Here's what a little PIXIE DUST can do ....... a dining review+pics COMPLETED!!!!!

still day 10, Aug 24

Dinner at Palo

I had read so much about Palo - we HAD TO try it for ourselves. Now, what IS Palo? - It is the adults only, high end restaurant on the Disney Wonder - think California Grill, without all the noise and even a notch above California Grill!

So we got dressed up for the occasion, signed in and asked if Michele, the CM we had met at the lifeboat drill was working and if we could be seated in his area. Sure! A minute later we were seated and Michele was on hand to greet us. He brought out water for everyone and told us about the adult beverages and left us a menu to have a look at.

Michele let us just enough time to look through the drinks menu when he returned with the antipasti.

IMG_2715.jpg

Pane Casalingo - Freshly-baked Bread from their Pizza Oven, served with Palo's Famous Dips. Grissini Sticks, Olive Rolls, Ciabatta Rolls and Six Grain Wholemeal. All the breads were still warm and SO good. But that was not the end of it. This is what he put on the table next!

IMG_2693.jpg

A whole plate full of the best meats, olives and cheeses one can nibble on. Specialita' Del Palo: Antipasto Freddo - Prosciutto, Bresaola, Parmesan Reggiano, Marinated Olives - heaven. But it didn't even stop there :lmao: there was even more!

IMG_2694.jpg

Three different spreads!

IMG_2695.jpg

Aioli - garlic mayonnaise spread - so garlicy, so yummy!

IMG_2696.jpg

Dried sunripened tomato and red pepper spread! Oh boy! Yummy goodness!

IMG_2697.jpg

Tapanade! Olive spread - I could have happily lived on the antipasti and would not have regretted dining at Palo! It was just so good.

Well, once he brought the antipasti Michele took our drinks orders. Joe had unsweetened ice tea, Mary Ellen had a lemonade (I think) and Tom and I ordered Diet Cokes and some adult beverages.

IMG_2712.jpg

My drink - a Strawberry Daiquiri! I just love the taste of this!

IMG_2713.jpg

Tom had a Whisky Sour!

IMG_2714.jpg

And Mary Ellen had a Mai Tai!

When the drinks arrived we had had enough time to study the menu and I was all set! Well, that was until Michele told us about that day's Chef's specials! He was very convincing and his Italian accent helped a lot! :rotfl:
So here are our starter choices!

IMG_2716.jpg

Joe had the Mozzarella and Plum Tomatoes with Balsamic Dressing
Their modern interpretation of a traditional dish. He LOVED it! It must have been good!

IMG_2717.jpg

Tom ordered the Fritto di Calamari Lightly-crusted Calamari served with Marinara sauce made with deep fried cherry peppers. I tried this and the calamari were ever so tender, coated in an icredibly crisp batter. The sauce was out of this world!

IMG_2718.jpg

Mary Ellen and I went with Michele's recommandation - Grilled shrimp that had been marinaded in spices and then grilled, served with green asparagus and pesto. There are NO words to describe this - the plumpest, juiciest and heavenly spiced shrimp, with crisp asparagus! I could kill for a plate of this goodness right now!

The different courses were nicely spaced so we had time to really enjoy them.
Once we had finished the appetizers, out came the palate cleanser!

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

Lime sorbet - slightly sour and lemony sorbet! So good!

A little later out came the main courses!

IMG_2722.jpg

Tom had taken Michele's advice and gone for the Osso Bucco. A thick slice of Veal Shank, slowly cooked in red wine and vegetables, sitting on a bed of saffron risotto! The meat actually fell off the bone and the risotto was cooked right to the point. Wonderful dish.

IMG_2723.jpg

Joe had the Bigoli all Contadina, with thin Strips of Prime Rib Sautéed with Tomato, Onion and Pancetta in a Ragu flavored with fresh Oregano. He cleaned his plate, so it must have been good.

IMG_2724.jpg

Mary Ellen decided on Risotto di Mare, Saffron Risotto served with Fried Zucchini, Shrimp, Mussel and Clams. There were no complaints about this dish either.

Well, remember that I said I had my dinner all decided on? I threw my main course plans over board and followed Michele's recommandation for the main course as well. :thumbsup2

IMG_2725.jpg

Pan Seared Grouper with risotto, red pepper puree and fried onions! This was not on the menu either (neither were the shrimp I had as an appetizer), but it was to die for! Disneyliscious!! is all I can say!

We were SO stuffed after our main courses, but Michele "insisted" on us having dessert and not just any dessert!

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

Palo's famous Chocolate Soufflé with Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Sauce and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Now this time it was real souffle! Michele stuck his spoon in and it started to go down as he poured the sauce of your choice! Boy was this a heavenly dessert. We struggled, but we managed to eat it all. No way was I going to leave a crumb or drop of this behind. Goodness on a spoon!

Tom and I had an espresso and Mary Ellen and Joe had regular coffee.

IMG_2732.jpg

There was even a digestive - lemoncello with lemon sorbet! So cold, so lemony, so good!

So, if you cruise on a Disney ship and you like fine dining - Palo is a MUST!!! Now, imagine this. When we were done with our dinner Michele came back to say his goodbyes and asked if we wanted to come back another night. You can only book ONE Palo dinner online, so we jumped on it. We asked if he could get us in on the day after next and he managed to do so! We were in heaven!
We all went to our cabins and sat out on the balcony for a while and then Tom and I went on another Fish extender round before we went to bed.

Next up - roomservice breakfast

Ooooh...the food at Palo looks wonderful. I am drooling all over my keyboard right now. :worship:

WOW
Great review and pictures of Palo. I agree with Kat I am drooling all over my keyboard. Cant wait to see your reviews of your second time there. :goodvibes

Ooooh...the food at Palo looks wonderful. I am drooling all over my keyboard right now. :worship:

Oh Kathy, there is A LOT more of Palo to come! I would love to move in there - the food is just too good!

WOW
Great review and pictures of Palo. I agree with Kat I am drooling all over my keyboard. Cant wait to see your reviews of your second time there. :goodvibes

We actually had two more visits to Palo on that trip (4 night :rotfl2:). Everything about that restaurant was heavenly - the restaurant itself, the food and Michele! :lmao: Well, all the CMs up there were top notch and so much fun!

All of your pictures are amazing!! :thumbsup2 Loving your review and the details you include!! :banana:

I am so glad you like it - I am trying my best, it just sometimes isn't easy doing it in a foreign language! ;)

Day 11, Aug 25

Castaway Cay day!

Roomservice Breakfast

Today was our day at Castaway Cay! We did not want to miss a minute of it and go ashore as soon as possible, so we ordered room service breakfast the night before.

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

Okay, it was nothing out of the ordinary, but since we ate it, it belongs here! :rotfl:

IMG_2743.jpg

Coffee and hot water for my tea

IMG_2739.jpg

Tea selection

IMG_2738.jpg

Milk and cream cheese for the bagel

IMG_2740.jpg

Bagel - there were a croissant and a muffin underneath

IMG_2741.jpg

Fruit bowl - this was amazingly fresh!

IMG_2742.jpg

Orange Juice

Be warned - if you order something for 8am - they WILL deliver it at 8am!!! SHARP!:lmao:

Once we had eaten our breakfast we knocked at Mary Ellen's door, but they did not hear us, so we were heading off the ship to explore Disney's private island!

IMG_2777.jpg

Next up - drinks and lunch at Castaway Cay

I'VE GOT NEWS!!!!!!

Okay, here I am hijacking my own thread!! :lmao:

But this news is too good NOT to share with all my Dis - friends!

Tom and I have just decided to take a weeklong WDW vacation in February!! :woohoo:

We had to cut our Paris vacation short by a day and we played with the idea of going to WDW instead. The more we thought about it, the more we wanted to go to WDW and in the end we decided to just go for it.

:cheer2: So, we are now booked at Pop Century resort from February 13th until the 20th!! :cheer2:
No dining plan this time, since we always wanted to do some non DDP restaurants and here is what we came up with so far!

Wanna do:
BlueZoo
Il Mulino
Fultons

WPE (yeah, you know me - I CANNOT go to Disney without having my WPE food!)

So, here is my plea for ya! Where else should we eat? My booking window opens Oct 27:scared1:, (the very day everyone on these boards is going to make their reservations as it is supposed to go back to 180 days!!). We are thinking of doing quite some CS as we will only have a week!

Any extra special CS out there? ;)

Thanks for any input! :goodvibes

First of all, YAY for you guys, that is fantastic!

Now you know you picked three of my favorite restaurants right, OH BOY they are knock your socks off fantastic!

Now if it were us we would add in Jiko, Citrico's, Cali Grill and Flying Fish and the reason I say all signature restaurants is because the quality of the food at the other TS places is not the greatest and the price is high! When I think of what a lousy meal we had at Chefs de France and for $20-30 more we could have gone back to Flying Fish or BlueZoo it kills me!

We would eat CS breakfast and lunch although the parks are not the greatest for CS lunch

Some of our faves are

Beirgarten
Tutto Italia
Chefs de France but for lunch only
50's Prime Time
Sci Fi
ESPN
Beaches and Cream
Kona breakfast
Cape May breakfast and dinner
Crystal Palace breakfast
The Wave..ooh go here!
Tonys
The Plaza

So you can take your pick of any of these, :laughing:

Great report, it makes me want to try one of the cruises. I see Nicki beat me to the suggestions but my would have been the same.

Also, if you need a fridge at POP let me know, your week is open in the fridge swap I organize.

First of all, YAY for you guys, that is fantastic!

Now you know you picked three of my favorite restaurants right, OH BOY they are knock your socks off fantastic!

Now if it were us we would add in Jiko, Citrico's, Cali Grill and Flying Fish and the reason I say all signature restaurants is because the quality of the food at the other TS places is not the greatest and the price is high! When I think of what a lousy meal we had at Chefs de France and for $20-30 more we could have gone back to Flying Fish or BlueZoo it kills me!

We would eat CS breakfast and lunch although the parks are not the greatest for CS lunch

Some of our faves are

Beirgarten
Tutto Italia
Chefs de France but for lunch only
50's Prime Time
Sci Fi
ESPN
Beaches and Cream
Kona breakfast
Cape May breakfast and dinner
Crystal Palace breakfast
The Wave..ooh go here!
Tonys
The Plaza

So you can take your pick of any of these, :laughing:

Hey, that was quick!! Guess what I picked Il Mulino, Fulton's and BlueZoo because of YOUR reviews!!

There is ONE simple reason there are no signature restaurants on our list - we are getting 20 days of free dining in August/September and I am upgrading part of it to Deluxe Dining, :worship:! So I have figured out that we would go ALL signature then and just play it low key this time.
But Plaza, The Wave, Beaches and Cream sound terrific. The only one on your list that I absolutely do not like is Biergarten - guess we live to close to the real thing, :rotfl:

I think we will just eat CS at some of the resorts! I so wanna try Captain Cook's and we never actually made it there. We had a fun lunch at Artist's Palatte and I wanna go back to Cookes of Dublin. Guess this next weekend is planning, planning, planning! Thank god, Monday is a national holiday here - one more day to plan! :cloud9:

Great report, it makes me want to try one of the cruises. I see Nicki beat me to the suggestions but my would have been the same.

Also, if you need a fridge at POP let me know, your week is open in the fridge swap I organize.

Thanks for joining in! You NEED to try one of the cruises! They are fantastic - we really loved it SO much, we are already booked on a 3 night and a 4 night, back to back cruise next summer! :thumbsup2

As for that fridge swap - I am now going over to your site to check it out! Thanks for offering it!! :flower3:

Thanks for joining in! You NEED to try one of the cruises! They are fantastic - we really loved it SO much, we are already booked on a 3 night and a 4 night, back to back cruise next summer! :thumbsup2

As for that fridge swap - I am now going over to your site to check it out! Thanks for offering it!! :flower3:

thanks, my DH and I went on a carnival cruise about 20 years ago and haven't tried it ago since. our kids have been asking to go on Disney cruise so maybe our trip in 2012 will be cruise and WDW.

I got your PM about the swap, just let me know.

popcorn::
I am anxiously awaiting your next installment! I do need to make sure I've eaten though the next time I sign on. I'm hungry again!! You sure know how to do a vacation right!

Hey, that was quick!! Guess what I picked Il Mulino, Fulton's and BlueZoo because of YOUR reviews!!

There is ONE simple reason there are no signature restaurants on our list - we are getting 20 days of free dining in August/September and I am upgrading part of it to Deluxe Dining, :worship:! So I have figured out that we would go ALL signature then and just play it low key this time.
But Plaza, The Wave, Beaches and Cream sound terrific. The only one on your list that I absolutely do not like is Biergarten - guess we live to close to the real thing, :rotfl:

I think we will just eat CS at some of the resorts! I so wanna try Captain Cook's and we never actually made it there. We had a fun lunch at Artist's Palatte and I wanna go back to Cookes of Dublin. Guess this next weekend is planning, planning, planning! Thank god, Monday is a national holiday here - one more day to plan! :cloud9:

Well, you've already got Fulton's which Nic & I agree on as being superb. I also agree with her on Sci Fi (lunch, not dinner), Crystal Palace for breakfast and Cape May Cafe for either meal.

Lucky you!!! :)

I am anxiously awaiting your next installment! I do need to make sure I've eaten though the next time I sign on. I'm hungry again!! You sure know how to do a vacation right!

Dave, I have a friend who has family in Adamsville, TN (they own a farm). Any where near you?

thanks, my DH and I went on a carnival cruise about 20 years ago and haven't tried it ago since. our kids have been asking to go on Disney cruise so maybe our trip in 2012 will be cruise and WDW.

I got your PM about the swap, just let me know.

:thumbsup2 on your plans for your 2012 WDW/cruise vacation!!

Thanks for inviting us to the swap! :cloud9:

Next few installments coming up over the weekend! I suggest you do NOT read them hungry as there are TWO more Palo reviews coming up! ;)

Well, you've already got Fulton's which Nic & I agree on as being superb. I also agree with her on Sci Fi (lunch, not dinner), Crystal Palace for breakfast and Cape May Cafe for either meal.
Lucky you!!! :)

I am so looking forward to the long holiday weekend (Oct 26 is Austria's national holiday) so I can actually plan that vacation! :cloud9:
We will definitely try for Fulton's, BlueZoo and Il Mulino. Tom and I are throwing around a few other options and I guess we'll do a few more lunches and fill the rest with CS and/or offsite dining!

So much to eat - so little time!! :rotfl2:

Still day 11, Aug 25

A day at Castaway Cay!
Serenity Bay - drinks and lunch

22.jpg

So, here we were - setting foot onto Disney's Private Island. Just let me say, it is BEAUTIFUL!

Since Tom and I got off the Wonder early it was not too blazing hot for us to explore the island. We checked out the Family Beach, the She Sells Sea Shells store and finally decided to head out to Serenity Bay.
(Side note - Tom and I are both NOT beach people! So all we wanted to do was go to Serenity Bay, stick our toes into the ocean and head back to do some shopping, check out the Pirate ship and go back to the Wonder - this is what we HAD PLANNED)
You need to take a tram to Serenity Bay and once we arrived we were greeted by a member of the group we were travelling with, Moley! She had headed out to the beach to grab a few beach chairs for our group. Yip, there is NO reserving chairs, but as long as there is no one wanting to have them .......! :lmao: Soon after Tom and I had arrived the rest of the group started arriving. Well, here is an impression of what we were in for!

www.magicaldisneytrips.com/beach

This is a 360° photo, so be sure to view it ALL the way! And yes, the water IS that colour and it is crystal clear ALL the way.

So, we took a dip into the ocean and we LOVED it - we spent ALL day out there on the beach!!!!!!!

Now, back to drinks and lunch!

They are actually serving out there on the beach!

So, here is what we started out with!

82.jpg

Captain's Mai Tai, Captain Morgan original spiced rum, amaretto, and pineapple juice topped with a float of Myers's Original dark rum.
That was Tom's drink - really good, but a tad bit strong for my taste - he loved it!

83.jpg

Pina CoLAVA, Bacardi Razz rum blended with pina colada mix and raspberry puree
My drink - sweet, thick and yummy, you cannot taste the alcohol, just right for me - you will "FEEL" the alcohol lateron ;)

We sat there sipping our drinks and watching members of our group enjoying the waters.

85.jpg

Shortly after we had finished our first set of drinks Claudia was on hand to deliver some more. Here she is!

29.jpg

And here is what she delivered!

IMG_2759.jpg

Tropical Depression, Light rum, vodka, gin and blue curacao mixed with grenadine, sprite, and a splash of sweet-and-sour. That was Tom's second drink. I tasted it and it definitely tasted too much of alcohol for me.

This is my all time Castaway Cay favourite!

IMG_2758.jpg

Konch Kooler, Myers's Original Dark Rum, Bacardi Rum, and pina colada mix mixed with our orange passion guava blend! That was such a wonderful drink - I definitely will have a few more next August! ;) :rotfl:

They even come with a "bubble" Hidden Mickey! :rotfl2:

IMG_2760.jpg

By then they had set up a barbeque at the bar behind our spot and at around 1.30pm we decided to grab a bite as well.

IMG_2751.jpg

Tom had some "roast beef" and some BBQ Pork Ribs. There was a salad bar and he had some creamy potato salad, some cucumber - olive salad and some coleslaw with it. It was really good stuff! Such a shame it comes on paper plates! ;)

IMG_2750.jpg

I had the Grilled Mahi Mahi Sandwich, again with some salad, tomato and creamy potato salad. The sandwich was really nice. Well spiced Mahi Mahi, a bit on the dry side, but who really cares in that surrounding. I LOVED the potato salad, creamy and not too sweet - :cloud9: and finally tomato which actually tasted like tomato.
The barbeque area was not crowded at all and there were really only a few people at Serenity Bay!

IMG_2761.jpg

We left Serenity Bay around 2.30pm and took the tram back to the shop and Family Beach.

IMG_2777.jpg

klein_595.jpg

klein_637.jpg

We were back on board the Wonder by 3.30pm.

That day was Pirate's Night, so we took a shower and relaxed on the balcony for a while until it was time for .......

Pirate Dinner at Animator's Palette

Loooove the updates Karin!! We are considering a short cruise (can't resist the "free child" deal!) or Universal on our next trip and your photos and reviews make dcl SO tempting!

My recommendations for CS places we enjoy:

WPE (but you know about this one already! ;) ) ****
Captain Cooks breakfast - almost as good as Kona!
Pepper Market - everything is cooked fresh to order and we've been really impressed. It's like a TS restaurant for a CS credit
The Mara - some interesting items there with the African theme and can't beat the view of the pool
Roaring Fork - good food with a gorgeous resort to visit
Sunshine Seasons

Can you tell we (mostly!) like the resort CS places more than the parks?

I would like to second (or third or fourth) Beaches and Cream and Cape May Cafe. And while you're in that neighborhood, you have to get something from the Boardwalk Bakery. Divine...

And Jiko? :love:

Congratulation on the added trip and HAPPY PLANNING!!!

****I wanted to add that we tried WPE on our last day for breakfast based on your reviews and OH MY GOSH! It was the sleeper hit of our trip. We are thinking about driving up to the Mall of America tomorrow and I might have us go just a mite early to have breakfast there again. So GOOD! (unfortunately the MOA WPE has a much smaller menu than DTD, but it scratches the itch!)

I loved your pics and trip report! We are heading out to WDW on November 16th and back on the Wonder November 19th. For sure this time I am dropping off the kids and heading to Serenity Bay! It looks awesome! We pretty much stuck to the Family Beach on Castaway last time. A question for you? How much was the "Kitchen SinK?" at Beaches and Cream? It looks delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter