Help Akl Or Csr

heathiemac

Earning My Ears
Hi, I am looking for some advice on my resort. Be made resverations in March for our Oct trip we looked at all the resorts and picked CSR. The main reason we picked CSR was the pool, my kids thought the slide looked awesome. I liked the looks of the food court and it was settled. Since the codes came out I have been trying to apply it to my reservation, with no luck. So I called again today and they did have a discount for AKL and it would make my stya lile $50 more than CSR. I didn't take it yet, because I got off the phone and showed my 9 and 7 year old pics of the AKL again, and they don't want to stay there because the pool isn't as nice...I feel silly not getting the most out of money, I would be happy staying at CSR espically if I could get the discount and save some $, but since I can't should I change and get more bang for my buck. Do you think my kids would like the pool ? They do like water slides, and the one at CSR looks bigger and cooler than the one at AKL.
What should I do ?
Heather

AKL is a great resort. You can't compare a deluxe to a mod and if you are only going to pay $50.00 more for AKL, that's a great deal. Decisions, decisions... But in my opinion, CSR does have the better pool/slide. Check out my CSR website below for pics and info.

I have stayed at both. We liked CSR but we love AKL.
I agree that the pool itself at CSR is slightly better with a bigger slide, AKL has a great pool too.
AKL will have activities around the pool (by the kids club) which my DD8 loved to do everyday. We love the AKL zero entry and I think the pool bar at AKL was nicer with a nice area to sit.
I also hated the fact that it was quite a walk to the food court at CSR from the pool and at AKL Mara is just right there.
The food court at CSR resort is bigger, but also more chaotic. I found the food to be okay but felt the tables were so close together it felt cramped.

I liked Mara alot, but they do not have quite as many choices as CSR.

AKL has Boma, which is super and Jiko is my favorite restaurant in all of WDW.

I love having a balcony and 2 sinks that you will get at AKL and not as CSR.
I also really enjoy interior hallways better than entering the room from the outside.

I like the bus service better at AKL because it only has one stop and then you are off to the parks. At CSR, you have 4-5 stops in the resort.

I also like I can get turndown service at AKL. I love coming back to the room after dinner to a room with fresh towels, no trash and chocolates on the pillow.

And of course, the animals. You can see the animals at AKL and to me that is the coolest thing about it.

For 50.00 there is no question which resort I think you should pick. If it were quite a bit cheaper to stay at CSR than AKL, I would stay at CSR again, but no way if it was close in price.

You can't go wrong any way you choose! But if your kids are hippdy do'd on CSR It's all about them right?

Can you do a split stay? Best of both worlds?

I just did the same thing. I had CSR booked for dec. with the disney visa code and this morning I was messing around on the disney website and noticed I could stay at AKL for $100 more for my entire stay. I'll be at AKL in Dec. YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!

We are doing a split stay with AKL and CSR...they were the two resorts I couldn't pick between so we are staying at both!!! Dec 1-5 AKL savanna bunkbed and Dec 5-9 CSR standard room.:banana: And with the Disney Visa discount it was still cheaper to do the split stay than the full 8 nights at CSR.
I'm so excited I cannot wait!!!:cheer2:

I would choose AKL if it were that close in price, and I had the choice. I am going to CSR in a few days, but am wishing it was at AKL!!

No brainer - AKL. The slide at the pool isn't that bad at AKL, but i do agree the slide at CSR is better. The amount of other cool things to do alone at the resort will more than make up for the slide, especially watching the animals at night with night vision goggles.:3dglasses

i agree - no brainer...
for only $50 more the AKL is a steal...
you'll be staying in a real hotel (you don't have to leave the building to get to your room)...

I would totally go for the AKL deal. It is such an amazing place to stay. I think your kids will forget all about that CSR pool after they arrive at AKL. First of all, the pool at AKL is very nice and the slide is fun. They can see animals all around too. Max and I had a wonderful little ritual of coming back from the parks at night, getting swimsuits on, grabbing our refillable mugs, stopping in at the Mara to fill up with hot chocolate, then swimming and drinking hot chocolate for a while before wrapping up in cozy towels and going to the night viewing location to see the animals on the savannah with the night vision scopes. It was all within close proximity and there is just nothing else like it.

I did not like the AKL at all. We stayed there about 4 years ago, and left after 4 days because I couldn't stand it any longer. It is so dark and dreary. We had to walk, I swear, a mile and a half to our room, and it was so dark I couldn't see to read, or curl my hair in the bathroom mirror. A few 100 watt bulbs would go a long way in making that place better IMO. I understand it is suppose to be darkest Africa, but can't they give you at least one light you can read by?

We moved to CBR, and liked it much better.

AKL!!! :thumbsup2

Fun pool!
(Maybe the slide isn't as long, but you're not going to Disney just for the slide, right?)

Free activities!
(Cookie decorating, storytelling, night vision goggles, etc.)

Animals!
(My daughter LOVED watching the animals while eating breakfast on the balcony)

Bunkbeds!
(Yes, that was a major attraction for my kids... who would've guessed?)

General coolness! :cool1:

I've stayed at both, and definitely prefer CSR. I mainly like CSR because there is lots of space to walk around the resort, and they have great transportation. I felt very isolated at AKL and it was a long drive to all theme parks except Animal Kingdom.

We have very much enjoyed both resorts.

If you're #1 interest is a pool slide, choose CSR. The AKL pool and slide are nice, but not as exciting as CSR. IMHO I prefer Pepper Market over The Mara if you're on the dining plan. It is the best CS value on Disney property.

However...there are MANY activities throughout the day for the kids (big adult kids, too!). The pool area is really nice. The music and theming were wonderful. The rooms have double sinks. Oh, yeah...the animals. I really didn't expect much, but I was truly surprised and impressed. It's quite a sight to walk down the hall (we had a pool view room) and look out the windows, or patio areas and see giraffes, zebras, etc. It's unlike any hotel I've ever stayed at. Great experience.

Good luck with your decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter