Hicks on Holiday 2 - Done brung the Kinfolk, Part 2, update 8/18/09, p.4 FINISHED!

DD and I spent the day at Magic Kingdom when DS was being annoying. We met the Fairies after a long long wait. Did you guys stay in the 50's room? We did in May but when we go in December we are staying in preferred. I think we may get an ADR at Rose and Crown. Not sure yet :) Can't wait to read more.

We did stay in the 50s. I love it there.

We will be at All Star Sports this time, due to a change in trip dates. I'll explain more about that in my pre-trip report when I start it.

Definately try the Rose and Crown. We really liked it. Dh said we HAD to go again this time.
Thanks for reading!

Rose and Crown is one of those places I've wanted to try. I think we might for our Epcot night in 2010. It depends on how exciting the menu is - we have a very large group, and some very non-adventurous diners. :rotfl2: Glad to hear it worked well for you!

We might stay at Pop on our first night (pre-package) in 2010 since we're driving. We'd like to get there early enough on Saturday (package will start Sunday) to enjoy the resort and veg after the long drive. I know you drive from MI - we'll be coming from the south side of Indy. The estimate I got via the AAA driving website was 19 hours (driving only, of course). Does that sound about right to you?

Rose and Crown is one of those places I've wanted to try. I think we might for our Epcot night in 2010. It depends on how exciting the menu is - we have a very large group, and some very non-adventurous diners. :rotfl2: Glad to hear it worked well for you!

We might stay at Pop on our first night (pre-package) in 2010 since we're driving. We'd like to get there early enough on Saturday (package will start Sunday) to enjoy the resort and veg after the long drive. I know you drive from MI - we'll be coming from the south side of Indy. The estimate I got via the AAA driving website was 19 hours (driving only, of course). Does that sound about right to you?

Actually, that sounds long. I think it says 18 for us, and we figure at least 22. Is it taking you down 65 to 24 to 75, etc? That's the best way.
You are probably3-3.5 from us, right? (MI border)

If you need a place to stop, I highly recommend some hotels in Chattanooga, though I know that's not very far for you. We always stop there.

Anyway, R & C isn't too adventurous, if you like fish and chips or steak, they have that.

Sarah, how could anyone think that you are NOT persistent? Especially with 5, that you claim, although some of us know that you have more stashed away? :rotfl: Some might think you are striving for perfection but having met your oldest daughter I know that you achieved that the first time out of the bat and are just on a winning streak.:love:

My grandkids just love the Lego store as do I. My favorite part is getting a cold one from the next door McD and sitting while they play.:goodvibes

I booked another week on our trip, thanks to FD. We will be at Music (hoping to get back into Sports though) from November 29th thru December 13th. How I would love to have some children to tour the lights with. They are always brighter through the eyes of a child.

FairyGodmotherJen, I live just south of you and it takes me about 16 hours of driving to get to DW. I usually drive past Atlanta (about halfway) to about 700 miles the first day and then get up early and get to the resort a bit after noon, unpack and then head out for the monorail tour and EWP and Wishes from the Poly beach. This year I am taking it easy and only driving before Atlanta since it would put me going through on Sunday, an easy day and resting that first night. If you are using the GPS just remember that when you get on the Turnpike you want to take the back way into DW to save going out on 1-4 etc. If you are staying Value or Moderate it will put you nearly at your resort. Have a safe and wonderful trip!

Slightly Goofy

Sarah, how could anyone think that you are NOT persistent? Especially with 5, that you claim, although some of us know that you have more stashed away? :rotfl: Some might think you are striving for perfection but having met your oldest daughter I know that you achieved that the first time out of the bat and are just on a winning streak.:love:

My grandkids just love the Lego store as do I. My favorite part is getting a cold one from the next door McD and sitting while they play.:goodvibes

I booked another week on our trip, thanks to FD. We will be at Music (hoping to get back into Sports though) from November 29th thru December 13th. How I would love to have some children to tour the lights with. They are always brighter through the eyes of a child.

FairyGodmotherJen, I live just south of you and it takes me about 16 hours of driving to get to DW. I usually drive past Atlanta (about halfway) to about 700 miles the first day and then get up early and get to the resort a bit after noon, unpack and then head out for the monorail tour and EWP and Wishes from the Poly beach. This year I am taking it easy and only driving before Atlanta since it would put me going through on Sunday, an easy day and resting that first night. If you are using the GPS just remember that when you get on the Turnpike you want to take the back way into DW to save going out on 1-4 etc. If you are staying Value or Moderate it will put you nearly at your resort. Have a safe and wonderful trip!

Slightly Goofy

Actually, that sounds long. I think it says 18 for us, and we figure at least 22. Is it taking you down 65 to 24 to 75, etc? That's the best way.
You are probably3-3.5 from us, right? (MI border)

If you need a place to stop, I highly recommend some hotels in Chattanooga, though I know that's not very far for you. We always stop there.

Anyway, R & C isn't too adventurous, if you like fish and chips or steak, they have that.

Thank you, thank you, thank you both for making me feel a little better!! We're actually debating several different scenerios, but it's good to know that 19 hours is a pretty high-end estimate. It might only be a few hours, but that will make a lot of difference. I don't know if my kids can do 700 miles in one go, though - we would probably do drive-through for breakfast and a longer picnic lunch at a rest stop. But we'll see. We were actually thinking about taking off once DH got home from work on Thurs. and just getting three hours or so under our belts that night, stay at a hotel and get up and going quickly on Friday, and then finish it out on Saturday (we really would like to do something that day...Wishes from the beach sounds great. :cool1: We won't have tickets, but between that and DTD I think we'll be ok. I guess we still have time to plan! Thanks again (and I'm really not trying to hijack your TR!!)

FairyGodmotherJen, I am sorry, I saw the Indy Meet thing (I was at one once) and just assumed Indianapolis for some odd reason. Yes, you are much further away than I. I am in the Columbus area. Have you driven on a long trip with the children before? If my memory serves me right, it has been many years for me, I used to pack the car ready to go for when my hubby got off work and we would take off. Stopping and going INTO a restaurant gave everyone a chance to stretch their legs a bit and change the mood, along with a few diapers. It was a lot easier for us to make time while they slept but that was before in car dvd players. I love books on tape also. Keeps me alert for driving.

The Poly beach thing is a very relaxing way to spend your first night and you can pick up some food at Capt Cooks to take to the beach while you wait.

SG

Thanks for the good wishes Linda! :wizard:

FGJ - I think you are thinking out your trip very well. If you map things out and find yourself in Chattanooga at bedtime, I highly recommend this hotel:

good hotel in Chattanooga

It is right on 24, almost to I-75.

Thanks for continuing to read. Only one day of this trip left to report, then I'm off to do a pre-trip.

Thanks for the good wishes Linda! :wizard:

FGJ - I think you are thinking out your trip very well. If you map things out and find yourself in Chattanooga at bedtime, I highly recommend this hotel:

good hotel in Chattanooga

It is right on 24, almost to I-75.

Thanks for continuing to read. Only one day of this trip left to report, then I'm off to do a pre-trip.

Thanks - I've bookmarked it! I don't know where we'll stop, but it's worth having it marked as a possibility.

Just dropping by to say good night to a family of great kids!:love:

Slightly Goofy

The last day at Disney for 2007. SNIFF.
Sept. 26, 2007
Magic Kingdom

We have come to a crucial point in this two year, ongoing trip report!!!
I have to finish…because we leave in TEN DAYS!
Anywhoooo…this is the last day of the trip, so here goes….
When we last left the Hicks, they were preparing for their last day at WDW.
And where is the best place to spend your last day???
Magic Kingdom, of course!

Entering MK

IM000305.jpg

"We're walking right down the middle of Main St. USA..."

IM000306.jpg

IM000308.jpg

Bitsy

IM000305a.jpg

IM000308a.jpg

I belive we took a few rides on Buzz Lightyear, possible Space mtn. again, and then...
We decided to take another spin on the TTA, one of our favs.

View from the TTA

IM000312.jpg

IM000380a.jpg

While we were, I think, using the bathroom,
Danger Boy and the Chef went to visit Brer Bear, and Brer Fox,
who they now recognized due to our first ride on Splash Mtn.

Brer Bear and Brer Fox

IMG_0576.jpg

We then had lunch at Crystal Palace.
We’ve eaten here for all three meals, and have liked them all!
[Though the puffed French toast at breakfast is still MY favorite!]

Outside Crystal Palace

[Interesting details on a lamp post]

IM000383.jpg

The Castle from Crystal Palace

IMG_0577.jpg

At Crystal Palace

Is that Pooh???

IMG_0578-1.jpg

All in a good mood

IMG_0579.jpg

Mom even still likes us! :thumbsup2

IMG_0580.jpg

Meet and Greet Piglet

IMG_0581.jpg

Meet and Greet Eeyore

[Eyeore is my favorite, but he was really, really sweaty!!! UGH.]

IMG_0582-2.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

Meet and Greet Pooh

IMG_0584.jpg

[More next post...]

Magic Kingdom cont.

***I was just reminded that at some point before lunch,
we decided to ride Small World again,
Mom's favorite,
and as we were heading there, we paused by Peter Pan to see the wait time.
Since it was too long, we continued on our way...
all of us, except Princess K,
who was officially LOST!!!

She remembered to stay in one spot, though,
and a mom asked her if she was lost,
and summoned a Cast Member.

K was able to tell her own name and age, who she was with,
what they were wearing, and where they were heading,
and the Cast Member saw us there, and brought her over.

We thought that was pretty good for a four year old!

It wasn't scary for us, because we didn't know she was lost! :rolleyes:
But K had a good cry.
The Cast Member allowed her to pick a pin off her lanyard, and, because she was looking longingly also, allowed Bitsy to pick one too.

[I've been reviewing WDW safety with them this week,
and told them getting lost just to get another pin is NOT happening. LOL]***

After Crystal Palace, we found ourselves in Adventureland.

Over by Aloha Isle (the Dole Whip place), we found these cave drawings carved near a bench.
My kids call it “Curtis was here,” a nod to their now cancelled favorite show, Phil of the Future, which featured Curtis, the caveman.

Curtis (found this pic on Google)

normal_Curtis%20the%20Caveman.jpg

Curtis was here:

IM000386-1.jpg

Dangerboy decided he wanted to see the Swiss Family Tree,
so John took him.
While we were waiting, we heard a rumor that Jack Sparrow was in port next to the Aloha Isle.
We decided to check it out.
I don't think this meet and greet still exists, but it was really cool.
There was all kinds of pirate stuff in the waiting area,
then you were ushered back in small groups to a curtained off room,
where Jack was in residence.

Meet and Greet Jack Sparrow

image88.jpg

image90-1.jpg

image91-1.jpg

Jack telling DisneyGirl to stay where he can see her, because he didn’t trust her:

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

As we were leaving, I said "Thanks, Jack. Oh, excuse me...CAPTAIN JACK!"
And as the door was closing, the Inquisitor pipes up:
"We call the MONKEY Jack!"

:lmao:

We met up with John, and headed to Frontierland.
Princess K decided she was big and brave enough to ride Big Thunder Mtn.,
but when we got there it was closed due to an unknown reason. Hmmmmm...

So, John and the big kids decided to go on Splash Mtn. again.
So the rest of us hung out at the Splash Mtn. play area, which rocks, because it’s covered!

Playing at the Splash Mountain play area

IMG_0588.jpg

We then made another trip to the Christmas Shoppe,
which was ill timed, because Mom bought ornaments for all of her 11 grandchildren,
and had to haul them around all day since we were leaving the next day and
couldn’t ship them to the resort.

Word to the wise…buy ornaments early in the week. :sad2:

Ye Old Christmas Shoppe

IM000314.jpg

IM000315.jpg

After this we rode Pirates of C, and made mom hide her ornaments in the parked stroller,
because we wouldn't let her haul them on the ride.

Then, it was time to head home.

"Marching down the Main Street, heading for the exit, everybody’s going there, la-la-la-la-la. "

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0594-1.jpg

IMG_0598-2.jpg

IM000393.jpg

Princess K's new friend:

IMG_0599.jpg

We spent a little time in the Exhibition hall…because we HAD time to do it.
It's so cold and quiet in there.
We've actually seen people taking a nap in there! LOL

Being in a movie

IM000399.jpg

IM000400.jpg

IM000401.jpg

As we prepared to leave, I looked around me, gave a big sigh,
and realized that my big, luxurious, long vacation dream had come true…
there was not ONE single thing that I still wanted to do at WDW.
We had seen and done everything on our list.

Mission complete, we headed back to the hotel, to pack up, and prepare for our trip back to Michigan.

So that's it. Finished in time to start a pre-trip for TEN DAYS FROM NOW!!!

Our other big news?

We're expecting baby #8 in January. :cloud9:

We'll have an ultrasound the day after returning from WDW,
so we won't be buying blue or pink ears while there,
but we're very excited! :banana:

Off to start a pre-trip. I'll post the link here, and in my siggy when I get it started.

Thanks all for being faithful readers!

Hooray for you, Sarah! Another little Disney fan, awww!

And hooray for finishing the trip report before the two year mark...:rotfl2:

Great TR - it doesn't matter how long it took you. ;)

Congrats on the big news!! You are a stronger woman than I am...:rotfl2:

Heading over to the PTR....

What wonderful news! The only thing better than knowing a child is coming into this world is to know that it is coming to a loving family who will care for it well. I am the oldest of 8 so I think 8 is a pretty good number. :love:

How do you keep your children so unspoiled and enjoying the little things that make life worth living? However, you do a great job. :wizard:

My youngest sister (nearly 40) is having bariatric surgery and I have promised her a sisters only trip to DW, what else? She went when she was in high school and seems to love the place nearly as much as I do. :thumbsup2

Also, another one of my grandchildren has escaped from their situation. I am in hope that they will learn that they have grandparents who love them and will show up on my doorstep one of these fine days.

Until then I will just enjoy pictures and stories of happy, healthy children and dream of future trips when we might meet again.

I do not blame Captain Jack for keeping an eye on your dd. Sweet innocent looking folks are always the most dangerous. :rotfl:

SG/Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter