday May 18th at 7Pm.

16 days left of school here!

I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I could not get the IRS transcript retrieval to produce a transcript online for the life of me...I did request it to be sent to me and got it in about 1 week - 10 days so it's all good.

DD was deciding between a state school here in MA and a private in CT for her major...we were scheduled to go to the private school for Accepted Students Day several weeks back and the night before we were set to go down there, she backed out. She was super stressed about the cost of the school and decided it wouldn't be a good idea for her to take on so much student loan debt.

She decided to go to the state school which is much more reasonably priced and she will only take on a fraction of loans compared to the private school. I am proud her of smart decision, but at the same time, I am sad that we couldn't provide her with the money to go to the private...it was her top pick and a beautiful school, I wanted her to go there but couldn't justify the cost....mother's guilt I guess :(

She met a girl on the school's Facebook page and I think they are going to room together...DD likened finding a roommate to online dating and thinks the whole process is super stressful lol!

School doesn't end for DD until 5/20 and graduation on 6/6, we'll have a graduation party for her on 6/13...nothing too big mostly family and some of her friends. I'm sure the next month or so is going to fly by!

She decided to go to the state school which is much more reasonably priced and she will only take on a fraction of loans compared to the private school. I am proud her of smart decision, but at the same time, I am sad that we couldn't provide her with the money to go to the private...it was her top pick and a beautiful school, I wanted her to go there but couldn't justify the cost....mother's guilt I guess :(

I am right there with you. DS is going much farther away then he wanted, but it came down to finances. It is a great opportunity, but I wish we could have made some other college with an equally great program work for him
We are in PA, and Penn State and Pitt are horrendous with aid, at least in our case. The other state schools don’t have engineering.

She met a girl on the school's Facebook page and I think they are going to room together...DD likened finding a roommate to online dating and thinks the whole process is super stressful lol!

Oh, isn’t it though! DS doesn’t know a single sole and though they can search for roommates on the U’s dorm application, they have to request them and then wait for a response. Then it’s up to them to connect via Facebook, or email. Not something the guys seem too keen on doing. :)
I told him worse case, he picks a dorm and hopes for the best with the roommates.

Oh boy, after reading all the post, I feel so behind on the college front. Have got to light a fire under DS to get him moving! One good thing, booked a Disney Cruise for his Graduation gift!

Just called the AP testing office. We noticed the check has not been cashed so...I called just in case. I am hoping that they have just not cashed them yet but at this point you can't stand on hope at the last minute...:scared:

Well parents today is May 1st and marks the last few days of school for dd, 10 and counting. Things are rolling along.

DD is studying her butt off for AP testing. (And yes it was all good with the check, they have not cashed it yet....grrr)

Next week is AP Lit and the following week is AP MicroEcon, MacroEcon, and Stat. If she makes a 3 and up on the Stat she will get college credit and will not have to take it in college. Not sure about the others. She has it figured out. Potential to have her go in with 27 credits for college. YEA!!! She wants to double major in English and Communications with a minor in Film Studies which will help tremendously with that goal.

I have a few more medical appts. to make for dd before she goes off to school. An ortho appt. and a physical to get her shots.

We are going to be BUSY! We are selling our house on top of this. Not putting the house on the market until June though.

Her grad gift is a laptop which was supposed to be a SURPRISE however she was home the day it came by mail and she signed for it. :headache: OH well. She will have to act surprised at the party.

Last edited:
Well, DS has paid his student confirmation deposit and filled out and submitted his housing contract for next Fall. Next up are placement tests and registration, then New Student Orientation this summer. :guilty:

I just have to share because I know everyone on here is going through the same thing, but tonight it hit me that my son only has 5 more days of high school left. He's my one and only, so this is it. I'm so excited, but on the flip side I'm wondering what on earth I'm going to do now that I don't have to get up every morning and peek to see if his light is on since his phone alarm seems to only work part of the time! It is so strange to think that in 3 1/2 months he will be 1200 miles away and shaping his new, independent life and his dad and I will be a "couple" again with no kids at home. That is really something, and I don't know if I should be sad, happy, or a little sad that I'm a little happy and excited :goodvibes

LOL, jt's mom.

This is my last one and frankly I am tired. I will miss her of course but I am ready for dh and I to be a "couple" again without any kids. We still have the dogs though, ha! So not quite that "free".

LOL, jt's mom.

This is my last one and frankly I am tired. I will miss her of course but I am ready for dh and I to be a "couple" again without any kids. We still have the dogs though, ha! So not quite that "free".

I think you hit the nail on the head for me, because I feel like I'm a bad parent for being excited for the new freedom for myself, lol! I've gotten up and made pancakes or waffles and bacon for my kid every school morning for the last 2 years, so when he walks out of the house next Friday morning for the last time, I'm literally throwing that waffle iron down the trash chute!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter