Help for choosing staterooms on the Fantasy for a family of 5

minniebeth

DIS Veteran
I was hoping you all would offer your opinions~ we were hoping to sail on the Fantasy in 2012, we are a family of 5. My kids will be 17, 14 and 10 at the time of sailing.

We sailed in the family stateroom on the Wonder 5 years ago, and the fit was fine, but I'm thinking one stateroom will be too tight with my kids much older.

We could book two inside rooms on deck 5, 6 or 7 (I think) or one room on deck 8 or 9 for basically the same price.

What do you think? I would love your comments/experiences.

Thanks!:)

Just my opinion, but with the ages of the kids, I would book two cabins, if it's about the same price. That extra bathroom would really come in handy.

I was hoping you all would offer your opinions~ we were hoping to sail on the Fantasy in 2012, we are a family of 5. My kids will be 17, 14 and 10 at the time of sailing.

We sailed in the family stateroom on the Wonder 5 years ago, and the fit was fine, but I'm thinking one stateroom will be too tight with my kids much older.

We could book two inside rooms on deck 5, 6 or 7 (I think) or one room on deck 8 or 9 for basically the same price.

We are also a family of 5 and chose to book a Cat 5c verandah across the hall from an 11B inside room. Granted, it is more expensive, but we at least have a verandah which we've come to enjoy over our last two cruises.

The rooms are smaller on the new ships so I'm very uncomfortable with a Cat 4 or one of the porthole family staterooms. We did a Cat 4 on the Wonder with the kids (ages 14, 12 and 8 at the time) and felt very tight. Plus, there were times were one kid ran up to Deck 9 just to use the restroom. Having the two restrooms, two TVs and more space are worth it to us.

Although you won't have a window if you get the two inside staterooms, at least the new ships have the virtual portholes. Our kids are actually looking forward to that in their room!

Our favorites are 2 category 9's on deck 2-- close to the dining rooms (1 floor up), and only 1 deck down for debarkation in port. Pretty quiet, too. We just booked this for our sailing on the Fantasy's Maiden Voyage! We have sailed in one cabin on deck 7 & twice in 2-9's on deck 2, and we are sailing on deck 2 again in Feb. & April 2012. If you get connecting cabins the kids feel like they have some freedom, but you can still check on them. AND, this configuration was always cheaper than a Cat. 4, but I did not price out 1 cabin on the Fantasy, as it would just be too tight for us. Our boys are 16, 14, &3. And they are messy!!! :rotfl:

It is nice that they are offering a capacity of 5 in the new cat. 8's, though. ;)

Look for adjoining rooms. It's almost impossible to get rooms across the hall from each other on the Fantasy. See my other post today.

We're only a family of 4, but really want the space. We booked connecting 8Ds, rather than get a higher Cat w/ more space.

Thanks for the advice, this is exactly the information I was looking for.

I agree that the two cabins are the way to go, just have to figure out which categories. I like the idea of doing a split category, one verandah, one inside room closeby if that's possible. I guess I have my research cut out for me.

Thanks so much! Like I said, we've cruised DCL before, it's so different now with the new ship configurations/categories.

Any other suggestions?

You all are the best~

We are also a family of 5 and chose to book a Cat 5c verandah across the hall from an 11B inside room. Granted, it is more expensive, but we at least have a verandah which we've come to enjoy over our last two cruises.

The rooms are smaller on the new ships so I'm very uncomfortable with a Cat 4 or one of the porthole family staterooms. We did a Cat 4 on the Wonder with the kids (ages 14, 12 and 8 at the time) and felt very tight. Plus, there were times were one kid ran up to Deck 9 just to use the restroom. Having the two restrooms, two TVs and more space are worth it to us.

Although you won't have a window if you get the two inside staterooms, at least the new ships have the virtual portholes. Our kids are actually looking forward to that in their room!
Where did you find a 5C across from an 11B? The closest I found to that were the sideways 11B's on deck 7 which made them close, but not directly across the hall like you're able to do with the Magic/Wonder.

Where did you find a 5C across from an 11B? The closest I found to that were the sideways 11B's on deck 7 which made them close, but not directly across the hall like you're able to do with the Magic/Wonder.

Here's a link to a good set of deck plans to use - they're much better than the virtual ones on DCL's website. By clicking on them, you can enlarge them so you don't need a magnifying glass to read them. :laughing:

Deck Plans for Dream and Fantasy

I especially like these because they have all the decks side-by-side so you can see what's above and below you. One thing to consider when you book a separate stateroom for your kids is that most of the cabins on the Dream and Fantasy are connecting. If you are booking something across the hall from you, it's safer if you can get one that doesn't connect. I am not comfortable having my kids connected to strangers.

Aft on Decks 6, 7, 8, and 9 are inside staterooms that open onto an interior hallway near various Cat 5, 6, and 8 staterooms. Because of the interior hallways, they are not directly across the hall, but are fairly close. There are also some forward on Decks 7, 8, and 9.

A bit OT, but look at the inside staterooms all the way forward on Deck 5, right next to Vibe. How much sleep do you think the poor people in those cabins will get right next to the teen club?

If it were me, I would book the connecting rooms. That way the doors stay propped open the entire trip (that would be a firm rule) and you always know what they are up to in the cabin (i.e. reading, sleeping, showering, fighting lol!). Also, a few years ago my ds probably would have bolted the room door when he was sleeping; he is a VERY heavy sleeper and I would have had no access to the room. Therefore he would have missed excursions, shows, entire ports, etc. I always have to know what the kids are up to (I am a type A personality though)!

Does anyone know if access to Vibe comes from the hallway where the staterooms on deck 5 forward are located? Looks like those staterooms (especially the 11b's) could possibly be the worst location on the entire ship!

Does anyone know if access to Vibe comes from the hallway where the staterooms on deck 5 forward are located? Looks like those staterooms (especially the 11b's) could possibly be the worst location on the entire ship!

Looking at the deck plans, it sure looks like that will be the entrance. I don't see any stairs noted inside Vibe itself. The theater is right below and there are staterooms above, so I think the poor folks in those staterooms are in for a wild time. It wouldn't surprise me to see Disney downgrade them to an 11Z or something - personally I'd call it an 11NS, for 11 No Sleep. :lmao:

Thanks for the suggestions~ I will have to tuck them away. Family concensus is that DS would rather have his share of the cruise $ put towards getting a car, and DD would rather have her share put toward playing in a more competitive volleyball club.

:headache:
Looks like the Fantasy will stay just that for me!

Will be living vicariously hopefully through all your trip reports! :)

We booked 1 inside cabins for our 3 kids and ourselves and they will only be 3,4.5 & 6.5 yrs old! LOL With older bigger kids... I would NOT hesitate. Get the 2 cabins. You are only really going to sleep in it. Unless you want a verandah for sea days

We are a family of 5 too and ALWAYS get two adjoining rooms. We are booked on the Dream with 2 outside cabins. I havent looked at the deck plans but I know on a different cruise line we were even able to get a verandah with adjoining just outside and saved a bunch....check out the "corner rooms" near the front and back sometimes there are some connecting that are not the same type of room.

the 2 bathrooms are a must with 5 people!

By the way, mousemom11, thank you for posting the awesome deck plans for the new ships! It's awesome and so easy to use! Much appreciated! :thumbsup2

Here's a link to a good set of deck plans to use - they're much better than the virtual ones on DCL's website. By clicking on them, you can enlarge them so you don't need a magnifying glass to read them. :laughing:

Deck Plans for Dream and Fantasy

I especially like these because they have all the decks side-by-side so you can see what's above and below you. One thing to consider when you book a separate stateroom for your kids is that most of the cabins on the Dream and Fantasy are connecting. If you are booking something across the hall from you, it's safer if you can get one that doesn't connect. I am not comfortable having my kids connected to strangers.

Aft on Decks 6, 7, 8, and 9 are inside staterooms that open onto an interior hallway near various Cat 5, 6, and 8 staterooms. Because of the interior hallways, they are not directly across the hall, but are fairly close. There are also some forward on Decks 7, 8, and 9.

A bit OT, but look at the inside staterooms all the way forward on Deck 5, right next to Vibe. How much sleep do you think the poor people in those cabins will get right next to the teen club?

I "ALMOST" booked aroom on deck 6 w/ a room that I thought was directly across the hall. NOT! If I hadn't asked the DCL rep to ask his supervisor what those grey rectangular boxes are aft on decks 6, 7, 8, & 9, I would've wound up w/ a WALL between our cabins. Those rooms open into their own little hallway. Someone suggested getting an outside room w/ one of the sidways cabins across the hall. They were all booked by the time I checked late into the 2nd day of bookings. A lot of the gold & platinum people must have grabbed those up.

Be careful where you book on the Dream & Fantasy if you expect rooms directly across the hall from each other. It's much easier to do this on the Wonder & the Magic.

We plan to have an adult take turns sleeping on our Alaskan cruise where we have a verandah room w/an inside room across the hall. We don't trust our kids that much & frankly I love my DH, but he snores. I'll probably sleep in the room w/ DS who is a night owl like me--can't fall asleep w/ out lots of reading. And I'll let the 2 snorers stay together. :rotfl: DH & I can always take :rolleyes1 naps during the day. ;)

That's good to know, DVC Mary! Just out of curiosity, I tried to price out an Oceanview stateroom and a standard inside cabin (appeared to be across the hall, but who knows!) and it was actually more expensive to do it that way then two connecting Oceanview staterooms. I'm thinking like I'm reading on another thread that the inside staterooms are a little more expensive because of the supply and demand theory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter