Here we go again! One Year Update!

Funny about the tub. I LOVE my tub and use it all the time. Not having one in the master would be a deal breaker for me.

Same here. No way would I buy a house without a tub in the master. I know you're not planning on moving, but that really cuts down resale value.

I don't really have any suggestions but I want to come along for the ride with this new house like I did with the last one. Seeing pics from start to finish! *The grandchildren are getting so big, I remember them from way back too!* :goodvibes

All good things to think about! Thanks so much! I think the tile for the shower would be the same tile that is used for the floor. The sides would be 18"x18" square tile and the floor of the shower would be smaller pieces. Does that sound right?[/QUOTE]

It sounds fine, are you going with a natural stone, or a stone looking porcelain? We've got a porcelain tile that looks like limestone, we've been in the house for 7 years and it still looks fantastic. Honestly, there isn't a "right" or "wrong", it's all about what you like. But, since you're forgoing the tub, make sure your shower looks fantastic!

Since I just realized you're in Arizona, you might want to look at blackout shades for some of your windows. We got them through the builder (now, I got an awesome employee discount, so you may be able to get them much cheaper somewhere else) and put them in all of the bedrooms, as well as the family room where the TV is. I'd certainly think about south facing windows at least from an energy conservation standpoint!

I understand what you are saying about the shower and it may not pose a problem with resale if a lot of people retire to that area because I would think as we age it would be easier (less risky) to just shower and not risk a fall. :confused3

We have the separate tub and shower and we use our jetted, bubble tub all the time. Of course, we both run and so it is wonderful to soak in a tub after a run. DH uses it more than I do but I would ours gets used several times a week.

I'm excited for you and hope you share the process. It was fun to watch last time. I wish I had done that as we built ours. I did do pictures of each stage, just did not post them here. I posted them to FB!

I'm not sure if this is the best photo, but it's hopefully decent enough that you get the idea.

I hate vertical blinds. Hate them. So we got these curtains at Pottery Barn. I have them on a traverse rod (that just pushes and pulls across, not with a rod.) The hardest part for me was to find one panel that fit the entire window.

IMG_1289_zps0c01bf65.jpg

ETA: And we did the same thing in the bedroom

IMG_1331_zps67e4bda9.jpg

We get plenty of light from our shutters. The wider the slats/louvers the more light you will be able to let in when you tilt them. Also I have them so you can have the top and bottom sections tilted different degrees.

Well, I guess I'll have to look again at what is out there for shutters! I know the ones we had didn't have separate moving sections.

Just wanted to say have fun building!!!

As far as window treatments I LOATHE blinds because they collect dust and dog hair....bleech.

Thanks, Mystery Machine! I hate blinds, too, and will not have them again in any house. I hated cleaning them!

Our house is older with pretty molding around the windows so I'm opting against any treatments on several of the windows. At least right now.
Good luck!

I'd love to have pretty molding around the windows and doors, but most houses in the southwest have very plain, rounded edges around windows. No moulding at all. Definitely need something, even if it's just at the top.

I'm totally lost as to what will look good on the sliders. I think we're going to check back with the builder again and see if there is any way we can have french doors instead of sliders. I really love the look of french doors.

We looked at a house that a retired couple had built. They lived in it a year and a half, and the gentleman died very unexpectedly. After a little while, the widow decided to move. The house was very, very nice (lots of pluses that I loved). When they built it, they put a large, beautiful shower in the master BR because they knew they never used a tub. We never use one either, but I was concerned about resale "just in case" I ever needed to sell. The realtor said that was a big part of why it hadn't sold yet. Everybody said that same thing. That was two years ago, and it still hasn't sold. :rolleyes2

I do agree with you wholeheartedly about a one story vs. a two story.

That's crazy about the house that won't sell!:eek:

Yes, as much as we like the look of a two story house, we were both in total agreement about this next house being one story. We are in our mid-to-late fifties, and not getting any younger! Even though we still have the ability to run up and down the stairs, it won't always be the case. I don't like vacuuming stairs, either. Add the fact that we have very young grandkids (and another on the way!) that are at our house a lot, stairs become a safety issue.

Congratulations on building a new house!

OP, one thing for sure - *don't* leave out the garden tub in the master bath. We have a Jacuzzi tub and have *never* used it in 11 years - crazy I know :crazy2: We are just shower people. But it needs to be there for resale.

Thanks! Ahhhh...I guess we need to think more on the pros and cons of the tub, no-tub issue!

Same here. No way would I buy a house without a tub in the master. I know you're not planning on moving, but that really cuts down resale value.

Another vote for the tub, I see!

I don't really have any suggestions but I want to come along for the ride with this new house like I did with the last one. Seeing pics from start to finish! *The grandchildren are getting so big, I remember them from way back too!* :goodvibes

Thanks! Carter starts Kindergarten this year!?!?!? How can he possibly be old enough for school?!?!???!

Well, looks like another building thread! Should be fun! The new house is going to be quite a bit different in layout and design.:)

It sounds fine, are you going with a natural stone, or a stone looking porcelain? We've got a porcelain tile that looks like limestone, we've been in the house for 7 years and it still looks fantastic. Honestly, there isn't a "right" or "wrong", it's all about what you like. But, since you're forgoing the tub, make sure your shower looks fantastic!

Since I just realized you're in Arizona, you might want to look at blackout shades for some of your windows. We got them through the builder (now, I got an awesome employee discount, so you may be able to get them much cheaper somewhere else) and put them in all of the bedrooms, as well as the family room where the TV is. I'd certainly think about south facing windows at least from an energy conservation standpoint!

I'm pretty sure we're going to stick with the Levolor cellular blinds for most of the windows, just not the continuous loop ones. We have room darkening Levolor blinds in the bedrooms now. I love them and will definitely put them in the bedrooms again.

I understand what you are saying about the shower and it may not pose a problem with resale if a lot of people retire to that area because I would think as we age it would be easier (less risky) to just shower and not risk a fall. :confused3

We have the separate tub and shower and we use our jetted, bubble tub all the time. Of course, we both run and so it is wonderful to soak in a tub after a run. DH uses it more than I do but I would ours gets used several times a week.

I'm excited for you and hope you share the process. It was fun to watch last time. I wish I had done that as we built ours. I did do pictures of each stage, just did not post them here. I posted them to FB!

We really do like the look of the walk-in shower. We had a jetted tub in our house in Maine, and I used it once in awhile. The person who used it the most was our younger daughter. She loved soaking in it after dance classes, competitions, etc.

I also documented the whole building process on facebook so that our family back East could follow along. They enjoyed seeing the process, and adding their thoughts and opinions!:)

I'm coming along for the ride, too! To echo a pp, I'm here to live vicariously through you. ;) We live in Florida and while I absolutely love it here, Arizona is my favorite state! We visit once a year and always dread the last day of the trip. I can't wait to hear more about the area in which you're building. Be sure to post new pictures of your beautiful grandchildren now and then, too!

As an aside, my DH is from Belfast, ME. Always nice to "meet" another Mainer! :wave2:

Have you all considered geothermal? VERY appropriate in the desert and increases the value of the home tremendously. Plus you get a huge tax break as well.

I'm coming along for the ride, too! To echo a pp, I'm here to live vicariously through you. ;) We live in Florida and while I absolutely love it here, Arizona is my favorite state! We visit once a year and always dread the last day of the trip. I can't wait to hear more about the area in which you're building. Be sure to post new pictures of your beautiful grandchildren now and then, too!

As an aside, my DH is from Belfast, ME. Always nice to "meet" another Mainer! :wave2:

Hello to your husband, a fellow Mainah!

Have you all considered geothermal? VERY appropriate in the desert and increases the value of the home tremendously. Plus you get a huge tax break as well.

Thank you for this info! We'll definitely look into it.:)

Not much to update, but we did go with the walk-in shower and no tub in the master bathroom. It added a few thousand to the price of the house, but it's what we want. Looks like we're going with sliders and not french doors. We've been back and forth on this issue with our sales rep, and don't want it to hold us up any longer. We figure if we find that we really hate the sliders after awhile, we'll look into having something else installed.

This is crunch week! The closing on our house in Tucson is scheduled for the beginning of next week, so we are really busy with sorting and packing and doing everything necessary to move this weekend. I didn't think I'd get emotional about leaving this house, but I am! I am going to miss the house, the community, the absolutely beautiful mountains and stunning sunrises and sunsets behind our house and the open desert with all the various critters.

Our sales rep (she has become a good friend over the months we've lived here) showed up at our door yesterday with a beautiful candy bouquet, and it really set in that we're moving. It'll be sad to say good-bye to this house, I think more so since we saw it take shape from choosing just the right lot to the finishing touches. But, it's time to look forward to a new adventure...building another house and making it our own, and being able to see our own kids more often, as well as those sweet grandkids of ours!

We'll be heading up this weekend to see if they've done anything to our new lot, yet. I'll be sure to post pics!

A few things we learned the first time around, and a few questions!

We had a house built in 2011 and we have just sold that house. And quickly, too! Went on the market on a Thursday, prospective buyers looked at it the following evening, and it went under contract that weekend. Crazy! We have purchased a house lot in another area, but they haven't broken ground yet on the new house, so we will be in limbo for a few months. We didn't expect our house to sell that fast!

So...back to the drawing board.:) We've always purchased existing homes, so 2011 was the first time we actually started with an empty lot and built from the ground up. At least now we feel like old pros!:laughing: For the house we just sold, we spent over six hours and two days at the home gallery choosing options. For our new house, we went last week and were done in four hours!

Here are a few things we learned the first time around, and things we'll do differently. The new house is going to be a single story, as opposed to our two story house. We didn't downgrade in size much, though. It will be around 2300 square feet as opposed to 2500. The kitchen island will be counter height and not tall, like the one we have now. Exactly what I want! We also went with the gourmet kitchen (double ovens, french door refrigerator, built in gas stove.)

We learned we didn't need an outside fan on the patio. It didn't really add much of a breeze, so we hardly ever used it. We never once used the separate garden-style tub in the master bathroom, so this time we're installing a large, tiled walk-in shower and no tub in the master bathroom. We will have the water softener/conditioner system installed when the house is being built, instead of adding it later. I quickly learned that I hated my new Levelor blinds with the continuous loop, and will not be installing those again! We're not doing the full granite backsplash this time, and will instead do tile or something else after the house is built.

Now, a few questions: I love the french doors (patio doors) we had installed in this house, but they weren't an option in the new house. We will have regular sliding doors that lead to the patio. If you have sliding doors in your house, what kind of window treatments do you have covering them? I know there are a lot of options (curtains, blinds, panels, etc.) and ways to cover the doors. What do you like or not like about your door coverings?

Also looking at other window treatments. I'm not a fan of curtains, though. What do you like or dislike about your window treatments?

Thanks so much for any help or ideas! Oh, and yes, we are going with an inground pool this time! Just too hot around this part of the country not to! Safety will be the biggest concern (with young grandkids running around) so we will be researching fencing, alarms and anything else we can think of to keep everyone safe. If anyone has any particular safety fencing/alarms that they like, I'd love to hear about them!

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

....well you be staying in Az?

Thanks! I'm pretty sure we're going without a tub in the master bathroom, and at this point, resale is far from our minds! We had a tub with jets in our house in Maine, and at first, it was great, but after awhile, I hated cleaning that thing! Also, if we do the walk-in shower and no tub, we'll gain a linen closet in the master bathroom.
I am currently house hunting and if I see one more large tub with a stall shower I am going to just cry! I hate baths, I hate tubs, they collect dust or the cats sleep in them. The stall showers are almost an afterthought in so many master baths. They make me feel claustrophobic.

A large walk in shower would be a huge plus on my want list! I may be in the minority but if there is one of me there has got to be a few more :lmao:

The other thing is a water closet (toilet in its own room) I do not know why, but we have now looked at about 10 homes, all built in the past 10-15 years and only one had a water closet in the master. This is almost a must for me.

I really don't want a 2 story - my DD does, she likes the concept that she has created in her mind that she can somehow get further away from us:rotfl: I've had a single story for 20 years, I love a single story and per my agent they have a higher resale value so I have a good reason to want a single story!

Good luck building that house!

I am currently house hunting and if I see one more large tub with a stall shower I am going to just cry! I hate baths, I hate tubs, they collect dust or the cats sleep in them. The stall showers are almost an afterthought in so many master baths. They make me feel claustrophobic.

A large walk in shower would be a huge plus on my want list! I may be in the minority but if there is one of me there has got to be a few more :lmao:

The other thing is a water closet (toilet in its own room) I do not know why, but we have now looked at about 10 homes, all built in the past 10-15 years and only one had a water closet in the master. This is almost a must for me.

I really don't want a 2 story - my DD does, she likes the concept that she has created in her mind that she can somehow get further away from us:rotfl: I've had a single story for 20 years, I love a single story and per my agent they have a higher resale value so I have a good reason to want a single story!

I just wanted to say, I agree with you and the OP 100%. We have a corner whirlpool tub that just sits there gathering dust. We are thinking of tearing it out and putting in a bigger shower, or a nice vanity for me to sit at and do my make-up. It's such a total waste. And a pain in the butt to clean.

I really never thought I'd say that before we built our house. I thought having a whirlpool tub would be the ultimate dream.

Also, after living my whole life in 2-story houses, I'd love to have a ranch, too. Nice and spread out. :)

:wave2:HI! Just want to follow along too! I am with you Luv on the shower no tub thing. Hope the move is going ok!

....well you be staying in Az?

Yes, we're going from the Tucson area to the Phoenix area.

Well, I think you might like our master bathroom! We're doing a large, walk-in shower (no tub) and the toilet is in a separate room.:) We put a garden tub in the last house we built, and never used it. Like you said, it just collected dust.

I just wanted to say, I agree with you and the OP 100%. We have a corner whirlpool tub that just sits there gathering dust. We are thinking of tearing it out and putting in a bigger shower, or a nice vanity for me to sit at and do my make-up. It's such a total waste. And a pain in the butt to clean.

I really never thought I'd say that before we built our house. I thought having a whirlpool tub would be the ultimate dream.

Also, after living my whole life in 2-story houses, I'd love to have a ranch, too. Nice and spread out. :)

I'm looking forward to having everything on one floor.:)

:wave2:HI! Just want to follow along too! I am with you Luv on the shower no tub thing. Hope the move is going ok!

Yay, thanks for following along!

It has been a very busy few days! We closed on our house in Tucson and moved over the weekend. Most of our stuff was put in storage, where it will stay for the next four or five months while our new house is being built. We rented an apartment back in October when we decided it was too much to travel back and forth between Tucson and Phoenix. We were spending most weekends in Phoenix visiting with our daughter, son-in-law and grandkids. So now, my husband and I will be living in our apartment until the house is complete.

We're only about twenty minutes from where our house is being built, so we'll be able to go up any time we want to take pictures and see the progress. I have some pics of the lot to post, but photobucket is not cooperating.:mad: As soon as I can, I'll post pics of our lot. It is quite different from our lot in Tucson!

We met with the building supervisor this morning, to go over the building schedule. They'll be doing soil sampling early next week, then building should start soon after. So excited to see this house go up!:)

3-1-13- The lot has been cleared and readied for soil samples.:)

I can't seem to get photobucket to work for me, so I'm using Flickr. I'm new to it, so hope this works!

Here is our new lot. You can see that this lot (unlike our lot in Tucson) already has a sidewalk in front and has the outside walls in place. There are four houses built to the left of the lot and four or five across the street.

DSC_0626 by luvflorida, on Flickr

Front of lot.

DSC_0625 by luvflorida, on Flickr

This will be our backyard in a few months. There won't be an open-view fence on this lot.

DSC_0624 by luvflorida, on Flickr

Looking from the back, left-hand corner toward the street.

DSC_0623 by luvflorida, on Flickr

This is looking from the front of the lot. Here you can see the inside of the right-hand wall...and...

DSC_0627 by luvflorida, on Flickr

...here you can see the outside of the same wall. There are no house lots behind us or to the right of us.

DSC_0812 by luvflorida, on Flickr

A wider view looking from the street. We have a big, grassy area beside us, with walking trails.

DSC_0815 by luvflorida, on Flickr

Looking up the street toward empty lots and nearby mountains.

DSC_0827 by luvflorida, on Flickr

Very nice!!!

I didn't read the whole thread, but one thing I would love to do when we reno this house is install the outlets with the USB adapters in it. Just about all the electronics in our house need USB to charge or run and this would free up some much needed plugs.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure we're going without a tub in the master bathroom, and at this point, resale is far from our minds! We had a tub with jets in our house in Maine, and at first, it was great, but after awhile, I hated cleaning that thing! Also, if we do the walk-in shower and no tub, we'll gain a linen closet in the master bathroom.

I'm in the process of planning a bathroom remodel and the tub is GOING! I have a second bathroom with a tub, but this little bathroom is going to be tubless with a nice big shower. I stopped renovating for re-sale...if they don't like it, don't buy it! This is for me!

Love your new lot! I love that walking trail right outside your fence. I could get up in the a.m. and hop on that nice flat trail and run and run and run. Maybe AZ would be a nice place to retire to. ;)

Keep the photos coming. Love them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter