Help me decide about dining plan

TNKim

Mouseketeer
After debating for months, I had decided not to do the dining plan for my mother and I but now that I've finally finalized our plans and ADRs, I'm second-guessing my decision. We leave Dec. 1, so almost 2 weeks away. We are not big eaters, usually 2 meals a day, sometimes sharing a sandwich for lunch or eating a pastry or fruit for breakfast, with a TS at night. Or we might do a breakfast buffet, snack for lunch and early TS dinner. This trip I have ADRs for breakfasts at Garden Grill, Tusker House, & Cape May (might cancel this one). We also have the CP package at Chefs, which is pricey at $76 each or 2 TS credits, a Minnie's Holiday Dine with Fantasmic package at $54, and dinner at Narcoosees, which will run over $100 even if we share a dinner and 2 TS credits. We also have ADRs at BOG at lunch and dinner, plus several CS lunches which we will share. We also like daily snacks, especially in Epcot where we tend to eat our way around the world! We drink water with meals and usually don't order desserts since we snack so much. So the refillable mug isn't an issue. I've used the dining calculator and with the DDP, I will still be paying about $200 over the cost of the dining plan because of an extra TS than allowed. The dining calculator says no plan will cost $862 vs, $935 for the DDP. Of course, the no plan estimate is for full meals, not taking into account that we might share meals. I know this is long, but wanted opinions on whether I should just get the DDP, knowing it will be more food than we usually set, and pay extra for the extra TS meal, or just pay out of pocket. From what I've read, if you do a lot of character meals and packages, normally the DDP is the way to go. I think I'm probably over thinking this at this point, but I have to make a decision by Monday to add the DDP. Part of me wants to get the DDP because we've never had it, but I think we would probably come out saving money not doing the plan. Any opinions or advice?

We are a family that often uses the dining plan because it works for us, but from what you have said, I don't think it makes sense for you at all. If you are sharing meals, and I am assuming maybe splitting an appetizer, and are not likely to order desert, the dining plan makes no sense for you at all.

We drink water with meals and usually don't order desserts since we snack so much. So the refillable mug isn't an issue. I've used the dining calculator and with the DDP, I will still be paying about $200 over the cost of the dining plan because of an extra TS than allowed. The dining calculator says no plan will cost $862 vs, $935 for the DDP. Of course, the no plan estimate is for full meals, not taking into account that we might share meals.
Based on this part of your post the dining plan will not be worth getting. Because you drink only water and don't plan to order dessert you will be paying for components of the dining plan that you will not be be using or need. If no plan costs $862 OOP, but this is for full meals and you are planning to share, your OOP costs will be even less. If you have to pay $200 over the cost of the dining plan for the meals that won't be covered by credits, essentially you will be paying at least $1,135 for your food.

After debating for months, I had decided not to do the dining plan for my mother and I but now that I've finally finalized our plans and ADRs, I'm second-guessing my decision.
You made the right decision. Don't second guess this one.

Based on this part of your post the dining plan will not be worth getting. Because you drink only water and don't plan to order dessert you will be paying for components of the dining plan that you will not be be using or need. If no plan costs $862 OOP, but this is for full meals and you are planning to share, your OOP costs will be even less. If you have to pay $200 over the cost of the dining plan for the meals that won't be covered by credits, essentially you will be paying at least $1,135 for your food.

I wasn't clear with the estimates: No plan OOP is estimated at $862 and DDP is $727 + $207 (for meals chosen not covered by DDP credits & tips) = $935. I feel the no plan estimate is high because it is based on full meals & we will probably share some meals. However, if we were on the DDP, we would each receive meal, dessert & drink (which we would sub for a soup or salad), plus the refillable mug. So I guess what my indecision is over whether it would be worth it to just pay estimated $72 difference (tho it could be more if we share meals) between paying OOP & the DDP & just eat what we like. I'm pretty sure my mom would not order the same way if we pay OOP, once she sees the prices!

That's a lot of food. If you sub 4 desserts and drinks at every QS for an additional side, you'll be busting at the seams. AND the sub at a TS is not a guarantee. We haven't seen the reports of subbing the dessert for a soup or salad at TS that we have had for QS, and there is no sub for the drink at a TS.

We've always had the dining plan until our last trip, when we did OOP because the plan wasn't available with our deal.
Whenever we've done the plan, I've saved our receipts and added them up, and compared to what we paid for the plan, we always came out ahead.
When we did OOP, we ate a bit differently (nobody wanted dessert, we only get them on the plan because they're included, not because we're hungry). For 4 of us if the plan had been available, it would be roughly $60 a day each, so $240 for 10 days = $2400. We didn't spend much more than $1000 paying OOP (and that was still eating at a bunch of TS places). I would stick with your "no plan" plan :)

I wasn't clear with the estimates: No plan OOP is estimated at $862 and DDP is $727 + $207 (for meals chosen not covered by DDP credits & tips) = $935. I feel the no plan estimate is high because it is based on full meals & we will probably share some meals. However, if we were on the DDP, we would each receive meal, dessert & drink (which we would sub for a soup or salad), plus the refillable mug. So I guess what my indecision is over whether it would be worth it to just pay estimated $72 difference (tho it could be more if we share meals) between paying OOP & the DDP & just eat what we like. I'm pretty sure my mom would not order the same way if we pay OOP, once she sees the prices!
The estimate is saying the dining plan will cost you $72 more if you eat the exact same way. If you won't eat that way, you'll save a lot more. Is it worth roughly $200 to prevent your mom from looking at prices? Tell her you're saving so much money over the plan that she can order whatever and however much she wants.

If you really will order water, not eat dessert, and share so you have credits leftover, then you shouldn't get the DDP. We rarely get dessert when we eat out. In our day to day lives we keep the budget in mind. When we're on vacation we like to be able to indulge a little. So for us the plan fits how we want to eat on vacation. Having it pre-paid helps keep to a budget. And because we are used to being budget conscious, we would be watching those pennies even if we had set aside a certain amount for food. We also travel with my grandma who is very thrifty and I don't want to spend every meal hearing about how terrible the prices are either. We still do some sharing of QS meals to stretch them to cover breakfast and lunch for the whole group and that helps with the amount of food a lot.

I know that you will be cutting it close, but you say Mom is a price watcher. I am as well. WHen my sister and brither in law took his mom to Disney they were not on a dining plan because they staryed off site. Sis told me that every restaurant was difficult because Mom could not stop looking at prices, even though they begged her to order whatever she wanted. She efused appetizers. often ordered a soup for her meal and would not have desserts. Had they been able to tell her that it was paid for and so she should order the moon if she wanted, she would have looked at the menu with different eyes.

I know that even though I know we have the money to order any item I want, I stil would watch those pennies too.

If you will truely not have beverages or desserts, the pan makes no sense. If the reason you cut back on beverages and desserts is because of the money, but you and mom would enjoy them get the plan.

I know that you will be cutting it close, but you say Mom is a price watcher. I am as well. WHen my sister and brither in law took his mom to Disney they were not on a dining plan because they staryed off site. Sis told me that every restaurant was difficult because Mom could not stop looking at prices, even though they begged her to order whatever she wanted. She efused appetizers. often ordered a soup for her meal and would not have desserts. Had they been able to tell her that it was paid for and so she should order the moon if she wanted, she would have looked at the menu with different eyes.

I know that even though I know we have the money to order any item I want, I stil would watch those pennies too.

If you will truely not have beverages or desserts, the pan makes no sense. If the reason you cut back on beverages and desserts is because of the money, but you and mom would enjoy them get the plan.

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with the above that my mom will definitely have something to say about the prices. After all your input, I had pretty much decided to stick with my original decision not to get the plan, mainly even though the dining calculator says it won't be that much difference in price between the plan and no plan, I can't help but feel it probably will be much more of a difference in price because how we order and split meals is different from the average meals the dining calculator uses. Even though we usually don't order desserts, we may sometimes split a dessert at Disney, but we never order drinks. So I had decided to quit obsessing and stick with my original plan, but after I emailed my TA, she emailed back that she thought I should get the plan! Just wondering, and I'm pretty sure they do, but do TA's earn more if they sell the plan to clients? If I could narrow down my TS ADR's (which we may cancel a few once we are there), to the 6 credits each we are allowed on the plan, I would probably get the plan, but I'm going to be paying more OOP for the extra TS meals. And I don't want to upgrade to the DDX plan, because that is WAY too much food. Gotta decide!

This is the argument I can never understand. I suppose it's just too psychological for me. "I'm so frugal I could never order the expensive food, but I'll pay $200-$500 more so I don't have to look at the prices." I tell my parents, "if I had paid for the dining plan, you'd have $40 to spend on your meal, so that's your budget." That seems to work for me.

The question is -- Do you want to pay extra, to get extra food, that you don't really want. But at least that extra food is discounted.

While there are certainly people for whom the DDP may make sense... if you aren't a huge soda drinker, steak eater, character dinner eater, dessert eater... Then the dining plan becomes: Pay extra to cover extra things you don't really want.

This is the argument I can never understand. I suppose it's just too psychological for me. "I'm so frugal I could never order the expensive food, but I'll pay $200-$500 more so I don't have to look at the prices." I tell my parents, "if I had paid for the dining plan, you'd have $40 to spend on your meal, so that's your budget." That seems to work for me.
You never met my Mom! LOL! I remember one night that my oldest was celebrating a big raise and bonus so he invited all of us to a dinner. He drove my Mom and they arrived first. She took one look at the menu and chose the least expensive item, even though she really wanted her veal parm. Then she proceeded to ell all of us how good the fish and chips were going to be! SHe has passed on now, but we still love that memory of my Mom and her menu issues!

I am a bit like her. If I pay my bill upfront, it is my permission to spend that money, but I really have a hard time ordering that steak when I see the price. I am fine if we are going "out to dinner", but on an extended trip where all our meals are out, I just cannot help it. It drives my DH nuts.

I should put together my own vacation packages and sell them to people ..... Pay be $500 per day, and I'll cover all your Disney dining for you, all pre-paid. I'll cover all your meals, at any restaurant, all tips, up to 10 snacks, appetizers. Everything except alcohol. Truly pre-paid, you never have to look at a menu price again!

I should have added that we have NEVER paid more for the plan than what we order. I know before we o where we are eating, what my family will likely choose and have already crunched the numbers. My DD always tallys the meals for us, and while the plan is no longer the no brainer it used to be for us, we do know if it is a viable option before I buy it.

I should put together my own vacation packages and sell them to people ..... Pay be $500 per day, and I'll cover all your Disney dining for you, all pre-paid. I'll cover all your meals, at any restaurant, all tips, up to 10 snacks, appetizers. Everything except alcohol. Truly pre-paid, you never have to look at a menu price again!

I think that you have not given those of us who know the personalities of those traveling with us enough credit to be able to add.

We came out ahead, but ate way more food than we needed to. We wouldn't do the plan again I don't think.

At some fancy restaurants, you can get menus without prices. Only the host, the person seated at the head of the table, gets a menu with prices and everyone else just orders without any knowledge of how much their meal costs. I wonder if you could get a menu like that at Disney.

I think that you have not given those of us who know the personalities of those traveling with us enough credit to be able to add.

Then I wasn't talking about you! lol. I was talking about people who say they want the DDP, solely because it frees them from having to look at the prices and worry about the budget once they are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter