Help me plan a trip to NYC

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by mom2febgirls, Jan 29, 2012.

1. mom2febgirls

mom2febgirls Castle Decorator

My daughter will be 16 next month and she wants a mother/daughter weekend in New York. She really wants to see Rent and the Museum of Modern Art.

I live in Southern Maryland and will drive to Baltimore to catch a bus ($40/pp round trip) but after that I am clueless. I have no idea where to stay or how to find discount tickets to Rent...

Can anyone help?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. unfreshdiva1

unfreshdiva1 DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2Rent is typically 40-50% off when buying day of show at TKTS (show is good where it's playing now, but nothing like back in it's heyday!).

4. Kitzka

Kitzka DIS Veteran

You can get a discount for rent from broadwaybox.com. It's under the off broadway discounts as its considered off broadway now.

Lara

5. scbelleatheart

scbelleatheart DIS Veteran

I have used theatermania several times. For hotels, we've stayed several times at Times Square hotels but used points because it was pricey. The hotels I liked the best were the Hampton and Comfort Inn in Chelsea. A nice little walk but the area had a cozy small town feel. Little local restaurants that didn't break the bank. I took my DD each trip because she was looking at NYU.

6. Jamester116

Jamester116 Earning My Ears

I live close to NYC (Long Island) but this weekend I stayed at the Westin in Times Square. The rooms were very nice for NYC (Decent size and awesome beds) and it is a block away from Broadway (43rd and 8th ave). We got the room for ~170 a night and that was for the weekend.

7. rvchat

rvchat DIS Veteran

belleatheart: what did you pay at the hampton? i like it there as well. did you book thru the hotelhampton itself?

8. mom2febgirls

Thanks...any other hotel suggestions?

9. allison443

allison443 DIS Veteran

Not sure when you were planning to go, but Rent is having a special buy one get one free offer from 1/30 to 2/12. The details are on Broadwaybox.com.

I have used that site for discounts and it is great!

I took my dd to see Rent on Broadway for her 16th birthday (about 9 years ago) it's a great show!

Hope you have a wonderful trip! :)

10. mom2febgirls

Thanks...I did see that and, conveniently, her birthday is February 12 so we will be using that discount!

11. cornflake

cornflake DIS Veteran

I pretty much guarantee Rent does student rush. I don't think it'd be too crowded, now that it's off, but can't be positive. If you want cheap tix though, that'd be the cheapest way to go.

As for hotels - don't stay in Times Square. There are a few NYC threads floating about from not long ago with a lot of hotel and attraction info.

12. tessieg

tessieg Mouseketeer

We find our best NYC deals on travelzoo.com. Hotels, shows, and sometimes sightseeing as well.
    Have a great trip!
    Tessie