• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

help me choose a new printer/fax/copier

piglet50

DIS Veteran
i need a new printer/fax/scanner/copier for my home. my old hp has died. i do a small amount of photo printing but mainly just regular printing, copies and some faxes. i've read about the kodak printers being good with less expensive ink costs. my hp did ok but had it's quirks. please help me choose a new one. thanks in advance.

we got an HP all in one from sams that is wonderful - about 150 bucks 2 years ago. still works like new.

I wouldn't be so sure about Kodak. My dh got me a wireless printer (ESP 310) for Mother's Day. I'd been wanting one for a while. The box claimed it used less ink, which is why he chose it. We zipped through the cartridges it came with in no time. I just bought another combo pack. We put the black one in on Monday night. I've used it for basic printing (no pics) throughout the week, and we're already getting the notice that it needs new ink. Plus, we have terrible picture quality on the few pictures we tried. We called, and they determined it to be bad...sent us a new printer (not a new printhead), and we have the same problem. Ugh!

Just research reviews of whatever kind you get.

Go laser. I cannot stand buying any ink cartridges. That, and gas are the two biggest rip off rackets I can think of. Pay more up front for a laser that will do everything you need and smile every time you walk past the ink aisle in every store you go to.

Kodak had smart marketing when it came to this, but the printers get terrible reviews.

Lasers use toner, which lasts forever, doesn't dry out or gum up the print heads. Ink jets are sold cheap just to nail you on the ink.

We just have a simple cheap B&W laser for every day printing. We have an inkjet AIO that we use for rare scanning and kids' school projects that may need color. If it runs out, I will recycle it and invest in a color laser AIO.

You mentioned photo printing. We find the quality of any in store printing is better than any home printer we tried, so for the FEW photo prints we need, we just send them to WM or Walgreens, depending on who has the best offer at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter