Here now, broken MK

Wow, what a difference a week can make. I was there last week and the only ride down was Space Mountain for about 15 minutes. It came right back up and as we had a FP, we waited maybe 10 minutes (the line was a little backed up). Stitch was even open (not that I rode). That sounds like an absolutely terrible day at MK. I will also agree that the crowds were very heavy when we were there. We had to make the most of the early mornings. I really hope the rest of your trip goes better.

Going on a non-party day is the only way that a person can watch Wishes. For many, this is high priority.

The key word is "priority."

If your top priority is a lower-crowd day, go on a party night. But no Wishes.
If your top priority is seeing Wishes in the park, you need to understand the trade-off you're making.

I bet there were people there at that time who never noticed problems and had a wonderful day. Sometime you just have bad luck.

The line to get into the FP line can get crazy long on the mountains. With everyone having to scan their bands, it slows it down. But I have never seen it where the FP line was actually longer than standby. Once past the scanner, the FP
Line probably passed the SB line inside. If not, why did people stay in the FP line? That makes no sense at all.

xipotec, the Cast was in rehearsal for the Cast Service Celebration stage show for tonight's event. Their rehearsal began at 1:00a and only because the Celebration can't be held at DHS this year is it taking place at MK. Unfortunately, you'll be hearing the stage show music again tonight.

At least tonight it won't be at 4am!

If your top priority is seeing Wishes in the park, you need to understand the trade-off you're making.

100% agree. That was my comment though, if you go on a non-party day then you need to expect high crowds even if it is typically a low crowd week. Everyone not doing a party will go to MK that day.

For ride break-downs, it happens and is largely out of Disney's control on a day-to-day basis. Yes they could do more regular maintenance but that means more down time for refurbs, which no one likes. It's a balance and you can't expect all rides to have 99.9% up time.

Non-party day = very crowded. Not sure when people will figure this out.

For this week, according to Touring Plans, both non-party days at MK have been a 10. Other parks are all like a 2. PLAN SMARTER.

The issue IMO is not just the crowds. The multiple breakdowns and the FP vs SB queues seemingly backwards, when coupled with 10 crowds are the issues.

People plan their park days well in advance, book ADR's in advance and then see crowd calendars skyrocket, but they have their FP in place by the time that happens. It is easy to tell people to plan smarter, but when they did plan, and incorporated an evening in the MK as part of those plans made well in advance, that is hard to change. But you have a plan, right? Then the attractions break down. Plan gone to heck.

Yes, I agree to a point. I plan MK in the evening on a non party night because I want to see the evening entertainment. I am prepared for the crowds, and have planned my meal and FP accordingly. Works well until the attractions start breaking down, sending the crowds elsewhere. When the restaurants start backing up more than normal, it gets worse.

The FP line at Space blows my mind.

I say that because I was in the FP line when splash went down. We left as they said we could come back and use the FP later since we didn't scan yet. So we went later and the line was all the way to the shop but we still go in line as standby was 110 mins. We were at the mickey heads when we heard the person that merges the line ask how bad FP was bc he couldn't see the end. She said stage 3. We get up to the merger point and the guy is again asking. She says stage 4 so he tells the front of the regular line sorry but we have to get the FP line shorter. He only let us go through and when we got off FP was still supper long and standby was on hold.

Why would you (or anyone) get on a FP line when the standby line is shorter? Every time I've seen a manageable SB line at the same time as I have FP, I go SB, so I can ride again with FP, or change to a different FP. If you see the FP line is 35 minutes and there's no standby line, why would you get on the FP line?
I believe OP said that the standby line wait time was posted at 50 minutes. And, with Space, there's no way to tell how long the standby line is before you get into it. So, there's no reason why OP should have gone in the standby line.

With the way FP ratios work, it should always be quicker to be in a FP line than in standby, since they usually (and are supposed to) let many more FP riders through before letting any standby riders go. Often, a long FP line is due to someone having problems with the touch points, which doesn't actually make the wait longer, even if the line looks quite long. If the standby line was going faster than FP, the CM's screwed up.

Last edited:
Why would you (or anyone) get on a FP line when the standby line is shorter? Every time I've seen a manageable SB line at the same time as I have FP, I go SB, so I can ride again with FP, or change to a different FP. If you see the FP line is 35 minutes and there's no standby line, why would you get on the FP line?
How would the OP know that that SB line was shorter than the FP+ line? Do they now post wait times for both lines?

Just one thing to note. Having attractions down during the day doesn't necessarily mean it's broken down. If a guest stands up on a ride, they have to shut the ride down, evacuate and run the usual safety start-up procedure start to finish before allowing new guests to board. Same if there is a bio spill of any kind.

Given the way that fast pass is or at least is supposed to be prioritized over standby I wouldn't hesitate to get in a longer Fastpass line. And yes, I would be very unhappy if it actually took longer to get through than the standby line.

It really sucks that you had such a bad day. I would encourage you to go to guest relations, write a letter, do whatever you can to let them know. While I know stuff like this happens, it really is unacceptable given the price of a ticket.

I sympathize with the OP, but agree with this post. I've also had Space FP that took 30 min. (though some folks didn't believe me)

Beyond the options listed above:

1. Park hop. Go to MK on non-party days, then hop in another night just to see Wishes.
2. See Wishes from outside MK. There are a number of options around the MK lagoon. If you want low-end, eat dinner at GF's quick serve, or see Wishes from the TTC. If you want more high-end try Narcoosee's, Cali Grill, or monorail resort room with a view of MK.

When last we went to WDW during a party season, I just accepted that we'd have to make one of these trade-offs.

Its been stated already that its impossible to see how long a standby line is for SPM.

We kept expecting to see the line, but by the time we reached the final turn, we were shocked to see a family of 6 there....and no one else.

Ride operators claimed they were going to make those people wait 60 minutes....no way they did as more standbys came up

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter