Help me feel less guilty...

HookedonMagic

DIS Veteran
...for going to WDW without my DD(12)! My DH and I were scheduled to go to Hawaii in October (our FIRST vacation without DD), but have decided to vacation closer to home due to recent tragic events. My husband is active duty Air Force and needs to be available at a moment's notice. Since I love WDW, it seems like a natural choice, but I feel even more guilty going there without DD.

So, all of you adult travellers, please help me alleviate my guilt! It seems in some ways petty to even worry about such things, but at the same time more important than ever to enjoy time together. Thanks in advance for your input.

Lisa;)

Not sure if my words are enough to alleviate your guilt.....but here goes.

Your most important relationship is your marriage....not your mother/child relationship. You owe it to your child to model a good marriage, and spending alone time with your spouse is an important part of that. I'm assuming you take family vacations also - and there's nothing wrong with mom & dad getting away on a trip alone. Hopefully when your child is grown up she'll value her time with her husband in the same way.

Secondly, in my house, October is a school month. My son's only *job* is getting his education, so he cannot go to wdw during that time. My job allows me to take my vacation time throughout the year, so I AM free to schedule a trip in October - which would be taken solo or with another adult. He gets to go during his school vacations, and has no problem with me going to wdw without him.

Whether you go to wdw or Hawaii, enjoy your trip with hubby, and enjoy planning your next trip as a family.

I don't think I have the right words for you. But <b><i>don't</b></i> feel guilty. Your marriage is so important to not just you and your husband but to your son. I'm sure you will be taking your ds another time.

Try to enjoy your trip and your alone time with your dh. {{{HUGS}}} sweetie.

Katholyn

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. You put into words what I already knew and believed, but needed reminding of. Our daughter is a wonderful, talented and caring girl. In fact, I talked to her about this tonight, and she expressed some of the same insight. And not one word of resentment or jealousy.

Again, thank you fellow DISers.

Feeling guilty kept me from going with my husband for 10 years - Just do it. You will discover the World in a whole new way - I rode rides I never would have rideen with the kids. We ate fabulous meals and generally had a greta time with each other. Of course, we missed our kids-human and fur-babies but I cannot wait to go back as a couple again.

Do it, and don't feel guilty! Last year we took our first real vaca (other than week-end get-a-ways) without our kids. I t was such a wonderful time. We toured around Florida and spent 3 days at WDW. I thought it might really upset my daughter, who was the original Disney nut in our family, but I believe she thought it was kind of special that her parents wanted to spend time at WDW. We've always taken family vacations and plan to again in Jan. Treasure the time that you and your husband will spend together. You'll experience a new kind of magic.

We leave Sun. night for 4 nights at the Poly, leaving DS's 3 & 5 home with Oma. Been feeling guilty also but definitely looking forward to some adult meals. Took the family out last night for DW's 40th b-day and had to leave before the cake, I was going to surprise her with, came out. Reinforced in my mind why I've pressed for this trip.

I am looking forward to spoiling each other for a few days.

6 more days!

Lisa, do not feel guilty... you and your DH need together time, too... especially if, as you said, he has to be ready at a moment's notice! We are celebrating our 10th aniversary in January with a trip to WDW, no DD. Do I feel guilty?--- not really, DD will be staying with her uncle and cousin, who she loves dearly, and has already been to WDW 2 times in the past year, so it is our turn.

Hope you have a wonderful time

Lisa - time is too short take advantage of all the alone time you can have with your husband - who knows when you will get the opportunity again - this war will probably last a very long time.

I agree with Spiceycat. We are not promised tomorrow, and we must live life to its fullest. Go and have a good time with your DH. I've made up my mind to go on a birthday trip each year by myself to celebrate another year on this earth. I'm determined to enjoy myself!

Update...We're Back and enjoyed a wonderful week at WDW! Of course we missed our DD, but we had a blast and are happy that we went. So far, no news on deployment for my husband, but we'll be especially glad we had this time together if he goes. We had a romantic MK view room at the GF, we ate long dinners with wine at Citricos, Narcoossees, California Grill and Artist point, we spent time everyday in the spa/healthclub and followed Tiger Woods at the PGA tournament. :D We spent time in all of the parks, as well, and especially enjoyed the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot and MNSSHP at MK, but the pace was definately more relaxed...we stopped to smell the roses this trip!

Again, thanks to all of you who encouraged me to go. I'm glad that I did and I hope that you all enjoy your "mommy and daddy only" trips to WDW as much as we did!!!!;)

P.S. While our daughter missed us terribly, she spent the week with her grandparents and learned to sew and knit (crafts I cannot help her with). Plus, she made out like a bandit in the gifts department!:earsboy:

Glad you all had fun! My kids will be spending their time at Wah Wah and Pa's (MIL and FIL) when hubbya nd I go alone! I'm sure they will have fun! ANd gifts hehehehe I can only imagine how much I come back with!

So glad that you had a wonderful time. Less than 2 months before DH and I take our "Adult's only" trip... can't wait!!! My brother in law is house sitting, and will keep our DD. She knows that we are going to FL and "might" visit Disney to get her some gifts... I just don't have the heart to tell her we will be there for 5 days without her. We are planning another family trip... my parents too, in October for the MNSSHP and Food and Wine Festival, so I don't feel "too" guilty.

Thanks for the update on your terrific trip:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter