Helping family save for WDW

anc876

Mouseketeer
Do any of you have tips for helping and motivating others to save for a Disney vacation? We live in AZ and my family lives in FL. We visit them often but want to try to do WDW next year with them. My family's funds are a bit tight but they also have difficulty managing their money and saving.

At first, we decided on a date together, but then I realized what if that date comes and they don't have the money? We don't want to fly all the way out there and do WDW without them. So I thought, what if they save up the money first then we'll plan the trip? Then there's the possibility of them failing to save enough due to not having a clear deadline or goal.

We figured out a cost estimate and how much they need to save per month. My current plan is to have them send me payments via PayPal so it can be set aside in a separate account to be used for the trip (with the option of returning the funds to them should that become necessary).
Within a few months of the trip, if everything is on track, we can start making reservations and really push forward with the trip.

Any ideas? What have others been through in similar situations? Thanks!

;)I know you want to enjoy the vacation with them but it seems like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself you help them "get there". I would plan the trip for my family and let them know when we were going...help them book their trip through Disney and then they can pay Disney on-line for the reservation--up until 45 days before check in I think.

If they want to go they will save and then you are not out of time, agravation and disappointment. With my Mom and Dad I planted the seed a year before the trip and they had time to save and plan.

If your family doesn't know how to save money maybe a trip to Disney would be financially a big mistake, that you kinda encouraged. It is that word "motivation" which makes me think you want the trip more than they do.

I am so sorry that I come across as rain on your parade...

Thanks for your response. I had completely dropped the trip as a group idea, but my family really wants to make it happen. I'm giving them a chance, but I do realize it's their responsibility to save. The thing is that we'd rather do DL over here than fly to FL and do WDW by ourselves. They would be the only reason we'd go all the way out there. Maybe I should just wait for them to save up the money then we'll go from there.

We are tight for money as well. But what we are doing is waiting for income tax to pay for the trip. We are staying off property at a cheap hotel that has free breakfast. So we can eat there every morning and we are going to eat luch there in a quick service resturant there. Then going to eat dinner of proparty every night. We are also only going to spend a certain amount of suvaneirs for the kids. We are also going to take snacks in the park and a refillable water bottle. That way if they kids say they a hungry before or after lunch, we won't have to buy snacks. But like the PP has stated, if you feel like you need to help them save because they are that tight for money, then it might not be a good thing for them to go even though you want them to. They are they only ones that know how much money they have.

I agree with the PP. If they are not willing to budget and save without help, then the trip isn't something they are really interested in. They are adults, and shouldn't have to have their hands held in order to save money. If they require the measures your thinking of taking, because they don't know how to save, a Disney trip doesn't seem like a very good financial decision for them. The best you can do, is plan your trip and help them plan theirs and hope when the time comes they will have the money saved to book their trip. If they don't, then you go and enjoy your trip and maybe they can get it together the next time.

I understand what you're trying to do, but the issue is that even if they do save the TOTAL amount in advance, what's stopping them from spending it by the time the trip rolls around? Either they're capable of saving the money specifically for the vacation or they're not.

If I was in your position, I would keep my own options as open as possible. You say that you go visit them regularly anyways, so you can just plan on it, then cancel if they don't have the money. Get a room only reservation instead of a package to maximize flexibility, or do a package but cancel at 45 days out if they don't have the money to make their final payment.
I know that it probably goes against your nature, but then you wouldn't be going without them, but still spending time with them.
I guess that wouldn't work if they live in Miami or something.

Thanks for your response. I had completely dropped the trip as a group idea, but my family really wants to make it happen. I'm giving them a chance, but I do realize it's their responsibility to save. The thing is that we'd rather do DL over here than fly to FL and do WDW by ourselves. They would be the only reason we'd go all the way out there. Maybe I should just wait for them to save up the money then we'll go from there.

You could make some suggestions of things they could do in order to save money. Like, if they eat out regularly they could eat at home and the money they would have spent eating out goes in the Disney fund. Star Bucks addiction? Anyone smoke? Friday night six pack? Weekly shopping outings? We've already saved over $1,500 since March, by cutting out expensive daily coffees, soda, and weekly pizza. At this rate, we will almost be able to pay off our trip with just what we saved cutting those expenses.

These are adults, right? If I were your relative, I would find your proposal extremely condescending. Just give them the cost estimate and the trip dates and let them handle this themselves.

Even if they ASK you to do this, I don't think it's a good idea. You're setting yourself up for all sorts of heartache.

Make your plans. Personally, I think it sounds like they won't have the money so I'd go to DL. If you want to go to WDW and invite them, confer with them on dates, knowing that you STILL may be going alone if they can't swing it. The rest should be up to them.

If they ask how you save money, tell them your 3 top tips and then don't mention it again!

Thanks for all of your perspectives. I think many of you are right - they are adults and should be able to do this themselves. I just need to take a step back. It's tricky only because we wouldn't even plan the trip if it weren't for them, and they live in the panhandle so we probably wouldn't see them if we did WDW without them.

As a PP noted, I realize my offer might have sounded condescending, but we have had many discussions on finances and my parents have been through extreme financial circumstances and still have not learned from their mistakes. They know we are just trying to be helpful. I have made several suggestions on how to cut down expenses and save. But what I'm hearing sounds right - they should be able to hold their part of the deal and not have their hands held.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter