Help! Why did you buy DVC?

ColoradoDisneyFan

Mouseketeer
We just got back from a week at the Poly and had a great time. We went to the DVC presentation yesterday and now we are home and wondering what to do! Our guide told us we had until Wed. to get the $5 per point discount. Although we love Disneyworld we think we will only go every two years with Disneyland trips every now and then. We love going to Hawaii and other places in our off Disneyworld years. We have stayed at the Beach Club and the Caribbean Beach resorts, too. Loved them all. What made you make the final decision to go with DVC? The savings on deluxe accommodations, the larger room options? I need a little assistance! THANKS!

If you go to WDW even every other year - it is worth it - However if you only go once every three years - it might not work for you. WHen I brought we once a year - then twice now we go three to four times - I love DVC.

I brought because I dearly love WDW and having the excuse to HAVE to go every year was too much to resist. Also the year before I spend alot of money on DL (now POR) for 2 rooms when I was taking my brother and his family. Since I knew we would be back at least every other year when the children were young and would love WDW it was easy for me.

My brother is a big man and is not really comfortable in the double beds of the moderates - but he seems to love the king bed in the 2-bedroom.

All that extra room is so nice - especially after you have tried WDW hotels.

Our reason for buying into DVC, was to ensure a yearly vacation. To take time out of our busy lives and smell the roses. Have some quality time.
Both DH and I feel we are creating wonderful family memories. Plus we can share some points with both our families.
We hope when our children are all grown we can spoil our grandchildren too.
WDW is one place to visit but we plan on trying different places too!
Enough of this sentimental stuff. We love DVC and plan on going somewhere until 2042.:)

I had been going to Disney 2-3 times a year, mostly staying at the All Stars and occasionally at a moderate. I figured it was actually cheaper, in the long run, to buy into the DVC AND get to stay in deluxe rooms! Plus the fact that it's a monthly payment, which was easier to budget, rather than coming up with a big sum of money for the room at the time of the trip.

Because I am obsessed with WDW and why should I waste my time finding discount codes for outrageously priced deluxes and stressing myself out when I can have my vacations for the next 40 years paid for and never pay more than that unless I choose to? I am also warming up to the fact that Hilton Head is on the beach and given that winter is hangin on by the teeth up here, I am finding thoughts of the beach almost :-) as happy as visiting WDW. The flexibility is also a wonderful thing. I am probably as giddy as each new DVC person, I find myself going over where I could go ove rthe next few years and getting all excited about the possibilities. It's great to know that once that first vacation is done, you can already look forward to the next one because your accomodations are already paid for.

We started out at WDW at the values and decided to go once every couple of years, after the first year watching the magic take over our little ones and our whole family we decided we would go once a year and moved up to a deluxe the following year. We then decided DVC would save us money compared to the deluxes and now plan on going twice a year. This will bring us many family memories for the next 40 years that we may otherwise have skipped if we didn't have the money one year or another. The other thing that pushed me over the edge was the roominess, I like the idea of putting the kids to bed in their own room and not having to try and walk around being quiet in the dark (we purchased enough points for a 2 bedroom).

We vacationed in WDW at least once each year since 1987, always on-site, always in a moderate or deluxe. When I think of all the $$$ we spent in hotels rooms!
We'd talked about DVC before but always thought it wasn't for us, timeshare stigma. Then, friends of ours bought in. When we saw their 1 bedroom unit at BWV we were sold. The best decision we've made. Now that our kids are older (19 & 16 1/2) we are so happy to have the extra space. No more worry about how much this years trip will cost, especially with 2 tuitions to pay! And it's always deluxe accomodations. We love our DVC.

It wasn't just one reason that led us to buying our DVC membership, it was all the reasons you cited.

We are among those (few??) who don't go every year and since there are only 2 of us, we only bought 150 points. Being able to bank/borrow points has enabled us to use these 'minimal' points for trips ranging from 2 week stays in a studio, to taking friends with us and getting a 2-bedroom for a 1 week stay along with some additional nights in an AKL concierge room. The flexibility has been wonderful!

We do try to plan our trips 'back to back' to take advantage of annual passes. We'll take the second trip just before the 12 months on our passes are up. Then we we'll skip a year before starting the cycle again. We thought we might skip 2 years occasionally - but that hasn't happpened yet. :D

If you are interested in a location other than BCV, there are re-sales out there for less than what Disney is asking. Be aware that unlike buying through DVC, you'll most likely have to pay closing costs.

We bought 150 points because we thought we'd go every other year or so with banked/borrowed points for a great time! And it allowed us to be able to take my mom and DH's parents and splurge. We have plans to go to DL & the Alaskan cruise as well as Australia. We've bought an addition resale of 220 pts and it's a dream come true to know that our lodging is always paid for.
Truthfully it has allowed us to take vacations more often.

Cheryl

1)Standard hotels rooms had gotten a bit too small for our family of four, and privacy was impossible.

2)Having in-room laundry means that we can pack half as much.

3)We don't have to eat in restaurants three times a day if we don't want to.

4)We're less likely to postpone a trip a year or two down the road.

5)If not for the walks to and from the BWV elevators, we'd never get any exercise!

Basically for all the reasons listed above. For us the deciding factor was the spaciousness of the accommodations,as well as, a kitchen and laundry. This combined with the Magic of Disney and the ability to go to HH or take the cruise was icing on the cake.

The financial aspects were what convinced DH. However, in all honesty, what I love is to know that WDW is truly my second home. The feeling that I own something there. It's similar to the reason why I bought 1 share of Disney stock (so I could feel like "part" of Disney). The other reason is that DH is such a workaholic, he'd never take a vacation. The only time he goes anywhere is when I plan it all-and he knows that and hopes, as I do, that this will give him incentive to HAVE to take a vacation. But for me, it was really the Disney family feeling. Anyone else buy for that reason?

To own something Disney was a major factor for me. And I have always day-dreamed about moving to Florida. DVC ownership is kind of a solution to that -- instead of going to WDW as a guest, I have my own home there, even if it is only a week a year!

Quality was the factor that tipped the scales to DVC in our buying decision. We have toured numerous time-shares at many vacation spots in the past and had always considered we'd buy at some point. We actually toured two time shares while we were in Orlando this past fall in the days before we signed on with DVC. No where could we find the quality that DVC puts forth.

We've heard nightmares about other time shares letting their property go to pot........well with Disney we don't have that worry because their name MEANS quality.

Also, if you buy into DVC and want to travel somewhere else at some point you have a LOT more leverage as far as "trading" through the World Passport collection (or even trading reservations you make yourself, for that matter). When you own DVC you own a piece of the Magic that millions of people want a part of. You won't regret it.....I haven't met anyone yet who has. Only one regret resonates here........ I wish I would have done it sooner!!!!!!!

:D

1)Quality - of the accomodations.

2)Value. After about 5 years (we paid cash) the purchase price will be recovered and the next 35 years cost me only the price of the dues. This is based on the fact that we would have spent the same amount of money on vacations anyway. It is a longer payback time if you borrow th money to buy into DVC but it is still a good deal in my opinion.

3)Magic. We want to be able to give our kids a vacation at one of the best resorts in th world at no cost to them and be able to share the same "magic" with our grandchildren that we shared with our kids when they were younger.

4)Flexibility. My wife and I can enjoy Vero Beach or Hilton Head and other resorts in the years we don't go to WDW.

5)Stability. Disney is one of the largest entertainment companies in the world. If you are going to take a chance on a timeshare we felt Disney was a good bet to stay in business for the duration of the contract.

Hope this helps you.

As a brit I first went to Florida and Disnay in March 2000.I totally loved the location and the climate.I also could not wish to meet such polite honest people in your country.As a adult with my wife and no children I assumed Disney would be too young for adults.No way I adore the place.On the visit to the DVc slaes at BVW I purchasec150 and have added on another 75.A great way to vacation

We bought for many of the reasons mentioned above.
The quality, the spaciousness, the kitchen. But we love the atmosphere and 2nd home feeling at OKW so much, we've taken some trips there and did't even go in the parks.

If you can't decide by Wed., don't worry. You can buy resale and save money that way too. We added to our initial purchase that way through the Timeshare Store that advertises here.

that you don't have longer than that to take advantage of the $5 off promotion - perhaps call member services and talk to a different guide and ask them if you could still take advantage of it next week. The $5 off is great, but you don't want to rush into anything if it's not right for you.

How often do you like to go to WDW, and what kind of accomodations do you like to stay in?

We were at CBR in May 1998, BC in November 2000, and Poly last week. We also were at Disneyland in November 1999. Love those deluxe accommodations!!! I thought about seeing if we can extend the deal. Our guide is out until Wed. and I have questions to be answered. Plus, we have two other couples we know that want to buy and I wondered if they would give us a discount if we brought two more buyers. These people were looking at resales. Anyway I have another guide calling me tomorrow morning to answer our questions. Thanks everyone for the info and help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter