• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me decide...

Stitch1404

DIS Veteran<br><font color=darkorchid>I am not so
I have always dreamed of staying at the Polynesian, it is just the most beautiful resort to me. So, for our next trip I looked into how many points it would take to stay at the Polynesian, and the points required for the non-DVC hotels are ridiculous! Why would a hotel room take more points than a villa? Anyway, it will be my birthday and since I really want to stay at the Poly we are either going to do:

2 nights Poly, 5 nights 1 bedroom BCV (260 points)
OR
7 nights 2 bedroom BWV (240 points)

We will be 2 adults and 2 teenagers, so having the 2 bedroom if we go with BWV would be nice, but it would also be nice to try the Poly... We love the Beach Club and Stormalong Bay and I am not sure if I am willing to give up trying the Poly, SAB, the BCV with the short walk to Epcot, etc. just to have more room at the BWV. Hard decision!

The Poly is nice, but nowhere near as nice as ANY DVC 2 bedroom. It would be more points for less, in my opinion. Remember that going to a non-DVC resort is an exchange out. That means you are paying what the Poly charges DVC for a stay. The points for stays at the Disney collection change about every other year, and usually go up. If you really want to stay there, I'd try for an AP rate for the weekend and stay in the 2 bedroom the rest of the trip.

I looked into how many points it would take to stay at the Polynesian, and the points required for the non-DVC hotels are ridiculous!

Yes they are..and..almost as ridiculous as paying cash..for a "HOTEL ROOM"....anywhere!! :thumbsup2

BTW...In 1971 thru about 74, when the Poly was new, I paid $42. per night there. Gone are those days!! :rotfl2:

Hey... party: Happy Birthday!! party:

We stayed at the Poly last Oct. on a cash ressie. It was very nice, but after a couple of days I was longing for BWV (where we usually stay). So.... my opinion is: go ahead and stay at the Poly for a couple of nights, whether it is on points or cash you would know the answer better than I. The Poly is a beautiful resort and it is nice to be able to hop on the monorail. But I think a couple of nights is enough and then you will be ready for either the 1 bdrm or 2 bdrm. I mostly missed the walk to Epcot and the washer/dryer!!!

Whilst i love the poly and did it for three nights at the beginning of our last trip, it just does not compare to having a two bedroom with four of us. That being said, it is a tough decision - and the poly is lovely, and so is being on the monorail. I think, if you really have your heart set on staying there, you have to give it a try.

I'd really like to stay at the Poly, too, for a couple of nights someday. I was thinking that I would sell some points and use the proceeds for a cash reservation. Then I would feel that my Disney vacation wasn't exceeding the financial limits that I promised my DH I would adhere to! (Just kidding...) But seriously, I don't like the idea of paying "extra" but I would like a chance for our family to enjoy all the WDW resorts at some point.

We stayed 2 nights last May with the AP discount. Still paid over $250 per/night. Checked in on DW birthday requested a good view, they put us it the back building real great view of the monorail and parking lot. If I had to pay rack rate for this rm forget it. No need to go back there for us .

The Polynesian is beautiful...I wouldn't burn points to stay there, though....I'd pay cash

For New Year's of 2004-2005 we stayed at the GF instead of our usual stay at a DVC resort. The GF was very nice but we all would have gladly switched to the BWV after the first couple of days. If staying at the POLY is important to you then you should do it. Every once in a while staying at a non DVC resort is a good idea just to remind us of how lucky we are to have DVC.

How about cash at the POLY then stay with the 2BR at the BWV?

HBC

I have to agree, rent the points and use the cash to pay for the room. It will take a lot fewer of your points this way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter