Help me decide - CB or Dolphin

TrentzMom

Earning My Ears
We just returned from my first Christmas trip and it was wonderful! I could go to Disney every year, however DH does not share in my excitement...especially since we've been 3 times in the last 16 months. I have been trying to convince him since October that we should take the kids next December and he refuses.

When we got home yesterday, DH totally surprised me and said that maybe it would be fun to go back for our 15th anniversary in August (we did 13th there and had a great time). My first instinct was to book at CB...I've looked at staying there many times and it just hasn't worked out. Then I got online and started looking around. It is going to be a very quick trip - arriving early Thursday morning and leaving Sunday afternoon, 2 day tickets - because I am a teacher and have to be back for workweek. I have always wanted to try the Swan or Dolphin and a short trip would be the perfect time. With the teacher discount it is about the same price to stay at Dolphin than at CB, even with the extra charges at Dolphin. It seems a little more upscale than CB.

I love staying on property and I think that the Dolphin will be great. I just need someone to reassure me.

I've stayed at both and here are a few things to consider before making your final choice:

CB is more spread out that Dolphin.
CB does not have a bar inside, so if you want a cocktail you will need to count on the weather. If going in August, this could be iffy.

Dolphin is very nice but because it is not a 'Disney' owned property you will see a bit of difference in the service level.
Dolphin has a great location if you are an Epcot lover - it's nice being able to walk to the park as well as visit the Boardwalk area easily.
If you will have a car, be forewarned - there is a charge to park at the resort. This is different than the other Disney resorts.

For your purposes, Dolphin would get my vote.

I have never stayed at CB, however with the Dolphin you can't add a mealplan(if that matters) and DME is not available. As the PP said parking is I think $15 a day and the "resort fee" is up there as well. I checked into a rate that was advertised as $149 and after fees, parking and taxes it was really $209.

I've stayed at CBR twice (about to stay there a third time in a week), and have stayed at the Dolphin once. I would definitely go to the Dolphin if it's about the same price! Especially for an anniversary trip, no question. Just figure out how you are getting to the hotel from the airport and you're set!

The Dolphin is really nice and the location is awesome. The beds are really comfortable and it has more of a resort feel to it than CBR. Loved it.

We stayed at CB and Swan (not Dolphin). The Swan and Dolphin seem very similar, and they share the same fantastic pool. If you liked the CB I think you would like the Swan/Dolphin. My wife stays firm on the feeling that the Swan/Dolphin does not feel Disney. But I disagree. It feels Disney to me. You could walk (all be it a long walk) to Hollywood Studios, and of course, walk to Epcot. You can walk across the street from Swan to the Fantasia Gardens miniature golf, and you can walk over to YC/BC and get what I think is the best ice cream in the world at Beaches And Cream.

You would be part of the Epcot Resort Area without a doubt, but at a less expensive cost. I feel Swan and Dolphin are more upscale that the CBR, but some might not agree.

Oh, this is a new one! :goodvibes

Usually when someone asks the CBR or <insert other resort> question, I usually pick <other resort>, however, in choosing between CBR or an offsite resort <Dolphin>, I would chose CBR. ::yes::

I just have no interest in staying offsite at Disney, and personally don't like the look of Swan & Dolphin either. I know it's silly, but the dolphin is more like a goldfish, no?? :confused3 (of course, that's not the only reason I wouldn't choose S&D, but that always bothers me :laughing:)

Location.

I love the Swan and Dolphin. I don't get the "not Disney enough" comments, you can see freakin' fireworks from there! That is pretty magical. You can walk to Epcot and DHS, or you can ride the boats over.

I've never stayed at CBR but have done a couple All-Stars and Coronado and French Quarter. The theme of Swan and Dolphin is luxury.

Also...Heavenly Beds. Yes, they are that good.

DOLPHIN!!!!

Same price as CBR = no brainer!

This is a luxury resort with comfortable beds and walking distance to Epcot and DHS. It is so great to stay in this area for the price of a moderate. Also as SAmom said, the heavenly beds are wonderful!!! You will sleep like a baby!

Thanks for the replies! We will be renting a car because we fly into Sanford. I remembered hearing about the parking fee so I'm debating about renting a car just to get to the resort, turning in the car while we are there (saw that Alamo/National have desks in Dolphin), and renting it to get back to the airport. Have friends that do that every time and say it's not a big hassle.

I think my biggest concern is that it's not "Disney" enough. We walked through the Swan last August and I felt like I was under dressed...it is a beautiful lobby. But for an anniversary I think upscale would be most appropriate. Also, I love my Disney soap and shampoo and hidden Mickeys. :) Nobody ever said anything to me about the heavenly beds...sounds fabulous, thanks for sharing. And being able to walk to EPCOT...that's a big plus.

Pretty sure I'm staying with Dolphin and leaving CBR for another family trip in a few years. Thanks for helping me! You guys are great...I always know that I'll get great feedback here.

We have stayed at Dolphin as well as moderates (but not CB). From my perspective, Dolphin is a hotel and CB is a motel. So, no comparison. Dolphin's location is superb as well and some of the best dining on property is at Swan and Dolphin. Finally, as another pp said, you will notice a difference in service. And for me this is a plus -- Starwood really knows how to run hotels. The service is top notch and the heavenly beds are just that -- heavenly. You may also want to consider the Swan. I find it a bit quieter and more intimate than the Dolphin, which is nice for an adult trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter