Here's a WWYD? See #89

What would you choose

• option 1

• option 2

• option 3

• option 4

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is his girlfriend?! He needs to run from this one. She lent him money, and now is using it to control what he does?! I've been married to DH for 14 years, and we've been together for 20, and I can't imagine whipping him like this. We're now in our 40's, but I can't imagine the humiliation he would've gone through, especially as best man, telling his buddies he couldn't go to the bachelor party, because his girlfriend said no. Yes, they are totally idiotic, but it's what they do. My DH's party was 2 DAYS long (one night in NYC, the next day at a local GoGo bar), and when his best man told me I could pick him up, and that he was really drunk, I told him he could hold on to him until the next day. This has nothing to do about money - it's about her controlling him.

ITA...Also in our 40's, we have been married 29 years.

This situation illustrates why I would do anything to avoid borrowing money from a friend. She is totally holding the money over him to control him. If he's wise, he'll pay her back asap and then run!

As far as him missing her BD for the bachelor party, a BD can be celebrated any day and comes along every year. She needs to grow up.

ITA...Also in our 40's, we have been married 29 years.

This situation illustrates why I would do anything to avoid borrowing money from a friend. She is totally holding the money over him to control him. If he's wise, he'll pay her back asap and then run!

As far as him missing her BD for the bachelor party, a BD can be celebrated any day and comes along every year. She needs to grow up.
Yup. I agree with both of you. I mentioned a few pages back that I thought that the lender had overstepped her bounds by even looking though the borrower's finances. Now that I find out that the lender is the borrower's (soon to be ex) girlfriend, it makes it even worse. She is clearly trying to control him with the loan and it's not working.

On one hand I sympathize with her that he is choosing his BFF's bachelor party (complete with booze and strippers! The horror!) over her 30th birthday. I would be honked off too. On the other hand, he is an adult and can make his own (poor) decisions without the threat of his allowance being taken away.

I fail to see how she is being controlling. I know her pretty well too, and she is a good person, who gave someone she cared about a loan when they were "desperate" and now he'd rather party than pay her back.
Y'know, I don't see it as "he'd rather party than...". This isn't your typical partying. It's not as if he's going out three or four nights a week with the guys and getting wasted.

He made a commitment to the groom, probably long before his car died and needed to be replaced.
Part of being in this wedding party involves certain obligations of which he was aware either at the beginning or as plans were made.
It's pretty 'interesting' that, it appears, she would not be demanding he cut back on what she considers frivolous expenditures if he was spending his money on her instead of on the wedding.

Again, by not borrowing the money he could be paying the bank only $16 and change more per month than he is (yes, I realize I made assumptions about the loan - I calculated it at 10% for three years). Sure, that would have ultimately cost him $81+ over the thirty-six months over what he instead has to pay back in what seems to be a very brief period, but then there'd be no friction.

I still agree with her and think it's sad that my other friend is throwing away a good relationship with someone willing to help him get his finances in order to hang out with strippers.
It sounds like this was the plan for the bachelor party all along? It doesn't appear he hangs out with strippers on a regular basis. I agree with whoever said it sounds like the person with the money is being overly controlling. Now it's not just about the money, it's expanded into with whom he spends time - even though the bachelor party is a one-shot deal.

I don't know when the respective parties were scheduled. I will be honest though, if my bf wanted to go get a lap dance on a milestone bday of mine instead of being with me, I'd kick his butt to the curb, stat.
Nope. First things first. You don't have a timeline, apparently, but given all the planning involved in a wedding combined with you being happy the couple was together long enough for you to become friends with the GF - sounds like, most likely, the wedding festivities were planned before they even started dating.

After talking to HER a little more, I asked her flat out if she was po'd because of the strippers. She said no. She said she's mad because since her bf's car died, she stepped up and helped him out and was proud of him (and told him so) that he told her he would cancel something he had planned for the month coming up to start paying her back sooner.

Then he told her it was her bday plans he was cancelling. So she steps up, loans him the cash, and he's not even willing to forgo 1/2 a bachelor party for a guy he sees 2 times a week anyway, to keep his plans with her.
It's too bad, but she made an assumption. He could have been more transparent, sure, but she should have confirmed exactly what he would be cancelling.

Y'know, I don't see it as "he'd rather party than...". This isn't your typical partying. It's not as if he's going out three or four nights a week with the guys and getting wasted.

He made a commitment to the groom, probably long before his car died and needed to be replaced.
Part of being in this wedding party involves certain obligations of which he was aware either at the beginning or as plans were made.
It's pretty 'interesting' that, it appears, she would not be demanding he cut back on what she considers frivolous expenditures if he was spending his money on her instead of on the wedding.

Again, by not borrowing the money he could be paying the bank only $16 and change more per month than he is (yes, I realize I made assumptions about the loan - I calculated it at 10% for three years). Sure, that would have ultimately cost him $81+ over the thirty-six months over what he instead has to pay back in what seems to be a very brief period, but then there'd be no friction.

It sounds like this was the plan for the bachelor party all along? It doesn't appear he hangs out with strippers on a regular basis. I agree with whoever said it sounds like the person with the money is being overly controlling. Now it's not just about the money, it's expanded into with whom he spends time - even though the bachelor party is a one-shot deal.

Nope. First things first. You don't have a timeline, apparently, but given all the planning involved in a wedding combined with you being happy the couple was together long enough for you to become friends with the GF - sounds like, most likely, the wedding festivities were planned before they even started dating.

It's too bad, but she made an assumption. He could have been more transparent, sure, but she should have confirmed exactly what he would be cancelling.

ITA! When I read that she was upset because he was no longer taking her on a trip for her 30th birthday, it was absolutely clear it was not just about her needing the money back.

I think on my (actual) 30th birthday, I worked all day, had a job interview in the evening, and my DH was actually away at the time working. That's real life.

My husband worked on my 30th birthday and showed up at midnight with a bottle of champagne. I was asleep and could not have cared less. This woman is all about controlling her boyfriend/ex boyfriend. When she learned that the bachelor party was on her birthday, her response should have been 'great darlin' so I guess we'll need to pick another time to celebrate my birthday.' These two don't have what it takes for a long haul marriage; it's good that they are calling it quits. She needs to smile, say 'it was great while it lasted' and tell him he can make a monthly payment-through the mail.

All I've got to say is I would be ticked if my boyfriend or DH went to a stripper club while we're in a relationship, especially if he was hurting for money. I guess I'm just weird, but I think stripper bars and lapdances are extremely trashy. Lapdances are stimulated sex, and to me seem like cheating in a relationship.

We have a biker rally near here every year. A lot of the women who attend think nothing of flashing their breasts. If I were a guy, I'd break up with a woman who would do that. It's no different than the trashy people who expose themselves at Mardi Gras.

Yup. I agree with both of you. I mentioned a few pages back that I thought that the lender had overstepped her bounds by even looking though the borrower's finances. Now that I find out that the lender is the borrower's (soon to be ex) girlfriend, it makes it even worse. She is clearly trying to control him with the loan and it's not working.

On one hand I sympathize with her that he is choosing his BFF's bachelor party (complete with booze and strippers! The horror!) over her 30th birthday. I would be honked off too. On the other hand, he is an adult and can make his own (poor) decisions without the threat of his allowance being taken away.

Adults shouldn't need an "allowance." His mistake was in borrowing money to begin with. But, that said, I think someone else noted that he should pay the money back asap (borrow from a differnt friend or family member?) and put the "control freak" out of his life. Then, he can act as (irresponsibly as?) he seems to want to. It does seem he and the lender don't share the same priorities, no matter which one is right/wrong in this instance.

I have to confess that I really, really don't get the whole bachelor/bachelorette party. I've never attended one and never had one (maybe my friends and I are just dull, lol).

my own BF & I got engaged this weekend. :)

Just felt like sharing.

I'll make it "post relevant" by adding that we were talking about our own future wedding/bachelor/ette parties and he told me is he doesn't want strippers because, and I quote, "they're skanky and probably diseased and I don't want them near me" :rotfl2:

I told him that was fine because I think male strippers are kind of awkward/usually gay. :confused3

I guess we're just boring people. :lmao:

We are probably going to have a quick, cheap ceremony and then use the money for an awesome honeymoon. He wants to finally go to WDW! :thumbsup2

We have a biker rally near here every year. A lot of the women who attend think nothing of flashing their breasts. If I were a guy, I'd break up with a woman who would do that. It's no different than the trashy people who expose themselves at Mardi Gras.

It's interesting that you posted that because my fiance has told me in the past that he would not be able to stay with me if I ever did something like that. He does not like, as he puts it, (banned word but think "women of ill repute". And that's what he thinks of strippers, and women who flash or dress like hookers. (His favorite outfit of mine is actually an evening gown that shows no cleavage and goes to my ankles :confused3. He says it looks "elegant")

I guess we're just weird people.:confused3 Don't get me wrong, fiance is a normal man. He likes naked women as much as the next guy when it's done in private. He just doesn't think very highly of women who choose to flaunt themselves in public.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter