Help me through this...not renewing APs

bumbershoot

DIS Veteran
:charac2::charac2:

Hi all!

We've had APs for Uni since 2011. But right now it makes no financial sense to renew.

Hubby didn't go at all in the last year of APs; didn't even ever get to pick up his renewed power pass!

And now we don't have trips where we'll enter Uni planned. We'll be in the area in December, but the first part we'll be with family who will have dropped their APs for financial reasons (not nice to run away and go to the parks), and the second part will be over xmas and we aren't staying onsite so we're not setting foot in the parks. It's not because we don't want to go, but for this trip we're using up DVC points that are going to expire, and we just don't know when our next trip will be. :sad:

It doesn't make sense to renew. But wow the difference between buying new (under the current prices) vs renewing right now is painful. But if we buy in 6 months, then renew a year after that, we'll be at whatever renewal prices there are at the time, right? Same pricing structure as if we kept them for now?

Skipping 4-6 months at least at Uni...it makes sense to not renew financially. But can I get some hand-holding for this grownup, but super-boring and SAD, decision?

:thanks:

ps...I should mention that until mid-July we DO have lower-level USHollywood passes...so there is that.

My thought is to renew the AP especially if you have the preferred

Look at what it would cost you for a one day p2p pass

Odds are if you went 4 days, would be cheaper with an AP

And this AP would give the 10% discounts on food and merch

We just don't have any plans to go until...I don't know when. Not going to FL until December, and that's onsite at WDW only, and maybe not even parks then. January = Disneyland Star Wars run, Feb = nope March = nope April = nope...it goes on and on. My son's dance schedule is getting more and more intense, and his being OK with missing classes/Company performances is disappearing (he has to miss stuff b/c of our December trip)... Sigh.

thanks for the reply, by the way. :)

It's okay. If you don't know when you''ll be back, bite the bullet when you do return, and decide then if it's worth the cost of an AP. I tend to buy Super Grover passes every other year, and it's been 2 years since I bought it last time. I don't get the renew price, but I never know what the next year will bring, so it doesn't bother me to pay a higher price than renewal, as I do the cost effectiveness when I decide. We have them again this year, as kids wanted to visit DC again. Just the discount on that and few park entries, and platinum APs, which Grovers are, are a good deal. Yep, and we travel much differently now than before too, as one of my kids is now in college, and one is into high school and club sports.

So while I keep my Uni AP, as I go when the kids do not, the kids have yet to have an AP, and DH does not go, as he not a park fan. All the times the kids go with me to Uni, I can get tickets for less than an AP. Maybe not so much now with the prices and the power pass, but when they want to return, I'll do the math. We may not be back as a family for so time too.

Either way, if cost is the driver, then don't renew. And, who knows, maybe you'll be back as a family, maybe as a couple you'll be back, or maybe it will be years before any of you return. So, don't renew, and do the math when you wan to. I know my kids will want to return next year, the new water park is a big draw. We'll see. We tend to not make last minute plans.

Pity party can commence. :)

Keep sharing your love of all things Universal here on the boards. That will keep you connected to your favorite park until you can return again :hug:

Total pity party. :)

I had just got my pretty card. :)

I haven't even been inside a WDW park since Jan 2015 and I still post there lol. Though the subjects are getting fewer as they keep changing things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter