HELP! Anybody out there ever cruised with a boot/crutches?

Disneygrl36

Happy DVC member!!!!
I have been training for the WDW 1/2 marathon. Went for my 6 mile jaunt yesterday & long story short after waking up in intense pain at 12:30 am, went to the ortho & have a stress fracture which means no weight bearing, a boot to stabilize & crutches for at least 3 weeks.

We are 12 days out from our cruise. We booked with DVC points & don't have trip insurance. We didn't make it home from the doctor in time to call DVC today....ideally it would be great if we could push the cruise forward a month, but I doubt we can do this without trip insurance or without ending up with alot of expense.....SO............

Wondering if anyone out there has cruised with a boot/crutches/limited mobility? Are there wheelchairs that could be rented on board so I didn't have to crutch it all over that big ship?

HELP???????????? Advice????????

So upset.....:sad2:

I did this last year at this time! It was a bit wobbly, but well worth it. Swimming was tough, but it was nice that everyone helped me at the elevators, etc. ECV would have worked, but I crutched it.

I actually got hurt on the second night of our cruise last year and tore my acl. Had to be on crutches and it was not easy. But everyone was very nice. They have some wheelchairs for sand on castaway cay. If you can rent an ECV, I would....good luck and enjoy your cruise!

My dh has broken his foot right before a cruise, not once, but twice! Once he was in full cast, the other in a boot. We just allowed more time when we needed to be somewhere. He avoided the water on both trips, but did go to Castaway Cay.

While it is not something you would wish for on a cruise, at least you are not having to cook, do housework, etc. during this time. Have a wonderful cruise!

Hi there, I am always on crutches and was on the Wonder just recently. It is quite easy to get around a ship on crutches if you are experienced and have the strength. Watch out for children or adults who may not notice the crutches and give them an accidental kick. We are quite a bit wider with crutches. If the seas are calm you will be fine but I find rough seas very difficult balance wise. There were wheelchairs available at guest services but to ensure availability, it might be best to rent one before you depart. Hope you enjoy your holiday. Ps you might want to buy a pair of "sports" gloves that have half fingers and leather palms to save your hands from blisters.

I did this last year at this time! It was a bit wobbly, but well worth it. Swimming was tough, but it was nice that everyone helped me at the elevators, etc. ECV would have worked, but I crutched it.
So glad to know it can be done. I don't think I am strong enough on crutches to do the whole thing on crutches though.

I actually got hurt on the second night of our cruise last year and tore my acl. Had to be on crutches and it was not easy. But everyone was very nice. They have some wheelchairs for sand on castaway cay. If you can rent an ECV, I would....good luck and enjoy your cruise!
We have decided to rent me a wheelchair for the trip. I am thinking this will be the best way for me to enjoy the ship. I will probably use my crutches some, but will like having the luxury of not having to do it all over that BIG ship.

My dh has broken his foot right before a cruise, not once, but twice! Once he was in full cast, the other in a boot. We just allowed more time when we needed to be somewhere. He avoided the water on both trips, but did go to Castaway Cay.

While it is not something you would wish for on a cruise, at least you are not having to cook, do housework, etc. during this time. Have a wonderful cruise!
You are so right........it has already been a challenge trying to make myself breakfast this morning.....at least on the ship I don't have to worry about any of that. :cool1:

Hi there, I am always on crutches and was on the Wonder just recently. It is quite easy to get around a ship on crutches if you are experienced and have the strength. Watch out for children or adults who may not notice the crutches and give them an accidental kick. We are quite a bit wider with crutches. If the seas are calm you will be fine but I find rough seas very difficult balance wise. There were wheelchairs available at guest services but to ensure availability, it might be best to rent one before you depart. Hope you enjoy your holiday. Ps you might want to buy a pair of "sports" gloves that have half fingers and leather palms to save your hands from blisters.
Renting a wheelchair is going to be the best thing I think! Thanks for the advice about the sports gloves.....I am already getting sore palms so I will definetly be getting some gloves.

Going on with the cruises as planned after talking with DVC this morning. Would loose alot of points, have trouble rescheduling back to back cruises without having to fork over a lot of money. I will just have to readjust my expectations for the cruise. Cancelled our dolphin encounter & cannot do the Castaway Cay 5k but I am sure it will be a fabulous cruise no matter what because any day on DCL is better than a day not on DCL. Heck, this might actually turn out to be the best vacation ever, as it will force us to take things slower & actually relax.:lmao:

My DH unfortunately broke his foot the day before we left for one of our cruises (he's a runner, and he broke it running when he stepped wrong :scared1:.) He had crutches and a boot. But, Guest Services gave him a wheel chair and we just stored it along the wall by the stairs closest to our stateroom. But, he didn't really like using the wheel chair (must be a guy thing... :rotfl2:), and so he got around on crutches pretty good, but he definitely did use the wheel chair about half of the time.

Sorry about your stress fracture. I hope it heals fast!

I hope you foot heals quickly Melanie and you have a great trip.

I visited Disneyland and cruised through the Panama Canal with a broken foot back in 2008. It is definitely doable. Get the wheelchair, if you can get one that is narrow it will make things easier to maneuver on the ship. You will also want the wheelchair for the airport. Check out my trip report from that trip as I talked about my experience. The cruise part does not start until page 4.

My DH unfortunately broke his foot the day before we left for one of our cruises (he's a runner, and he broke it running when he stepped wrong :scared1:.) He had crutches and a boot. But, Guest Services gave him a wheel chair and we just stored it along the wall by the stairs closest to our stateroom. But, he didn't really like using the wheel chair (must be a guy thing... :rotfl2:), and so he got around on crutches pretty good, but he definitely did use the wheel chair about half of the time.

Sorry about your stress fracture. I hope it heals fast!
I bet it was a guy thing because I am just not macho enough to think there is anyway I can use only crutches on that HUGE ship.:lmao: I am sore already & have only been using them 2 days.....I guess I am using all kind of muscles that don't get used normally.:rolleyes1

I hope you foot heals quickly Melanie and you have a great trip.

I visited Disneyland and cruised through the Panama Canal with a broken foot back in 2008. It is definitely doable. Get the wheelchair, if you can get one that is narrow it will make things easier to maneuver on the ship. You will also want the wheelchair for the airport. Check out my trip report from that trip as I talked about my experience. The cruise part does not start until page 4.
Hey you :wave: Nice to "see" you!
I'll check out your trippie for tips!

Recently my DH had ankle surgery that required him to be non-weight bearing for a month. For that length of time crutches were not working so we found an alternative product called a knee scooter/knee walker. It was a life saver for him. You can rent and/or purchase this item on several different web sites. We were blessed in that insurance payed for ours due to the nature of my husband's job. FYI-it was coded as a crutch alternative for insurance purposes. I hope this helps and that you have an awesome cruise despite the injury.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!