Help, a couple OKW questions

kopmom

Mouseketeer
Hi

We just booked our first trip to DW and are staying in a 2 bedroom at the OKW. I have a couple questions

What is the closest building to the Hospitality House (with a 2 bedroom)? My son has medical issues with the sun and we are trying to be close to everything (park transportation, pool, activity area) to avoid unnecessary walking and sun exposure?

Do they have any umbrella's or similar at the pool area?

Does the OKW have a playground and/or any type of sand area for the kids to play?

Thanks

Yes there are umbrellas around the pool. Yes, near the main pool, behind the water slide, there is a sandy area for the kids to play. Also, on the end of the pool opposite the water slide there is a small area with lounge chairs that sit in the sand. Click the "resorts" tab above and you will be able to view a map of OKW and locate desired buildings.

Buildings 11-14 and 62 - 64 will provide the quickest walk to the Hospitality House, Main Pool, and Main bus stop. Always keep in mind that OKW has an internal bus that stops at every bus stop (5) within the resort on a regular basis. This will always give you easy and quick access to the main building/pool area no matter where your room is located. It might not be a bad idea to consider requesting a room as close to a bus stop as possible. This way you could simply walk out your building, into a shaded bus stop, and wait for a bus that will drop you right infront of the Hospitality House; this would actually result in the least amount of sun exposure.

Every Disney resort does provide Umbrella tables for guests use on and around the pool deck.

There is a sand play area located next to the pool deck behind the tennis courts that has a playground area as well.

Old Key West also has 4 "quiet pools" with playgrounds close by. Buildings 18-20 would be an ideal location; you'd be close to a quiet pool, play ground, and bus stop and still in walkiing distance to the main building. As I said though, would be just as easy to take the internal resort bus.

Thanks, I will take a look at some of those locations.

Also what is the travel time to the parks from the OKW?

going with building 23-26. this side is better with small children.

building 11-14 did not have a crosswalk. this area is pretty busy.

building 23-26 when it gets close to HH has a crosswalk - that everything stops at.

I am also allergic to the sun. 11am to 4pm (or 5pm) it is inside for me. The bus stops at the resort have a shelter - that say the ones at the park might or might not - definitely bring an umbrella.

It takes the bus longer to get around the resort than to go to the parks. 15 minutes for the MK, 7 minutes for Epcot, 10 minutes for studios - but this is after HH stop when it is leaving.

here a map
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/okwmap.htm

some pictures
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/showgallery.php/cat/545

They do have tables with umbrellas at the pools. But there is no guarantee that you will get one unless you get to the pool when it opens. And you won't be able to save one by putting your stuff at the table early in the morning until you arrive at the pool. The lifeguards (or other guests) will remove it if it doesn't appear occupied by real people.

What are your plans when you get to a theme park? Please don't take this as being rude, but I am wondering how being close to a bus or pool will resolve sun problems?

We are planning to do the most of our time at the parks early morning/late evening and use a stroller with a special sun shade and of course lots of sunscreen. I thought there was only one bus stop at the Hospitality House so I just wanted to avoid extra time in the sun walking back and forth. Also my son likes to take "breaks" from the sun at times, so we may go to the pool for a 1/2 hr-45 min then go back to our room for a bit (an hour) and back again...I just did not want to spend the whole time walking forever back and forth. Thanks for the feedback

I don't think the pool at the Hospitality House is all that special - it has a slide, but that is about it. The quiet pools are nice and you may actually get closer to a pool if you request to stay by one of those ... you have a bit of a unshaded, outdoor walk to the HH no matter where you stay. Just a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter