Here now and was just told a rumor by a CM

Friendly Frog

DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.
Of course rumors are dime a dozen, but a CM just told me the latest rumor is that the Florida Tomorrow land will be getting a major Star Wars themed referb.,including Stitches Great Escape changing. Personally I could see a Star Wars theme working with the stitch ride mechanisms, but would hate to see everything get the Star Wars touch.

The strange part is that this information was given to me as an aswer to my question of. "When will Splash get some repairs?" The answer was " Splash is a pretty old ride, but TomorrowLand..."

I would definitely expect some Star Wars rides to be added at some point especially with 3 more movies being made. Not to mention over 4 billion spent on the franchise. However I doubt it will be in Tommorrowland considering Star Wars took place a long time ago....

I just don't see it. To me, Magic Kingdom is kind of sacred and should be reserved for characters or movies created by Disney. Even though Disney owns Star Wars, I think the only place for it is in Hollywood Studios. Same with Marvel.

Doubtful. Star Wars belongs at Hollywood Studios. Note the Hollywood part, aka cinema, aka movies. If they want more Star Wars attractions just take out the stunt show or the quick service place by Star Tours and build in from there. Tomorrowland would be a terrible fit for anything Star Wars imho. I won't go into the problems Tomorrowland does have/what should go in there, but Star Wars really has no place there.

I have to agree, I would think the Star Wars be a better fit at the studios.

Disney could follow Universal's lead with Harry Potter and have Star Wars attractions in more then one park. Star Wars can fit in Tomorrowland just as well as in DHS.

Obviously CMs who have real knowledge won't be sharing their information with guests. CM rumors are generally no more accurate then internet rumors.

Also, the CM should be aware that Splash Mountain is going down for a long refurb starting after the Holiday. And it's only 20 years old (not THAT old)...

rutgers1 said:
I just don't see it. To me, Magic Kingdom is kind of sacred and should be reserved for characters or movies created by Disney. Even though Disney owns Star Wars, I think the only place for it is in Hollywood Studios. Same with Marvel.

I agree with this.

Star Tours (or Star Tours: The Adventure Continues) is in Tomorrowland at the original Disneyland Park, Tomorrowland at Disneyland Paris, and in Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris. The only place with Star Tours where it's not at a Magic Kingdom-style park is at Walt Disney World, where it's at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

As the OP correctly noted, additional Star Wars attractions at the Tomorrowland at WDW are just a rumor. Nothing has been announced, nor is there any evidence (such as public filings with government agencies).

There are undoubtedly people in Burbank and Glendale (and maybe even Lake Buena Vista) discussing strategy and concepts to use the IP gained from the acquisition of Lucasfilm. However, as Lewisc noted, anyone who is part of that elite group is not sharing details with park Cast Members.

I don't buy the idea that the Magic Kingdom is somehow sacrosanct. Disney didn't create any of the Pixar characters. Disney didn't create Winnie the Pooh.

That said, I think it's more likely for Disneyland's Tomorrowland to get a Star Wars facelift than WDW. As another poster said, Star Tours and the Jedi Training Academy are already there. Captain Eo could easily be replaced. Innoventions is a waste of space.

The only thing which muddies those waters is the rumor of a Marvel attraction replacing Innoventions. While some Marvel presence would be appreciated, I think DL Tomorrowland could really benefit from a Star Wars makeover. Right now it's even more "lost" than its WDW counterpart.

Tomorrowland is supposed to represent the utopian, idealistic view of the future from the point of view of someone living in the 1950's and 1960's. When the year 2000 was so far away that people thought that anything could happen--that there would be flying cars, rocket ships, and tourism to the moon, mars, and elsewhere. The TTA/People Mover and the pre and post queues at Space Mountain perfectly illustrate this.

Unfortunately, we are now 12 years past the year 2000 and most of the aforementioned things don't exist, nor likely will even in our lifetimes. However, technology evolved in different ways like the Internet, tablet computers, and smart phones (all of which draw people further apart rather than bring them closer). More people also understand science and so understand why some of those imagined things will not or cannot exist.

For those who live solidly in the present under the influence of all of these technological "wonders" of today, Tomorrowland may seem outdated and cheesy. I hope that category of people don't work at important levels of Disney management who can influence change in Tomorrowland.

I thoroughly enjoy Tomorrowland as it exists now--a somewhat campy, idealistic look at what the future might have been. I'm also a huge Star Wars fan. But I really don't think the two should ever come together in the Magic Kingdom, not when Disney has a whole park (DHS) dedicated to the magic of movies. I think massive upheaval of Tomorrowland would sully Walt's vision of what it was supposed to represent...

I would definitely expect some Star Wars rides to be added at some point especially with 3 more movies being made. Not to mention over 4 billion spent on the franchise. However I doubt it will be in Tommorrowland considering Star Wars took place a long time ago....

I agree....

Back in 1955, Disneyland's Tomorrowland was supposed to project the future year of 1986, when Halley's Comet would return.

That was the plan, but, for the most, the reality never matched that plan. Yes, the Rocket to the Moon predicted passenger travel into space, but most of the attractions were corporate exhibits showing the "today" of that time, not a vision of a distant tomorrow.

Over the years, Tomorrowland (or Discoveryland) at all Magic Kingdom-style parks essentially became Semi-Sci-Fi Fantasyland, with emphasis on Pixar and Disney characters.

That's not necessarily bad if the attractions are good. But it's time for Stitch at MK and EO at DL to be replaced.

They should expand DHS to have a Star Wars Land. With the whole Star Wars Weekends....it would be totally appropriate!! Love that, just not at MK!

I'm going to add to the list of things that have ever either never lived up to their potential, OR things that have strayed from their origin....

Of course Stitch at MK - it was a cute concept, but considering that it is a bad attraction that holds you captive, with a storyline that's barely relevant - and execution that doesn't even live up to The Enchanted Tiki Room (which a lot of people bypass because it's.....ehhh not so exciting).

Now let's move on to the worst offender at Walt Disney World...

Futureworld at Epcot - it has a few bright spots, but overall - it needs MAJOR renovations.

Ellen's Energy Adventure.... need I say more?

But along with the direction of the post - Star Wars belongs at DHS. There is so much possibility that exists to create some of the best next generation rides that will leave Universal in the dust. The team in Orlando just needs to look at the success the team in Anaheim had with the addition of Carsland - and how it increase attendance and revenue FAR beyond their expectations! I bet WDW wouldn't need to have a new discount or promotion if they did what they know they need to do - and that's make FAR more changes than a New Fantasyland!

EPCOT needs MAJOR changes, DHS needs new attractions, and to ditch some dated attractions - and it is going to be SO long before Avatarland takes shape - it really is going to be a tough proposition to convince the leadership at WDW that they need to major commitment to updating, upgrading, and renovating everything that is making WDW look long in the tooth.

The biggest things that have been built at WDW in recent years - DVC resorts.... and we all know, that construction won't stop any time soon!

There really isn't much room left for expansion at DHS. I could see them putting in a few new attractions at Tomorrowland, but it wouldn't really do the franchise justice. So, this is what I've been reading on various entertainment sites. One said that at the time of the Star Wars announcement, Disney was already planning a Star Wars theme park for WDW. This would be the 5th park. They said they were told by "people in the know" about it. It should always be considered rumor until officially announced. But, I've heard they want a 5th gate by the 50th anniversary of Disney World in 2021. This would be about the same time that the third film in the new trilogy is coming out. So, if true, do you think Disney is reviving the Death Star to point at Universal, lol?:)

I know we have a full thread about this, but I'd love to see Dr.Who is tomorowland.

I'd fit so well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter