1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Help! Did I buy scrappers on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Disney Collectors Board' started by mermaidblue!, Apr 11, 2013.

1. mermaidblue!

mermaidblue! Earning My Ears

My kids like to trade pins at the parks, so I decide to buy some pins. Problem is, I'm a novice at this! Our 3rd trip is next month, so I bought pins on Ebay. Opened the package today & my heart sank...what are these weird pins???

I got 50 and 8 are either gold or silver in color, and have no enamel/coloring at all. Are these the bad pins, the "scrappers"??? :sad1: Contacted the seller & they replied that the pins are "chasers". I know NOTHING about this stuff. :confused3 I Googled "chasers" and saw pics that look very similar to the pins I have. Never saw a "chaser" at WDW before, so I feel a bit wary. It looks like someone forgot to put enamel on it! Just want to make sure before I apologize to the seller & leave good feedback. Is it normal for a chaser to have raised lines? Like if you rub your finger over it, you can feel the ridges that make up the design?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. CarolinaGirlTiss

CarolinaGirlTiss Mouseketeer

When I was there last week there were some gold and silver pins on the CMs lanyards. I think there are some that are legit. I would need to know the ebay sellers name to check out their pins and tell you whether I thought they sell scrapper or not. There is a thread on this same page that has good and bad ebay sellers. That might be helpful for you.

4. CarolinaGirlTiss

CarolinaGirlTiss Mouseketeer

5. mermaidblue!

mermaidblue! Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info & pic. My pins look like the pin in the Facebook photo, so I guess they really are chasers! You've been super helpful. :)

6. pixiewings71

pixiewings71 <marquee><font color=deeppink>Sweet!!! Totally!!!!

Chasers are not scrappers, they are pins made without paint or enamel. You're fine. :)

and yes, scrappers have raised lines because they are basically the same pins without color inside.

7. CKCruising

CKCruising Mouseketeer

If you bought a lot of 50, they are likely scrappers. If the seller has lot after lot of pins, they are more than likely scrappers. If you paid a buck a pin, I would expect nothing more than scrappers.

8. hopemax

hopemax Note to Self:

Yes, pins exist that have no enamel filled in. For the last several Hidden Mickey series, Disney has made chasers of some of the full color pins. Usually 1 or 2 pins per 5 pin sets, for a total of 10 pins per wave, 20 pins per year.

However, scrappers of these pins do exist as well. For example, recently the unused blanks seem to be showing up on current lanyard series pins. People assume that these are the chasers, but Disney has not made an official chaser of that particular image, or the pin has the wrong number on the back. The chaser HM pins are usually # of 20, but if the pin says # of 5 then it's a scrapper/counterfeit. Pinpics will list the official ones, and it will tell you what number it is supposed to have on the back. And usually there will be a comment if a counterfeit/scrapper has shown up with a wrong number.

Also, there was a series from a few years back that had a pin that that was a full color, black & white, and gold version. But many of the gold pins have been counterfeited/scrapped. Such as this one: http://gallery.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=82395&sid=4369.1366050767.v2