Hi all! I have a quick recipe question..

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by C.Ann, Mar 22, 2011.

1. C.Ann

C.Ann <font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font

Earlier today I was copying over a recipe for "Stuffed Chocolate French Toast OOOlala" and I came across something I've never done before..

In the recipe you are instructed to "cut a pocket" in each slice of the 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick slices of French bread - which is where I am supposed to put the heaping teaspoon of filling..

I've never done anything like this before so...... Can someone explain "where" and "how" I cut this pocket where the stuffing goes?

TIA..:goodvibes

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. JohnsonsLoveDisney

JohnsonsLoveDisney DIS Veteran

I would say you would just cut a little into the middle of the bread and make a little flap or pocket. Kind of like slicing a french loaf down the middle but not going all the way through.

Clear as Mud?:thumbsup2

4. C.Ann

That's kind of what I was thinking too.. If no one else pops in with a "tried and ture" method, I guess I'll just give that a try..

Thanks! :goodvibes

5. greeneeyes

greeneeyes Mouseketeer

Lay the slice of bread flat on a board and with a sharp knife slice through the side (crust), leaving a small margin on the top and bottom; cut almost through to the other side. This makes a pocket to stuff and the slice looks normal from the top. Use this same method to make pockets in meats to stuff.

6. dngnb8

dngnb8 Disneyphile

This is correct. However, make sure the slice of bread is thick enough to support the pocket. Most presliced breads arent thick enough for this.

7. C.Ann

Yes, I believe I have heard of this method before - which I believe is the "proper" way to do it.. The only issue beyond that is trying not to cut a few fingers off in the process - LOL..;)

Thanks!

8. dngnb8

dngnb8 Disneyphile

This is going to sound funny, but more knife accidents happen because of a dull blade. If your blade is sharp, there is less chance of a cutting accident.