Help Me Choose our Restaurants (Maximizing DDP - and Best Options)

rdw

Mouseketeer
We are doing a split stay, and will have DDP for 5 of our 8 nights (the other 3 OOP). Sat-Thurs will have DDP credits. So, we have 5 TS credits to work with (plus paying OOP)

Kids will be 5 and almost 8 and we are doing DDP to maximize character dining.

Our options appear as follows:
1-Sat night (arrival night) - BOG Dinner. Considering paying OOP. (not sure if our picky family will love the food, but this is a chance to take a picture with Beast - I think? Can we take pics or just see him walking around?)
2- Sun AM - Akershus Breakfast (DDP; Definite, I have a 5 yo girl)
3 - Mon - 1900 Park Fare Dinner (DDP; Definite)
4- Tues - Chef Mickey's Breakfast Buffet?
5 - Wed - Crystal Palace Breakfast- Pre-Park Opening ADR (we've eaten here before; really only taking this for the 8:20 am ADR)
6- Hollywood and Vine (Breakfast or Lunch with the Disney Jr. Characters)
7 - Hollywood and Vine - Star Wars Mickey Dinner (this is 2 DDP - I don't think we would pay out of pocket for this, so if we do this, probably getting rid of CM, the other H & V and BOG Dinner)

We also have reservations for BOG Lunch, but if we don't do the dinner, no chance of meeting Beast.

So - any thoughts on which 5 credits you would choose of the above choices?

Skip BOG dinner and just go for lunch? Or pay for BOG out of pocket and hope the fam will eat ;) We will also be doing Via Napoli OOP one night. If we do BOG OOP, and skip the Star Wars Dine, we can do all of the other reservations.

Or, since we can do BOG for lunch (on the DDP) - should we skip BOG dinner altogether? (I was just excited to grab a reservation :) )

Of course, we willhave 3 more days of eating fully OOP.

Appreciate any input!

Thanks.

As far as best values and maximizing dining plan use I would go with 1900 Park Fare Dinner, Akershus breakfast, Hollywood and Vine Star Wars Dinner, and Hollywood and Vine lunch with Disney JR characters (Side Note I would make sure this is the Fantasmic lunch package since they both cost one credit and you can see Disney JR characters and have reserved seats for Fantasmic). Chef Mickeys was terrible for my family and breakfast isn't the best use of dining plan credits. If you are looking for a meal with the classic characters Tusker House is a much better option. I would do Be Our Guest for lunch. Arrival night dinner ADRs can be tricky and if you are unsure about the menu lunch is probably a safer bet food wise (sandwiches, cupcakes, fries, etc). We have done both and the lunch food is similar quality wise to dinner and a quick service credit. If Crystal Palace is a must do it would be the cheapest choice to pay out of pocket.

However since you are already eat at Hollywood and Vine once for your Star Wars dinner I might consider dropping the Hollywood and Vine Disney DR character meal unless your kids are big Disney DR fans. All in all you have good choices and I think your kids will love your choices. We have done most of these with our DS (5) and he really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the advice! I grabbed CM instead of Tusker House since we have never eaten at CM and we did eat at TH. But I have read the terrible reviews of CM, which is why I was thinking of passing it up!

The H & V Star Wars dinner is 2 DDP. Just not sure if we want to use 2 DDP on it and give up 2 other items. I think both kids would really like meeting Sofia and Doc, which is why we added in H & V. I will have to see if we can get it as a Fantasmic package - great idea!

Crystal Palace really isn't a must do except to get into the park early and take pictures.

Last edited:
I think you're starting off with all good choices, so there's no wrong way to go. I think if you don't have huge Star Wars fans AND your girls do like the Disney Jr. characters, the lunch at H&V and skipping the 2 credit or expensive OOP Star Wars meal is the way to go.

I love the Akershus breakfast, but in general, breakfasts do not "maximize" your DDP credits vs choosing a pricier dinner. If you like breakfast for another reason (touring style, pre-park, menu) I would never suggest switching to a different meal just because it's a better deal.

I like a Chef Miciey in general (we go for dinner, which has more bad reviews than breakfast) so if you're thinking of gat restaurant, I say go for it! Ride the monorail through the hotel, eat good food, and meet the fab 5?! Of course!

So I've got Akershus, Park Faire, H&V, Chef Mickey, and personally I'd keep the BOG dinner, but if you're not sure of the menu, I really liked the lunch there(at counter service prices!) and it frees you up for Tusker House or Crystal Palace instead.

Thanks for the advice! Given the bad reviews of CM, I'm still wondering whether it's worth it to eat there or if we should just visit.

Definites are Askershus and 1900 Park Fare. (2 DDP).

I'm reconsidering Jedi Mickey at H & V just b/c that would be tougher to do in the future than CM (and is more unique) but it is 2 DDP (which feels like a lot). (And pretty sure I can't get Fantasmic package at this point).

If we also do CP, that gets us to our 5 TS meals. 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners. Does that seem to make sense? CP has the benefit of ore-park entry.

I thought we'd regret not doing CM, but I'm also concerned we'd regret skipping Jedi Mickey H & V.

Skipping CM also lets us have an entire pool day without breaking it up for a late breakfast, or getting to AK late, or leaving AK early for dinner.

And BOG for lunch - I think we're safer on the food that way - but I will miss seeing Beast.

Does my thinking seem to make sense?

ETA - we have FP for Anna and Elsa from 5-6 and then reservation at H & V for 6:15. Is there any way we can make it to both on time?

Last edited:
So does anyone think it's a terrible idea to give up Chef Mickey's in favor of the Jedi Mickey Dinner?

I would drop Chef Mickey's without a doubt. We did it and though it was terrible. Be Our Guest Dinner is great but lunch is good too and would save you a table service credit. I don't like arrival night ADR since you never know about travel delays in general though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter