Help! Can't decide which lenses to rent for upcoming trip

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by Nature Mom, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Nature Mom

Nature Mom I didn't survive Cancer to die of stress.

Hello all! Have a trip coming up in 10 more days and I wanted to rent a lens or two to add to what I have so I can get some great shots but can't decide what I want (or need).

Last year, on advice I read here, I rented a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and loved it! Captured some amazing shots with it, so it is already in my cart for renting again. :thumbsup2 What I can't decide on is a good walkabout with telephoto. I have a D90 and the lens I do have in my kit is a Sigma 100mm 2.8 macro and a Tamron 28-80 3.5 which is a pretty good all purpose lens. I had a Tamron 28-300 3.5 that was a pretty good walkabout lens, but DD12 murdered it not too long ago and I have yet to replace it. I can't decide whether to rent one of these, or go to the Nikon 70-200 2.8, which I have rented many times and love. Of course, I would like to own all these and more, but as I learn and improve I am finding rentals fits me perfectly right now. :)

I will be there for more than just vacation this upcoming trip, actually a lot of what I am doing is work. I am a new Disney travel agent so will be touring a lot of stuff during training, including the Disney Dream. I want some great shots for my agent page, I just can't figure out what I want to shoot them with! lol

So, wise photogs, what would you suggest? I don't want to rent something that I hardly ever take out of my bag. Thanks in advance! :)

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg WEDway Peoplemover Rider

If you don't already have one, you might consider trying out an ultrawide lens. Especially for photographing things like ship interiors & rooms, and Disney buildings and landscapes, which I would think would be the types of things you'd want/need as a travel agent. My UWA lens is one of my top two most used Disney lenses AND cruise lenses - second only to my all-purpose 18-250mm travel zoom, and ahead of my Sigma 30mm F1.4 (which I also love). There are quite a few to choose from - Nikon-branded 10-24s, Tamron 10-24, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 8-16, and Tokina 11-16 to name a few.

3. YesDear

YesDear <font color=red>Admired by the Tag Fairy for such

I will sort of go with the previous poster. Instead of a 28-300 lense which is an FX lens, I would select the 18-200 DX lense. If you have a D90 the 18-200 would be the better lens. It is not an great inside/low light, ride lens but a really sharp walk around lens.

As far as an ultra wide I would say also go with a DX lens.

I am going in September and taking the 28-300. I plan on using that as my main carry around lens. I will be putting to the test two newer bodies so I will be loaded for bear equipment wise. But I also usually take more stuff than some.