Help me get excited about my trip!!!

rmae624

Earning My Ears
I know that this is probably a sacrilege to say this here, but I'm just not excited about my Disney trip which is starting in 13 days. Let me preface this by saying that I have always been a huge Disney fan and have been to WDW many times and have always had so much fun!! Aside from Europe, it has always been my favorite vacation destination.

So... I can't figure out why I'm not excited this time. Honestly, I would cancel the trip if it weren't for DH insisting that he wants to go and that he really needs a vacation. And I know that my two children will have a great time.

We are staying at the Poly this time. We've never stayed there before, but I've heard great things on this site. I'm sure that it will be great with two young children. The monorail and the zero entry pool make it particularly appealing.

Please help remind me why I'm going to enjoy my trip. I WANT to be excited, I really do!! I'm not sure if I'm not excited because of all of the work I have to do to get us there or if I'm dreading the heat too much or what. Please reassure me that I'll have fun once I'm there!

start to get excited!!! The sheer joy of being at the Poly away from all the depressing news, and surrounded by lovely gardens, and palm fronds, with the faint shrill whistle of the WDW railroad from MK in the distance, ...ah, peace. Room service, baby ducks, Hawaiian music, tiki torches in the evening to light your path, delightful exotic fruits to nibble, Ohana's, hammocks, Polynesian folklore, everyone greeting you with "Aloha!" --take me with you!!!!;)

OK, repeat after me:

M - I - C
K - E - Y
M - O - U - S - E !

Of course you will have fun! But I understand how you feel kinda. I'm excited, but I'm an older person going back to school. The semester is winding down, I have projects out the wazoo to complete, and prepare for our trip mid-May. Do I have any PS made? No. Do I have the guest room bed filled with the "vacation clothes?" No. The only thing I have done at this point is make the reservations for our room and buy Bonine and Imodium! Yes, the stress is starting to bother my sensitive tummy!

But I'm not really concerned. I'll be out of school ONE day before we have to start traveling. Somehow it will all come together. I've worked so hard at school that I see my Disney trip as a carrot dangling in front of my nose--it is just shaped like a Mickey head antenna ball!

It may be a lot of work getting ready, but you will have a ball when you get get to Disney with your family. Just close your eyes and imagine seeing the castle for the first time, smelling the popcorn in the parks, tasting your favorite treat, and hearing the laughter of your children! I hope you and your family have a magical trip!

You're having what I like to call "PD (Pre-Disney) Cold Feet." What that means is you plan and plan and plan and look forward to your trip. You build it up in your mind and fantasize about it - and when it gets close you subconsiously "wonder" if it's going to be as magical as you expect. Then you think about all the things you have to do before the trip. It's a lot of work. Thsi syndrome sometimes waits to hit you until you actually get there. In that case, I call it "AD (At Disney) Cold Feet." It's all a matter of the trip living up to your expectations. But, you know what? It always does.

Trust me, once you see the beautiful lush surroundings of the Poly - you'll be very excited. Once you walk under the train station and step onto Main Street - you'll no longer be plagued with this condition.

It happens to me all the time - I usually get "AD" instead of "PD."

Okay - now you all think I'm crazy, right? I'm wondering if anyone else experiences these emotions.

PamNC

I'm guessing that maybe you are not excited yet because it hasn't really hit you that you are about to be at the

MOST MAGICAL PLACE ON EARTH!

Perhaps you've just been so busy lately, that your mind hasn't really had a chance to wrap around the FACT that you are leaving so soon. As a parent of two very young boys, I can certainly understand why you haven't caught the excitement bug yet.

But, alas...it WILL happen. You know what...rmae624...you are gonna wake up one of these mornings really soon, and I think it will finally dawn on you. You are going to Disneyworld girlfriend!

Let's think about it, shall we? You are going to the Polynesian Resort. That place is beautiful. How long has it been since you've looked at some pictures of that place? The Poly is great and I envy anyone who gets to stay there. You're really blessed to be going to such a wonderful resort with prime views of the castle. Close your eyes for a minute.....well, I guess you can't since you have to read this...but anyway, picture yourself there with the sun and warmth....the fun happy music coming out of the bushes...a nice fruity ice drink in your hand. HOW COOL IS THAT?

I think you'll be okay with the heat....at least you won't be going in July or August.

Maybe this will get you excited...

Think about how fun it will be to walk under that train station and walk a few steps onto Main Street to behold that beautiful castle before you.

Think about the smells you'll be smelling when you walk down mainstreet....chocolate chip cookies, etc.

Think about the breeze you'll feel when you ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

Think about the ghost host in the Haunted Mansion saying "Don't pull down on the bar, I will do it for you."

Think about the fun you'll have as you anticipate going down the big drop in Splash Mountain.

Think about how you won't be able to stop singing "Yo Ho, Yo Ho....a pirate's life for me..."

Think about the smile that will be upon your face when you watch your kids as they spy Mickey Mouse in the distance.

Think about the way you feel when you get into the monorail for the first time.

Think about how fun it is to find a Hidden Mickey where you'd least expect to find one.

Think about the feeling you get when you look up in the sky to see the foreboding Hollywood Tower Hotel.

Think about the smell of the burning of Rome when you ride Spaceship Earth.

Think about the feeling you get when the bugs are exiting the theatre in "It's Tough To Be a Bug" at Animal Kingdom.

Think about the fact that your decisions will be whittled down to the following: Where do you want to eat? What do you want to ride?

Think about THE FUN YOU ARE NO DOUBT GOING TO HAVE WHEN YOU ARE THERE.

Yes, you'll have some work to do before you get there. There's much packing to do, not just for yourself, but for your kids. But you know something, sometimes THAT is the moment when the excitement finally kicks in for me.....when I get those suitcases out and start putting stuff in them.

But, I'm really hoping that somehow I was able to infuse some excitement to your just around the corner trip to Disneyworld. I hope you let yourself go enough to start feeling the excitement very soon. You are going to see the mouse and that's a very good thing. GET EXCITED!!!!

Later!

::MickeyMo

rmae624~

Were we able to help you get excited at all? I hope we did. Give us a shout out so we'll know for sure if you've gotten excited yet!

:Pinkbounc :bounce:

it sounds like you are subconsciously dreading the hassle of the details of the trip, but once you get there and are away from it all, youll have fun. If the thought of your kids having the time of their lives doesnt do it for you though, Im not sure theres much hope. All I ever need is to think of my daughter when we plan a trip and thats all I need. I really think you'll get into it at some point.

You are starting your pre-trip depression a little early! Mine starts around 3-5 days before and lasts until the first morning I wake up there! I have actually gone to bed in my hotel room wishing I was home.

Remedy- just set aside some time tonight to make your last lists. Then just go about business as usual. Go to work, make dinner, watch "The Bachelor", whatever....

There is always so much to do before a vacation I also very often wonder if it is worth it. I'm always exhausted by the time the vacation starts. My husband always has to work long hours leading up to the vacation to get his work done, so it's pretty much me doing everything. Not a heck of a lot of fun. I'm sure that you'll have a great time once you are there, so try to concentrate on that!

T&B

Thanks so much for all of the replies! I tried to post last night but the board was soooo slow and then when I finally got to this post and tried to open it, I got a message saying that the server was too busy and I'd have to try later! I guess there are a lot of Disney fans on here at night!

I'm so glad to know that there are other people who understand where I'm coming from. I do think that it is mainly all of the work that it takes to get ready for this trip that is bringing me down. And DH will be out of town for most of next week so it'll be completely up to me to get everything ready.

Thanks so much to those of you who spent the time creating "images" of Disney for me to focus on. It really did work! I was smiling as I was imagining the "scenes" that you all created for me. I am going to start "meditating" on these images at night before I go to bed.

I know that I am going to have a wonderful time when we get there. I just have to get through these next days of getting everything ready.

Once again, thanks for letting me vent and for offering such constructive advice!

i'll be at the poly in 15 days! c'mon be excited! i'll be there... lol. :hyper:
cheer up. u'll have a fun time.

which lodge building are u in? i'm in tahiti.

Originally posted by disneygirl21
i'll be at the poly in 15 days! c'mon be excited! i'll be there... lol. :hyper:
cheer up. u'll have a fun time.

which lodge building are u in? i'm in tahiti.

We haven't requested a specific building. Since we've never stayed at the Poly before, we just thought that we'd just be "placed" rather than request something specifically. Is that a bad idea?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter