Help me choose, Portofino Bay or Royal Pcific?

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels' started by Micday, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Micday

Micday DIS Veteran

Me, DH and DD (14)

First time to Universal, we have annual passes (going back with friends).

Going December 22 to 24, then heading to Tampa to see family.

Got a great rate for that time of year but Portofino will be $160 more for both nights, is it worth it? I'm on a budget but I could swing the extra $160.

We "plan" on going to parks super early taking a break and then shutting it down.

What would you do and why?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. damo

damo Proud Redhead

Choose the cheapest one. They are all gorgeous.

4. mevelandry

mevelandry DIS Veteran

Type the name of each hotel in youtube. Some people literally make you visit each resort in 10 minutes videos.

That made me cancel Portofino and book Royal Pacific instead. And turns out Hard Rock would have been my second choice!

5. damo

damo Proud Redhead

6. Micday

Micday DIS Veteran

Thanks!!!

The video's really help.

7. thewelts

thewelts Mouseketeer

I am in the same situation.

We had a promo code (40% off) back in August. We booked 3 nights at Portofino for December 14-17. Since then, we learned of a work conflict for my husband and now we are pushing our trip post WDW -- December 22-24. Our promo code has expired so we are now facing $500/night. Can I ask how you got such a great rate?

8. damo

damo Proud Redhead

You may want to consider getting one annual pass. The rates are awesome with it.

http://www.loewshotels.com/en/booki...24/2013&rooms=1&sr=p&code=aph&iata=&na=1&nk=0

9. thewelts

thewelts Mouseketeer

Damo,
    Wow... You may be on to something! It looks like I can buy a non-Florida resident "Preferred" annual pass for $279 (vs. $147 for a 3-day ticket).

I can get rates as low at $174/night at the RPR vs. $369/night!!

This seems almost too good to be true!!!

How does the annual pass work? Do I book the reservation with the annual pass promo code and then present the annual pass at check-in?

Thanks so much for mentioning this.:cool1:

10. o0kismet0o

o0kismet0o Earning My Ears

My husband and I loved the royal pacific hotel! Everyone was so nice, we even got a free upgrade when I politely asked if thy had any complimentary upgrades available. The walk to the parks was very short too and the pool was amazing! They were playing the movie "elf" when were there last December.

11. damo

damo Proud Redhead

THat is exactly how it works. The promo code is APH and you just show your AP once you get there. I wouldn't wait too long to book because those rooms won't last for long.

12. jxtai

jxtai Mouseketeer

any one knows how many room can I reserve if I holding a season pass? thanks

13. damo

damo Proud Redhead

If your children are going to be staying in the second room, you can book two. You can't book two rooms if one is for another family.

14. keishashadow

keishashadow <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=green

Even with PAP discount that is quite the deal! congrats

15. wdw4rfam

wdw4rfam DIS Veteran

Wow, I guess I got a good rate bases on what I am seeing on this thread. We are paying between $185-193, for our 9 nights next October. I booked it a couple months ago under the stay more, save more. Couldn't believe they would let me use that code for next fall.
    On another note, I was also comparing the 2 hotels, seeing if it was worth the extra money. My family actually liked the theme at RPR more, and with a 9 night (plus 2driving days each way), we need laundry room facilities. Once I found out that there weren't any at Portofino, it was an easy choice for us.

16. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

FWIW that rate is almost their default rate when you're going through their site. No worries that it's not valid.

The laundry room in Tower 1 was difficult to find; the book in the room had the wrong info, there was no signage, and the people at Star Services didn't know, and when they put me through to the front desk THEY didn't know either. It was so fun walking into the lobby with my basket of laundry on a Friday night.... Anyway, Tower 1, go to 1st floor (not lobby, that's 3rd floor), go OUTSIDE and turn right. They had a neat idea, where you can enter a code and get a text when your laundry's done, but I couldn't get it to work. Wasted several monthly texts trying!

I haven't seen the videos, but from experience, I'd go the opposite direction. Just goes to show we're all different!

RPR has the smallest standard rooms, Portofino the biggest. PBH feels like a lovely resort, RPR feels like a resort but it's a hotel. The intangibles of it make me like PBH best, though we really really did TRY this time to love RPR (RPR was our first onsite hotel there in 2010). Le sigh...why do we have expensive tastes?

17. DISNEY180

DISNEY180 Mouseketeer

I am wanting to stay on site Dec 20 to 23rd and then off to Disney. My question is if I buy an AP booked on site do I still get the FOTL as I am staying on site or do I have to buy them seperatley?

I figure the lines are going to be crazy so thinking the express tickets are worth but at $89 for 4 for 2 days that is over $700...:scared:

Cheers

18. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead

unlimited usage of the express lines in the park are a hotel perk.
    if you stay onsite, you have a photo express card made in the lobby once you check in.

there is no charge for express for the hotel guests.

19. DISNEY180

DISNEY180 Mouseketeer

To get the AP rate does everyone in the room have to have annual pass or just the one that is booking the room?

20. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead

the adult needs the ap when booking the room.

if it is a couple, the wife might have the ap but the husband books the room.
    they can book with the aph rate with no problem.

(everyone in the room does not need to have the ap.)

you don't need the ap at the time of booking but will need to purchase it after you check into the hotel in order to keep the ap rate.

21. DISNEY180

DISNEY180 Mouseketeer

Okay here is what I am thinking

Buy 2 AP for DH and me and a ticket deal for the other two are family only so they wont be back in the next year

then book the meal deal add on for 3 days which is 12 meal deals

and then book a HR room

So it should be a savings of at least $200 I would think

Cheers