Help with lettering...please!

precious2flh

Mouseketeer
You guys have been so much help so far with links for ideas. My mian problem is now with lettering. All the pages look so professional and mine look so home-made. How do you do the lettering and make it look like most pages look? Do you print it on computer?...if so how do you cut it out? Do you buy die-cuts? Please share your secrets!

Thanks so much!

I use stickers alot and I have a stencil of a couple of alphabets. You can get templates that work with a blade runner or swivel knife but I haven't tried those. Sometimes I try to do bubble letters or whatever free hand but I'm usually a little less than impressed with my own abilities.
I bought "The Best of Creative Lettering Combo" for my computer and sometimes it's helpful. You can print titles out backwards so it's on the wrong side of the paper so when you cut it out you don't have the lines showing on the "pretty" side. I haven't used it as much as I thought I would, but it comes in handy sometimes.

my favorite titles are where I cut out the letters - I usually use a font of the PC, or sometimes a template, print it in the reverse on the back of the paper and cut it out. If I am really taking time, then I will mat it using a magic matter (this draws a line around the letters about 1/8 in out, which you can then cut out again).

This is my preferred way - but it it time-consuming, and fiddly, so I also like using Letter Stickers - or sometimes I will just print something out from the printer and use that directly.

It is pretty rare for me to do the title freehand, although I do some journalling by hand (but not all of it)

Bev

thanks for the great idea! I would have never ever thought to print it out on the wrong side! My cutting skills are around the 3th grade level! LOL! but that would make it so much easier!
maybe I will try the computer a little more! I have been using stickers only! computer and paper would be so much cheaper!

I have to agree that a nice lettered title can make all the difference in how a page turns out. I use lots of sticker letters and I also recently purchased the sizzix machine with the upper and lower case. I do lots of titles with these. The colluzzle letter template is another good source, but I didn't want ALL my titles to be the same so I bought the others. I have also become addicted to fonts and especially all the Disney ones. You can print them out on acid free paper and then cut out the title, I usually don't cut each letter out when I do this, but mat the entire title. Happy Scrappin'.

Lisa

I was at ACMoore today and they are adding more letter stickers that looked real cool. Clear with white detail (outline and patterns) Those will be going in my book soon.

I tend to use fat, chunky lettering templates. I like the way they look cut out of a contrasting paper.

Hint: I seldom cut out the center of letters (like the middle of an A), instead I take a scrap of background paper, cut out the inside shape and glue it on top of the letter.

I also like to sometimes connect the letters in my words. I just tilt the template back and forth to make the letters lean different directions overlapping slightly. Then, I cut out the word instead of each letter.

I suggest playing with scrap paper. You'll quickly learn some shortcuts of your own. Happy scrappin'!

Merry Poppins makes a good point about the centers - they are the hardest to cut out, so if the font will allow it, I've started just punching a hole with my hole punch, or using an eyelet or a brad to indicate the inside of the letter - it looks cute and it's a lot easier.

If you do want to cut out the inside, then cut that part out before you cut the rest of the letter out - it's a lot easier to cut it out when you have a big piece of paper to hold onto, rather than just the fiddly little letter.

Bev

I like eyelets as letter centers. A really cute look!

Another thing I've been known to do, is to use a shape punch. Little flowers or leaves can look really good on top of your lettering, if they go with your layout.

This was a great thread! I never would have thought to use a punch for the center of a letter! Thanks!

I also use punches for the holes in letters (my fav is the Mickey ear punch). Another tip is to use a sharp xacto blade and a glass mat, makes a huge difference. To get to the centers make a small slice in an area not too noticeable say an inside corner of an "A", then cut the center out. When the letter is glued down the slit is barely noticeable. If using scissors remember to always turn the paper,not the scissors for a smooth cut.

I use templates, computer journaling and sticker letters (my fav) all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter