Help me choose a moderate

jjarman

DIS Veteran
Our trip is not for 2 more years but I am a charter member of the Obsessive Planners Club.

Here are the travelers as of right now: me, DB, DSIL and new nephews who will be 8 and 6.

I have been several times and DSIL is letting me do most if not all of the planning. I ask her to go here and ask but she says I know all about Disney so she will just let me do it. Fine with me. She and I are best friends and I know her and what she likes so no problem there. DB is something of a grouch at times so we don't even ask his opinion. He is basically along for the ride as far as we are concerned. The new DN have no idea what they are in for but they are basically good kids.

We had thought we would just stay at POP since I have stayed there my last 2 visits and loved it. You can't beat the price. DSIL has seen the pictures and loves it too. But...I saw that this April there was a good discount and if we can get a similar discount when we go, April of 2010, we will probably bump up to a moderate. I have stayed at POFQ and am leaning toward it right now. I loved it before because it was so pretty and small and relaxing. The one thing I did not like about it was the buses. I liked being the first picked up but did not like having to pick up others at POR if there was room.

My mother may go with us and share my room. She is very much a person to just hang out at a resort and read. She might go with us a day or two to a park but that is all.

DB has some health issues, chronic migraines, and will need to be able to go back to the resort at times to rest at times we are thinking.

I still love the small size of POFQ but hear so much about the beautiful landscaping of POR and in April the azaleas will be so nice. The pool at CSR will be so cool for the boys. Also, if we could get the cabanas there, we love the beach and tropical locations. CBR is tropical but I hear it is getting a little aged and needs some updating.

So help me out folks.

We have only stayed at the CSR which we are very happy with and will stay for the 7th time this September (it was also our kids favorite when they were younger and traveled with us). We have visited all of the other moderates and dined at their food courts, walked the grounds, etc. If we were to choose to stay at another, we would select in this order:

POFQ
Caribbean
POR

Choosing a moderate is like choosing a flavor of ice cream. They are all good, but you will find you lean more towards one.

I have stayed at POR, CSR and CBR. I liked POR the best, but I have heard a lot about the transportation not being great there, so that may be an issue (POR and POFQ share buses). I also really liked CSR. I liked CBR the least, but that was primarily due to how the check in and food court are not in the same building. They are all very nice, though. All are very beautiful. Whatever choice you make, you can't really go wrong.

We LOVE :lovestruc CSR! The pool slide, food court, theme... all very peaceful and relaxing. We like the Ranchos section. It is the 2nd of 4 bus stops. Ranchos has always been very quiet, but close enough to the pool.

I visited CBR last summer when DSIL was staying there, and was not the least bit impressed. I had previously considered staying there before visiting, but have completely crossed that off my list! POFQ is my 2nd choice resort because of the boat ride and size of the resort.

We've stayed at CBR and CSR and I have visited POR. I think they are all nice. If we were to do a mod again, we would stay at CBR. We loved the tropical theme. The main pool is being renovated and has a pirate theme, so if the boys like pirates, they may enjoy that. I liked the beach areas at CBR better than the ones at CSR too.

The buses are kind of iffy at all the mod resorts. Everyone will tell you here that CSR has the best buses, but we had a bad experience with them. Also, reading reviews on allears, there seemed to be several others who had similar issues. We rent a car so that we can be in control and not have to wait 30 minutes+ for a bus when all you want to do is get back to the resort and take a nap or get ready for dinner. Although, if your DB isn't feeling well and doesn't want to wait for a bus, he can take a cab.

If you want a relaxing atmosphere, a great pool and awesome transportation (nothing but great experiences), then CSR is the place. The grounds are well maintained, the views are spectacular and the CM's are the best. :thumbsup2

POFQ-even my travel agent suggested it, and it was for our honeymoon. Great pool, great lounge-how can u go wrong with Mardi Gras theme! Great price an dhopefully you'll get a free dining plan then...:cool1:

POR - but then again I'm all about the boats! POFQ has one too. I almost stayed there this trip! ;) LOL

I might stay at CBR for the next choice because of the pirate pool and the larger room size with more storage, but there is a definite lack of a water taxi....

CSR does not appeal to me at all. The pool is too square, and the grounds look to deserty for me. (Just my opinion!)

My suggestion for you would be to make a list of what you want out of the resort, like pool, table service restaurants, room size, theme etc.... then par away the choices you have until you find the one that fits the bill for you.

Good luck with your choice!

Karen :flower3:

Definitely CSR! Everything has been mentioned but the main pool area is fantastic. My kids love the slide. The transportation is the best I've experienced at any WDW resort.

POFQ beats POR because

1) First on and first off the buses
2) Small size
3) Love those mardi gras coins and beads! (DD does)
4) Boat to DTD

A lot of people are really high on CSR, and we were considering a change this year, but our DD5 thinks POFQ IS disney, and we like it so much we thought we'd give it another try. I would like to try others, but POR has no interest...watching those people pack on our buses when we get the nice seats turns me off. This trip we are taking a day off, and I'm thinking we will wander over to POR to check out their pool.

SkierPete

CSR because the main pool area is great, the transportation is the best and the food options are terrific. You won't find a bigger, better selection and if you on the DDP, it the best CS location. You can get a rib eye steak for CS credit. Check out my CSR website below for pics and info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter