Help! WDW Wedding and brunch on the sly

Discussion in 'Disney Weddings and Honeymoons' started by c.langtry, Jan 3, 2011.

1. c.langtry

c.langtry IheartWDW

Lets get to the short and the sweet of it. I'm a DVC member and my family and I love Disney. We are getting married the end of this year in WDW, commuting from PA. I may want the destination wedding but I refuse to pay the large sums of $$$$ that Disney is telling me I must pay. If you say the word "wedding" (first mistake) you are automaticly giong to spend at the very least $12,000. They don't cutomise to fit your budget or style, it's a one-of-three package deal. Not very Disney like in my opinion.
    We are getting married by a FL resisdent Notary of the Public off site. All I want is a brunch for 50 people(most likely less) on the Monday late morning that we are getting married for the few family and friends that will be making the trek with us. I don't want decorations, special treatment, matching linnens and napkins or anything like that. We don't want traditional and aren't even using the word reception. We just want a brunch and I have my heart set on The Attic in the Boardwalk Resort. I am willing to do a large group ressie but I don't know where to begin. Does anyone have any suggestions? Tips? Related stories of overcoming small budgets? Any help is greatly appriciated.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. girli565

girli565 A Miami kind of girl

I guess you can contact the restuarants directly and see if they will let you book a group that large during their normal business hours. I know a lot of Escape brides book their own reception by doing that and some have had gorgeous lunches/dinners.

I don't know if you'd be able to book the Attic without going through DFTWs or some sort of official WDW department. Maybe contact the Disney Event group? They have a website and number... maybe another person here can get it for you.

4. princesswendy720

princesswendy720 DIS Veteran

You can't book a "reservation" for the attic as it is a private event space that requires disney catering. You can contact Disney catered events to set up your "gathering"..but I wouldn't call it a reception and you probably won't be allowed to wear a wedding dress. Their website is www.disneycateredevents.com. The event guidelines for a brunch at the attic would be a $1,000 minimum food and beverage expenditure.

5. princesswendy720

Also, have you considered the memories package? It's $1,991 for a ceremony with you, your future husband, and up to 4 guests.

6. c.langtry

c.langtry IheartWDW

Thanks! I have called their catering department for events to request a quote but hey told me I will need the reservations of all my guests to get an acurate head count and quote. I still haven't received that return call and it's been about 2 1/2 weeks. I'm so impressed with Disney's hospitality and customer service in all other aspects of vacationing in WDW so I'm a little miffed at their obviously not wanting to help attitude that I'm getting from all the people I've called to try and do this brunch. ugh.

7. c.langtry

c.langtry IheartWDW

Thank you for mentioning that Princesswendy720. I was worried about then showing up in my little white cocktail dress and how the staff would react. If I showed up to a group brunch at a resturant they wouldn't be able to treat me differently would they? It's really just a brunch, it's our favorite meal and we wanted to share just one with our whole family that make it down. Keep the ideas coming.

8. princesswendy720

You can wear your wedding dress to a regular dining reservation (as long as it's not in a theme park). I'm not sure if a restaurant will have capacity for 50 guest reservation though (at the same time).

9. girli565

girli565 A Miami kind of girl

10. RangerPooh

RangerPooh DIS Veteran

You can also try DTD restaurants. Past brides ahve used Fulton's and Portabello's for their receptions. Since they are in DTD you can wear your wedding dress.

11. c.langtry

c.langtry IheartWDW

Thanks guys!

12. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

Why don't you say you are having a "family reunion" and would like a meal for 50 people. Not a lie at all, you will have your family there and who doesn't eat at reunions? Then if you wanted to add a few special touches it would be okay too. You could make a monogram/logo with just your new last name and date and it would still be appropriate for a "family reunion".

Disney is so big on their theme of "what are you celebrating?" so see what they can do for those celebrating family getting together for a reunion.