Help me please! I need your opinions.

SerinaEmily

Mouseketeer
Every day I keep going back and forth about this.
We have a Disney vacation scheduled for this September. We are going for a VERY good price. 2 adults and 3 kids, staying at POP 10 days, free dining, the package is $1538 and we're driving down so say $500 travelling expenses.
We really want to go this year 1 because of the free dining, and 2 because the youngest is 2, next year we'll have to pay for her plus not be able to stay at a value. I priced the same package for next year and it's over $4000 cause we'd have to stay somewhere more expensive and pay for her park admission etc.
Now here's the thing... we are gung ho for the trip, but we've already heard from my parents the oh no you shouldn'ts, and how its irresponsible etc to spend SO much on a vacation etc etc.
Now I KNOW that yes it would be 'smarter' financially to sock the $3000 away for a rainy day. But I also KNOW that the memories from a Disney vacation are priceless.
We are committed to living debt free, no credit cards, that's where my parents worry is coming from I think, they have a hard time keeping their nose out of our business and knowing that we dont have credit cards freaks them out. They think we should have a huge emergency fund in place before going to Disney like $5000 in the bank untouched. We have $1000 stashed and will be building on that after Disney. We are living very basically right now to save all our extra dollars to do this trip cash up front.
I keep thinking that it would ease the financial tension if we just stop saving for Disney, but then I know that $3000 will disappear in little extra things here and there and we'll have nothing to show for it. Or we keep living on a tight budget just to save money and then have nothing to show for it in the end. At least saving isn't so hard now because we know something great is coming at the end of it.
I just can't see clearly if we are being irresponsible like they think or not.
Like I said we have $1000 emergency money, we're not taking a vacation on our last dime. And we have the means to make that into a few thousand saved by early next year. We can pay the trip cash and we REALLY want to do this. Is it irresponsible to go without more of a cushion in the bank?

I think the correct answer to any question they have about your finances is "sufficient".

I happen to know about both my mother's and sister's finances only because I am a CPA and do their taxes for them for a real good price (free). Since my wife died the only person who knows anything about my finances is my oldest nephew, who only knows where things are and where to find stuff in my house if something happens to me.

It's your money! Do what you want with it! Do you have any idea how many people go to Disney that can't pay cash up front, or that don't have any money in the bank? Unless the money is coming from your parents, it's none of their business how you spend it. Go, enjoy, while they are still young and can see the "MAGIC".

Go to WDW and make those memories. You cannot put a price on it. You are not being extravagant, driving, staying at pop, free dining, etc.
Believe me, these early years with your kids are numbered. Teens have their own lives. Try to tune the old fogies out and enjoy the planning and the vacation.

Cute kids, by the way.

My mother is the same way. She can't believe we would spend that much money on a vacation. I just ignore her. We are paying cash. I could think of hundreds of ways to spend the money on "responsible" things, but sometimes you just need some time away with your family! We work hard, we are so busy most of the time that I feel like we are rushing through our lives! I am looking forward to some fun time with my DH and kids. Sounds like you are getting a great deal! Go, have a great time! The memories are priceless!

Helen

It's your money, your life and your kids!! If this is what you want to do then do it! Life is too short!
Don't let others make you feel guilty about it.
As far as that price for your trip next year, have you looked into renting points from a DVC'er? You might save some money and still get a deluxe resort. Also POR I believe allows 5 to a room in the Bayou section. Also, why not buy AP's this time and go again within 12 months. You can save money there too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter