Help! I'm supposed to be at DW on Saturday!!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by DisneyMagicRocks, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. DisneyMagicRocks

    DisneyMagicRocks Earning My Ears

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2004
    Messages:
    4
    In early May we cancelled our DW trip two days before because my kiddos got sick. We are supposed to arrive in Orlando on Saturday evening. Our reservations at CBR start on Sunday. I called and they told me that they still have my reservations but are not taking any new ones for stays up to the 6th. We weren't planning on going to the parks until Monday. Would you still go?
     
  2. Avatar

    Google AdSense Guest Advertisement


    to hide this advert.
  3. CMKN

    CMKN Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2003
    Messages:
    121
    I suggest that you still go - why the last minute desire to not go? The folks here can give you great tips on where you can stay last minute that wont burn a whole in your pocket! I say go for it - you only live once and if there is no major set back - go live it up!
     
  4. enchantedpixiedust

    enchantedpixiedust <font color=green>I always need a rest from vacati

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Messages:
    407
    I'm guessing the last minute change would be because of Frances. I might wait out Saturday and see how Sunday is. Are you flying? If so it might not even be an option.

    I'm sorry about your plans. :(
     
  5. madge

    madge ... is soaking in it

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 1999
    Messages:
    9,100
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W+GIF/012053W.gif

    I'd call this a major setback.

    **DisneyMagicRocks....this stinks for you & your family :( If you're driving, I'd wait it out and see what really happens with this storm. If it's as bad as they say it could be, you might be better off postponing again.

    good luck!
     
  6. mad4themouse

    mad4themouse <font color=deeppink>Never truly happy unless I'm

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2001
    Messages:
    2,359
    Disney World will always be there. Don't put your family in harm's way if you can avoid it. Keep an eye on the weather and cancel if it looks like there's any possibility that you will be flying into the storm. I know it will be a major disappointment by why take the risk?
     
  7. DisneyMagicRocks

    DisneyMagicRocks Earning My Ears

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2004
    Messages:
    4
    We were leaving on Friday afteroon and probably staying overnight somewhere in TN. I've been comtemplating if we should drive there and then Saturday morning call DW and find out what the status is. This was supposed to be my kiddos first visit so they would be bum a second time round. If we don't go we can go next year. DH has to use his vacation time next week. It's so hard. My brain says one thing and my heart says another.
     
  8. mad4themouse

    mad4themouse <font color=deeppink>Never truly happy unless I'm

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2001
    Messages:
    2,359
    Here's a link to the Orlando Weather . Keep an eye on it and read about how the locals are preparing. It may help you with your decision.
     
  9. Tinkerbell04

    Tinkerbell04 Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2004
    Messages:
    102
    I agree with the above posters...keep an eye on it and you may want to stay somewhere along the way for an extra day or so....whatever you decide...stay safe and good luck.
     
  10. crazelion

    crazelion <font color=blue>Form feet and legs...form arms an

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2002
    Messages:
    5,442
    I would not because the danger involve with the hurricane. My family safety comes first instead going to WDW.

    I have go family in Florida they is coming here to wait out the hurricane because they is scare to death.
     
  11. Rebeccapaige!

    Rebeccapaige! Been to disney 13 times!!

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2004
    Messages:
    176
    I'm sorry that is hard. I don't think i'd go with the hurricane if it passed and all was ok you could. but most likely a few days late. Also if you cancelled you could always take a little mini vacation to Tennesee and see how things are going in Florida. Sorry to hear about this. we took a week long vacation to TN and had a great time!
    Becky, Paige and Hailey
    :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:
     
  12. RoyalCanadian

    RoyalCanadian A Proud DVC Member @ SSR

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2004
    Messages:
    2,703
    I guess ignorance really is bliss.
     
  13. mamalle

    mamalle DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    May 29, 2004
    Messages:
    3,831
    this hurricane is not to be taken lightly and Im sorry it is happening on your magical weekend. I have lived here in south fla all my life and Im really scared about this one. I wouldnt be in this state unless I had too- we were ready to leave and head up to stay with family in TN but as a nurse I have to stay and work.I'm urging my husband to still take the kids and leave today. This is going to do major devastation and if you decide to come- just be prepared for the worst. God Bless.

    here is our local news- its going to be hitting fla all weekend :(

    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/
     
  14. mad4themouse

    mad4themouse <font color=deeppink>Never truly happy unless I'm

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2001
    Messages:
    2,359
  15. maggiew

    maggiew DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2003
    Messages:
    8,896
    This was on the DIS news area:

    News regarding Walt Disney World and Walt Disney Travel Company Bookings

    Due to Hurricane Frances, a temporary cancellation and "No Show" policy has been adopted for guests who have booked reservations through Walt Disney World or the Walt Disney Travel Company (agents that have booked through another tour operator should contact that company for its specific cancellation policy - Please note that Dreams Unlimited Travel does not have a cancellation policy beyond Disney's).

    "No Show" penalties will be waived for any Guest arrivals between Friday, Sept. 3 and Monday, Sept. 6, 2004.

    Guests arriving between Wednesday, Sept. 1 and Monday, Sept. 6, 2004 can have their reservations rebooked for another time period and apply the existing deposit/payment, or cancel and have the deposit/payment fully refunded.



    Maggie
     
  16. mrskay9

    mrskay9 Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004
    Messages:
    330
    that I'm sorry. I know the feeling of being torn about whether to go or not. I know you'll make the right decision...as hard as it might be.

    Go AWAY FRANCES!
     
  17. madge

    madge ... is soaking in it

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 1999
    Messages:
    9,100
  18. swilshire

    swilshire DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    5,003
    Come on down. We'd be glad to entertain you in our fair state if things go sour in Florida. There is a huge event in Knoxville TN Saturday night that would be fun for the family called Boomsday. There are all sorts of activities all afternoon, then a giant fireworks show at 9:30 PM. To give you an idea of the quality of the fireworks, any time my husband wants to skip the fireworks at Disney World and leave early, he mentions that Boomsday is much better.

    Then you could visit Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg or head over to Nashville until things settle down from Frances.

    Rooms might be hard to come by right in Knoxville because it's a UT football weekend, so plan accordingly.

    I hope Frances moves out to sea. I'm worried about the timeshares we own in Orlando. Right now, it looks bad.

    Sheila
     
  19. unfreshdiva1

    unfreshdiva1 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2001
    Messages:
    671
    I'm a bit worried as well as my last trip was during hurricane Charley (waited it out at the Sheraton Safari Hotel) and now I'm leaving on Friday for the 4-day weekend (staying at Pop Century). I'm hoping things will be okay, but making trip anyway.
     
  20. beavismom

    beavismom <font color=green>*~*~*~*A tag full of gecko pixie

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2002
    Messages:
    1,043
    Don't take this the wrong way, but please don't come. This is going to be an ugly, ugly storm. It is twice the physical size of Charley and moving much slower. No matter where this makes landfall in Florida, the Orlando area is going to be feeling hurricane force winds for almost 24 hours. In addition to that they are forcasting that we may get in excess of 20 inches of rain. Power outages will be even more widespread than Charley and it will take longer to fix.

    There are already many stations out of gas, stores are running low on all supplies and we are almost 2 days out. Everything was sold out last time.

    If you cancel, your room can be booked by someone who is leaving the coastal area. Take your family somewhere else that will be safer and more pleasant.
     
  21. mamalle

    mamalle DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    May 29, 2004
    Messages:
    3,831
    I agree beavismom.
     

Share This Page