Help with our decision

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by disneydork3, Jun 13, 2013.

  1. disneydork3

    disneydork3 Obsessed with Disney

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2012
    Messages:
    278
    We are thinking of buying now, canceling the cruise and changing our flights. We'd close by August. Would that be enough time to book Nov 22-27th (avoiding Thanksgiving) this year or would all the resorts be booked by that time?
     
  2. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.



    to hide this adverts.
  3. dmunsil

    dmunsil Disney Uber-Nerd

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    Messages:
    857
    Availability could be spotty. You might be able to get Saratoga, but even then there might only be part of that time available, especially if you want a studio. There's availability now, which is a good sign.

    I'd get a cash booking now just to cover yourself, and if you can only get 4 of your nights, let's say, you can fill in the missing night by shrinking the cash reservation to fit in there, and then linking the reservations so you don't have to change rooms. If everything works out and you get the rooms on points, you just cancel the cash reservation and get a full refund.
     
  4. Deb & Bill

    Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2000
    Messages:
    44,822
    You are two months out from closing. What little that is available now will probably not be available in two months. What happens if you cancel the cruise, change your flights and nothing is available for points? Do you go somewhere else? Do you book for cash?
     
  5. disneydork3

    disneydork3 Obsessed with Disney

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2012
    Messages:
    278
    We are pretty flexible. We'd either try for October dates (might be gone or easy to get at that time????) or just push back to when we could get something. I wouldn't cancel the flights until I was positive with dates. I could always book cash this time as well.
     
  6. Deb & Bill

    Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2000
    Messages:
    44,822
    October will be as bad as November. There are a lot of waitl lists right now because of F&W and MNSSHP. Later in January, after the marathon might have occupancy after you close.
     
  7. disneydork3

    disneydork3 Obsessed with Disney

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2012
    Messages:
    278
    Maybe we'll just cancel the cruise, keep our flights and drive up to Orlando. I can rent points that are available now and pay cash for the two days that aren't.

    Another quick question...if we buy SS and book 11 months out, can we change at the 7 month mark if we want a different resort??
     
  8. RebelSoul

    RebelSoul Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2013
    Messages:
    137
    So long as there is availability elsewhere, you absolutely can cancel your SSR reservation and rebook at another resort at the 7 month mark. We always book one of our home resorts at the 11 month mark. If we feel like staying elsewhere and there is availability, we change at the 7 month mark. We love our home resorts, but occasionally it's nice to have a change of pace.
     

Share This Page